collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Fans  (Read 23645 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Our Fans
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
I will start this then as it has been touched on in many threads.

The team and manager take great congratulations for digging us out of the New Year chaos.

But us lot should be proud that we did the business when it mattered to drag them kicking and screaming over the line.

We have taken some stick over the years but, when it matters, we came through like always.

Well done us!

Offline neo_Villan

Re: Our Fans
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:12:05 AM »
Agree. I think the big turn-out at the QPR game sums it up and was a great show of support for the team in what was one of the most vital games played at VP for many a year. Well done Villans!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »
I was useless. Missed most of the season through injury. I'm the Richard Dunne of the Holte End, although I did eat (marginally) fewer meat pies.

Sorry to let everyone down but I aim to be back in August and have been practising my sarcastic remarks and general all-round moaning ready for next season.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:19 AM »
Villa fans are much maligned and i've honestly no idea why.  We always travel in great numbers, are amongst the most vocal around, always get decent attendances and we back Managers more than most.  I'm obviously biased too but a read alot of other Clubs fanzines and the level of debate and discussion on here is very considered most of the time - just check out any Blose forum for example.

TSM didn't get half the stick the media liked to pretend he did (only really happened after Bolton at home at the end of April).  The way we've stuck by the team this season has been a credit. 

Compare that the the sanctimonius Stripeyfilth who've had their best season in decades yet boo their team off every time they've lost a match!!

Well done to everyone.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »
It is generally our home support that gets maligned. We are seen as fickle by some other fans because we don't usually reach capacity and don't have the attendence figures of some other clubs. I couldn't care less what other fans think personally though.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:03:16 AM »
It is generally our home support that gets maligned. We are seen as fickle by some other fans because we don't usually reach capacity and don't have the attendence figures of some other clubs. I couldn't care less what other fans think personally though.

We're seen as fickle because that shitcunt, pug-nosed, loud-mouthed, reductive, moral-destroying, Doncaster-fearing twat Dolly hung that label on us when we'd had enough of him talking the club down incessantly, crying about money and not delivering on the pitch.

The fact is we're not. Our average attendance has been about 35k this year, after all the disappointment and shoeings we've endured over the last three seasons, I'd say that's pretty bloody good.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »
I'll be honest with you, I thought I had one of my better seasons.
I've found myself moaning far less since John Carew pissed off a couple of years back and this season I've even stopped tutting, probably due to the lack of aimless long balls from full-backs and centre-backs.
I must admit that I had a bad game against Bradford, culminating in me threatening to stick someone's flag up their arse, and drank far too much at Millwall - but otherwise my performances have been pretty consistent.
I fully expect to be renewing my contract in the summer and look forward to pre-season, after a well-earned break.
I know I announced my international retirement in 1977, but if anyone wants to cover my expenses I'm prepared to make a comeback in Brazil next summer.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:17:48 AM »
Villa fans are much maligned ...
Are we? Really? Where?

The fans of most clubs are pretty vocal when things ain't going that well - the Stokies for example (praised for their vocal supports not so long back).
We were not antagonistic toward TSM until Feb 25th last year, away at Wigan.
We've stuck with Lambert when many might have started the verbals.
We ahve been lauded for the 19th minute this season.

I haven't seen much grief about us and so am genuinely interested in the where the criticism is coming from.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
A lot of people here on this site are critical of our support which always surprises me. Then I started supporting us when we were in the 3rd and in those days all the talk, quite rightly, was about what amazing fans the Villa had. I have always believed that there are no better fans than us and still do.

Online Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »
Need to improve our followings to the homes of football in the NE where we get lots of stick on their forums. It doesn't help that we always seem to play up there on Sundays and Bank Holidays though. Home game atmosphere has been much better this season and I hope it continues. Many visiting fans stated how loud it was (especially the Mackems)

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
I suppose you could criticise us for rarely filling the ground. For the season we were 82% full which was second lowest in the league. I have followed Villa since the 1960's and it was always so, a big support base but not likely to consistently turn out. That's the challenge for the club, how do we get 40000 every week, we did it when fighting for 4th place it would be good if we could do it always.
As for the quality of the support, first class in my opinion. We have really got behind the team at Villa Park in the last couple of vital months, such a contrast to the gloom of last season.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:19:41 AM »
Up until this season I would have wholeheartedly agreed that Villa fans could easily be described as fickle.

BUT

This season we really have been a class above anything I've ever seen down The Villa. A real credit to the club.

I am so excited about what we could achieve and the way PL seems to be going about it and the way we, as the fans, seem to on the whole be buying into it.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 08:25:15 AM »
Up until this season I would have wholeheartedly agreed that Villa fans could easily be described as fickle.

I just don't get this. How are we any different from any other clubs supporters when things aren't going well

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
I think the criticism comes from us not liking DOL and not wanting TSM. But the majority of the media and football supporters in general don't like DOL and nobody wants TSM. We just get singled out because we were unfortunate to have to put up with both.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
I think if we play the same sort of swashbuckling football as we have done in the last third this season, I think home attendances will keep increasing.

League position aside, you cannot put your hand on your heart and say that you have not been entertained. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal