collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best Villa moments of the season  (Read 27207 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Best Villa moments of the season
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
I am going for 10. There have been loads in fairness.

1. The move that led up to the Weimann goal against Liverpool, and the pure class from Benteke in that
2. The move that led up to the Weimann goal against Man Utd, and the pure class from Benteke in that
3. Guzan. Every cross, apart from a moment of madness in the last seconds at Norwich, every save, every point. Brilliant.
4. The pass, under immense pressure of the situation from Westwood against Norwich. Inch perfect for a massive win that has seen us safe.
5. Sunderland, both times.
6. Benteke goal against Chelsea, I thought it was sheer brilliance, and probably sealed a lot of bids coming this summer.
7. Delph since Feb - he has become a joy to watch with energy and quality on the ball.
8. Lowton vs Stoke.
9. NZogbia free kick against West Ham - it all started there.
10. Should really be 1, Petrov leading the players out for the lap of appreciation. Great man.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
Funny thing about that 4 on 1 at Stoke it was actually 4 on none. The on bit always refers to how many defenders are there and it was none but I've not actually heard anyone refer to it as 4 Villa players against not one single Stoke defencer.

You have now :)

I'd also like to say that I can't decide which was the more erotic sight. Lowton twatting it in or the sight of 4 Villa players running towards Begovic with no other Stoke player in the same postcode. I have much manlove for Villa tonight.

Erotic sight ?
You are starting to scare me pws ;)

Not as much as you scare me!  ;D

Sod ya then, I will go and play with my villa snow globe :D

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

I'll go for Lowton's goal at Stoke though. It goes without saying what a great goal it was but the celebrations afterwards were absolutley mental.

Best celebration i've been in since THAT Dalian goal against Tranmere.

I was'nt at Tranmere but i can imagine how it must have felt.

Lowton's goal was one of those 'i was there' moment's. Just after we'd all calmed down, you could sense there was a 'did he really do that?' amongst everyone.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »

I'll go for Lowton's goal at Stoke though. It goes without saying what a great goal it was but the celebrations afterwards were absolutley mental.

Lowton's goal was one of those 'i was there' moment's. Just after we'd all calmed down, you could sense there was a 'did he really do that?' amongst everyone.

He means the one at villa park i would imagine that took it to extra time!
For me it would be the goal by Deano putting us 2up at Wembley - that really was a moment to cherish, and I loved that day so much - from leaving new st to arriving home on the last train - great memories!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:47:15 PM by eastie »

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
if its not been said before,
 i'm nominating Paul Lambert jumping on his assistants back and being piggybacked a little down the touch line after we'd scored against someone a few weeks ago

I love it when a manager seems to care and gets excited like a fan

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »
Loads of brilliant attacking play already mentioned above. 

The feeling of relief when the final whistle went in the QPR home game. 

Gabby winning the game for us at Norwich when it really, really mattered. 

Being steadily proved wrong about Delph who might just turn out to be the player we were sold.

Being proved wrong about Lambert when it looked like he might not be the manager we thought we'd got. 

Finishing the season still in the league when we looked nailed on to go down.

The emergence of Benteke as a genuine world class player. 

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
I think the QPR 3-2 was one of the highlights. Looking at it from this end of the season and the miserable performance of the opposition since, one could be forgiven for thinking it should have been a foregone conclusion anyway, but leading into the game the press had been building up how Redknapp was going to save them from the drop. He'd spent a small fortune in January, they had just started to pick up a few results having beaten Southampton and Sunderland and it looked as though they were no doubt aiming at dragging us into the mire that night as well.

Instead our boys stood up to be counted that night, even though we went behind and despite them equalising at 2-1. I think that night gave them that bit of belief that they were doing things right. It certainly knocked QPR right off their stride as they've only picked up two points since, in draws with Wigan and Reading.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
Gabby's first in the cup game at Man City.

To come back twice in that game showed the character was there, not to mention the talent.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »

He means the one at villa park i would imagine that took it to extra time!
For me it would be the goal by Deano putting us 2up at Wembley - that really was a moment to cherish, and I loved that day so much - from leaving new st to arriving home on the last train - great memories!

I do indeed mean the one at VP.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
Another here for that goal at Anfield,closely followed by Bentekes header at Goodison,two great team goals.

Some of the goals we've scored this season do take me back to the BFR days.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
I think the QPR 3-2 was one of the highlights. Looking at it from this end of the season and the miserable performance of the opposition since, one could be forgiven for thinking it should have been a foregone conclusion anyway, but leading into the game the press had been building up how Redknapp was going to save them from the drop. He'd spent a small fortune in January, they had just started to pick up a few results having beaten Southampton and Sunderland and it looked as though they were no doubt aiming at dragging us into the mire that night as well.

Instead our boys stood up to be counted that night, even though we went behind and despite them equalising at 2-1. I think that night gave them that bit of belief that they were doing things right. It certainly knocked QPR right off their stride as they've only picked up two points since, in draws with Wigan and Reading.

It was a massive moment when the Clint Hill hit flew past the post, I think if we lost that day they would have been level on points or only 1 behind and the momentum of 3 wins on the spin might have saved them. Instead it went to 7 points, and they have looked shot since.

I love looking back over it all now, because despite the difficult times, there was so much to be proud of. Last season what did we have to be proud of? A 0-0 against Albion thanks to a stunning save from Given? Dunne dragging himself through injury for 3 weeks to keep us up? The draw with Spurs? 2 wins in 45000 games? It is so different and for people to not have enjoyed the great moments that have made the bad ones tolerable is really sad.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
Gabby's first in the cup game at Man City.

To come back twice in that game showed the character was there, not to mention the talent.

Yes, we kind of forget the good moments in that League Cup campaign. It is the best season in a few years. There is much more to take from the campaign just gone than there was even in the Houllier campaign when a group of overpaid and for the most part mildly interested pros pulled the finger out with ten games to go.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
I have to go back to 95/96 for the last time I enjoyed a season as much. I think it's because despite being very shite at times, I felt a real affinity with the side. It felt like MY Aston Villa for the first time in a very long time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:07:51 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
I have to go back to 95/96 for the last time I enjoyed a season as much. I think it's because despite being very shite at times I felt a real affinity with the side. It felt like MY Aston Villa for the first time in a very long time.

I'm with you there, PWS. Ozzjim up above too.

They are our boys and we are watching them grow up to become a fine team.

I'm really looking forward to next season and am confident that Lambert will have us stronger still over the summer.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Not many highlights really.
You didn't enjoy the various things (and others) that people have mentioned above?

Really?

As I said its been a painful season with not many highlights. I'd prefer to put it behind us and looked to the future. That 8-0 slaughter will live with me a long time, but let's look to the future instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal