collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I've Started....So I'll Finish...  (Read 11056 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: I've Started....So I'll Finish...
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
1 - Definitely no cast-offs from teams like Spurs (e.g. Huddlestone).

Why not?

Not specifically Huddlestone, but Andros Townsend has looked very good this season on loan to QPR. I'd take him.

I've never really seen Townsend play, but, as he's on loan, he's a player they rate, so wouldn't consider him a cast-off.

Cast-offs would be players from Man Utd/City/Chelsea etc. Players on their way down, generally, don't put in the effort that someone on the way up does.

Offline Boz

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
Huddlestone...are you MON in disguise? He looks shite enough in the Spurs team. Give me lower league youngsters and foreign unknowns ahead of established overpayed dross like that any day of the week.

Totally agree.

We need to trust in PL's judgement and accept he'll occasionally get one wrong, but overall keeps finding gems.

Seems to be after a Hull defender and Peterboro' forward currently.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
I don't think it needs a big turnover of players. Lescott would be a great one to bring in and Lambert hopefully has an eye on one or two unknowns. I'm not sure how much Wet Spam would want for Diame but he's another that would improve us.

As for people moving on, Ireland, Dunne and maybe Given look likely to be off. I'd also let N'zogbia go if we got a decent offer. I'm happy to keep the rest.

Does Diame still have the release clause? That would be an excellent signing for 3.5m.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
Don't really get Greg's forecast of us becoming a 'lesser-funded Everton', as we've consistently outspent them since Randy came in.

Liked Ozzijim's suggestion of a minimum tow-year stay to provide stability, though restraint-of-trade lawyers probably wouldn't.

Offline danno

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »

Does Diame still have the release clause? That would be an excellent signing for 3.5m.

If West Ham finish 10th and we finish 12th-17th? won't he be looking a little higher?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »

If West Ham finish 10th and we finish 12th-17th? won't he be looking a little higher?
And even if he is the missing piece of our puzzle, are we really going paying the sort of wages that he will be looking for?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »

And even if he is the missing piece of our puzzle, are we really going paying the sort of wages that he will be looking for?

Well Bent came to us when were were struggling although Diame's wages might be a problem. Not sure about his release clause (there was talk at the time of being £3.5m) but he'd be a good fit in our midfield i think.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Diame's form has tailed since he was being hyped up in January anyway.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
The thing about our squad is that a few players could (or should) leave, and it won't make any difference to the team: Bent, Ireland, Dunne, Given, Hutton. All of these are on big wages as well. So without altering the current starting 11/subs, Lambert could change and hopefully improve the squad quite a lot.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
Diame's form has tailed since he was being hyped up in January anyway.

I know he was injured for a while but regarding his form, i'll take your word for it.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
I know it is pleasurable to speculate - and fun to be a fantasy manager - but to be honest - I don't have a clue what Lambert and Lerner will do.  Was anyone on here raving on about a big unknown Belgian this summer?  Was Sylla welcomed as a good signing?  Or Lowton?

And what sort of nonsense is suggesting Villa will become a miserly Everton?  Did you fail your maths exam?  Lerner has spent and spent and spent since he came to Villa.  Only under TSM did he hold back - and thank god he did.  In case you have forgot - he gave Lambert nearly £30million to spend this season - and Lambert spent it well.  I just don't get this miserly Lerner stuff - it is utter bollocks yet it still gets trotted out.

If there is one thing this season has taught me it is that we have a manager who can spot a player - and I personally trust him to make the right choices - though that could mean losing most of our 'experienced' players this summer - I won't be crying.

Lambert has shown a shrewd eye so far and I feel most of his signings will only get better - and those that don't will be moved on.

We can expect a busy summer in terms of ins and outs - and may not recognise our squad by the end - but that for me is a good thing - new blood - eager for success and determined to work hard to achieve it is better than complacent super stars anyday.

Roll on Phase 2 and UTV.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:33:50 PM by sonlyme »

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
I know it is pleasurable to speculate - and fun to be a fantasy manager - but to be honest - I don't have a clue what Lambert and Lerner will do.  Was anyone on here raving on about a big unknown Belgian this summer?  Was Sylla welcomed as a good signing?  Or Lowton?

And what sort of nonsense is suggesting Villa will become a miserly Everton?  Did you fail your maths exam?  Lerner has spent and spent and spent since he came to Villa.  Only under TSM did he hold back - and thank god he did.  In case you have forgot - he gave Lambert nearly £30million to spend this season - and Lambert spent it well.  I just don't get this miserly Lerner stuff - it is utter bollocks yet it still gets trotted out.

If there is one thing this season has taught me it is that we have a manager who can spot a player - and I personally trust him to make the right choices - though that could mean losing most of our 'experienced' players this summer - I won't be crying.

Lambert has shown a shrewd eye so far and I feel most of his signings will only get better - and those that don't will be moved on.

We can expect a busy summer in terms of ins and outs - and may not recognise our squad by the end - but that for me is a good thing - new blood - eager for success and determined to work hard to achieve it is better than complacent super stars anyday.

Roll on Phase 2 and UTV.

Best post on this thread ........

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »

No, unless he doesn't have the sense to realise we are the team on the up and Wham are only ever going to be mid to lower table make weights.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »
I think we will be in top spending team this summer apart from the big 3 Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
We will not be buying and Premier League players, period. Lambert has made it abundantly clear he thinks they are always over priced. On current evidence I agree with him. A few lambert specials lower league/ foreign leagues will do me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal