collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park to host Champions League play off....if there is one.  (Read 5608 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Villa Park to host Champions League play off....if there is one.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
I hope it does happen.

Surprised Richard Skidmark didn't try and sell it to somewhere in Dubai or America
Yep. He could've used it to try and revive his ludacrous plan to hold a 39th league game in other countries.
I think it should be in Shanghai as there are lot f truer hardcore Chelski fans here!

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
Sunday 26th May....lunch time ko.....Villa Park, if Chelsea and Arsenal finish on same points

Also must finish on the same goal difference and goals scored for a play off to be required - a long shot but still an outside possibility.
The total amount of goals does not come into it, just points and goal difference. If the same thing happens in the Champions League then its based on the amount of goals.

Basically if Chelsea draw the game by any margin, 0-0 or even 6-6...and Arsenal will by their match by exactly 2 goals 2-0, 5-3...then its a play off
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:06:39 PM by Tuscans »

Offline nicardinho

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Sunday 26th May....lunch time ko.....Villa Park, if Chelsea and Arsenal finish on same points

Also must finish on the same goal difference and goals scored for a play off to be required - a long shot but still an outside possibility.
The total amount of goals does not come into it, just points and goal difference. If the same thing happens in the Champions League then its based on the amount of goals.

Basically if Chelsea draw the game by any margin, 0-0 or even 6-6...and Arsenal will by their match by exactly 2 goals 2-0, 5-3...then its a play off

Goals scored is considered, as the Premier League website states:

'In order for a play-off to occur to determine which sides finish third and fourth, Chelsea must be held to a draw by Everton at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, and Arsenal need to win at Newcastle United by a single goal while scoring two more than Chelsea. For example, if Rafael Benitez’s side and Everton share a goalless draw, Arsenal must win 2-1. If Chelsea draw 1-1, the Gunners must win 3-2 and so on.'

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »
Doesn't bother me. It is a wonderful ground which oozes history and class. Those latte-bothering revolting Tarquins should be happy they're getting to make a pilgrimage.
[/quote]

I don't like that club, but living in W London I can tell you categorically that your description does not fit a large proportion of their fans. You are more likely to take a pissbawler at Chelsea than almost any other ground in the premier league

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »
Villa Park's reputation as an historic and atmospheric venue can only be enhanced by hosting neutral games, it helps the profile of our club.

And thanks Pat, you've brightened up my dull morning at work with the word "pissbawler", haven't heard it for years.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
That twunt Durham on Talksport yesterday was saying how arsenal would try to lose the game because they would want the extra game for the match revenue.  I resisted ringing up to tell him they'd most likely make as much or more by finishing a place higher.

And pissbawler, top word!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
That twunt Durham on Talksport yesterday was saying how arsenal would try to lose the game because they would want the extra game for the match revenue.  I resisted ringing up to tell him they'd most likely make as much or more by finishing a place higher.

You're joking aren't you?  With a 60,000 capacity stadium and the most expensive matchday tickets in the league I imagine they make millions from every home game.  The extra league place was worth about £800k last year.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »

You're joking aren't you?  With a 60,000 capacity stadium and the most expensive matchday tickets in the league I imagine they make millions from every home game.  The extra league place was worth about £800k last year.

Well he reckoned an extra game would pay about a seventh of Wengers wages for the year, so 2 million puts him on 14 million a year?

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
Good, we`ll need the ground staff to get used to games like that when we`re in it. :)

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »
How about the fact that there's a big tournament for junior teams at Villa Park next Saturday where the kids have been raising money to pay the £50 a head entry fee. Many families' holiday weekends have been arranged around this too. Villa should have told the Prem Lge to do one.

For a pretty meaningless play-off featuring Chelski reserves (the first team are playing Man City in New York on Saturday night), they really could have played it at West Ham for the amount of fans who would be bothered.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
Wouldn't common sense see it played at White Hart Lane or somewhere local?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
Wouldn't common sense see it played at White Hart Lane or somewhere local?

To be fair, I can see how the home of Arsenal's local rivals wouldn't be classed as neutral.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
Because it's a ground easily accessible to both? We played Albion at St Andrews and The Molineux in 1957.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
It will delay the pitch being prepared for next season. Fuck them off!

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »
Doesn't bother me. It is a wonderful ground which oozes history and class. Those latte-bothering revolting Tarquins should be happy they're getting to make a pilgrimage.

This, I always thought it was something to be proud of that Villa Park was picked for important games. Obviously not so much now thanks to the semis being at Wembley but like you say it's a brilliant ground.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal