collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Which Reserve/Youth players should be promoted next season?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline neo_Villan

With it clear that there will be a major clearout of some sort this summer, most of the outgoing players will need replacing. Fitting in with our policy it is likely some of those replacements will be some of our Reserve/Youth lads. So which ones are ready to make the step up?                                                                                                             I would imagine Siegrist is ready to become our number two Keeper. Derrick Williams could bolster our defensive options. Daniel Johnson is too good for the reserves now IMO and could provide some goals from midfield. Carruthers should be in the first team already but I get the feeling Lambert either doesn't rate him, or doesn't like his attitude. One of Drennan/Burke also probably. I'm not sure which one of the two is more ready for the first team though as I rate them pretty equally. I think the likes of Grealish and Graham might be a little raw right now and I'd rather both are loaned out next season.                                                                         I'd like to hear your thoughts though as I am not as knowledgeable as some when it comes to the youth lads.

Offline dekko

Re: Which Reserve/Youth players should be promoted next season?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
Out of all the players you listed, I'd most like to see Carruthers and Johnson get a chance.  All of them, though, could do with a nice long period out on loan in the championship (or even abroad?), as I think Bannan/Clark/Baker et al have suffered from being thrown right in at the deep end.

Also, am I right in thinking Drennan is more of a winger than an out and out striker?  If so he could fit in very nicely with the 4-3-3.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »
Callum Robinson could be worth having a look at.

I would like to see a few go out on loan to decent Championship or League one clubs.

Although I haven't seen a great deal of him, Daniel Johnson reminds me of a Fabian Delph style player, so maybe he'll get used as a back up in some way.

Offline myf

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Grealish looked brilliant against Lisbon in the Next Gen semi

Offline Villa82

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
What's happened to Jordan Bowery?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

I think grealish will become a great attacking midfielder, I love the way he goes past people, looks really casual but is very effective.

I think Robinson will be a very good player as cover for gabby/weimann, he has the skill, pace and work rate to be very effective in that 'inside forward' role.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
Like to see Samir , GG and Grealish on the bench for nxt season

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
I want our kids to be part of the first only if they are good enough and not because the first team squad lacks depth. Irrespective of how good they might they need to be mature enough to handle the expectations of first team status. That's why the top teams, when you do so one of their academy graduate they look so much more ready. They have often been on loan, and they are simply as good or better than the first teamer they have replaced.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Grealish looks effortless when he drifts past players, could have a big future. Johnson had a good pre season last year, be interesting to see if he figures much this summer. Would like to see a few more loaned out next season.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Johnson didn't have a great loan time at Yeovil, did he? seem to recall he was sent back early - perhaps someone can give us the full story.

Have been saying for years now that while we have been praising our younger players for winning/doing well in the reserve league, other teams have their younger players out getting the hard grind of the Championship/Div 1 so they are "battle hardened" when they come back and also appreciate what they have at their parent club in the way of facilities/coaches etc.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »

He's brilliant on Football Manager too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
Lets send a few on loan first, particularly carruthers, Devine, Johnson and possibly the three young forwards from the youth team - or at least Burke who I think is older. The gulf in class is so huge that I think it's too much of a jump unless the kids are truly exceptional. And I'm not sure any of them are performing to that level.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
From what i've seen which is not a great deal, i'd say Donacein and Carruthers.

Michael Drennan looks ok as well.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
With it clear that there will be a major clearout of some sort this summer, most of the outgoing players will need replacing. Fitting in with our policy it is likely some of those replacements will be some of our Reserve/Youth lads. So which ones are ready to make the step up?                                                                                                             I would imagine Siegrist is ready to become our number two Keeper. Derrick Williams could bolster our defensive options. Daniel Johnson is too good for the reserves now IMO and could provide some goals from midfield. Carruthers should be in the first team already but I get the feeling Lambert either doesn't rate him, or doesn't like his attitude. One of Drennan/Burke also probably. I'm not sure which one of the two is more ready for the first team though as I rate them pretty equally. I think the likes of Grealish and Graham might be a little raw right now and I'd rather both are loaned out next season.                                                                         I'd like to hear your thoughts though as I am not as knowledgeable as some when it comes to the youth lads.

Burke will never be more than a journeyman. We do however have several with the skill factor required Grealish being the stand out. Callum
Robinson must have impressed Lambert with his non stop running in the next Gen.

Samir Carruthers you get the feeling should break through but all players have to impress the manager in everything involved with the club.
Carruthers to me at least comes across as a bit of a big head. I wonder what K Mac thought of him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
How in the hell do you know that Burke will never be more than a journeyman? He's bleeding 19!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal