collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I've Started....So I'll Finish...  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: I've Started....So I'll Finish...
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
Really interesting question - while it's tempting to think we can get 2 or 3 key players who will immediately take us to the next level, I don't think it'll happen. I'll go for 'continue with the current squad' - I'd like to think that Randy's long-term plan is for gradual development over 2-3 years, in particular Lambert showing he can do it, and he'll then chuck in £100 miilion for 2 or 3 real stars who will take us into the Champions League.

Trouble with that scenario is keeping the players to get to that point where Lerner would maybe risk it. We all know the score - if the players continue playing well then we'll sell them or they'll demand to leave.

Online mrastonvilla

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
Really interesting question - while it's tempting to think we can get 2 or 3 key players who will immediately take us to the next level, I don't think it'll happen. I'll go for 'continue with the current squad' - I'd like to think that Randy's long-term plan is for gradual development over 2-3 years, in particular Lambert showing he can do it, and he'll then chuck in £100 miilion for 2 or 3 real stars who will take us into the Champions League.

Trouble with that scenario is keeping the players to get to that point where Lerner would maybe risk it. We all know the score - if the players continue playing well then we'll sell them or they'll demand to leave.

The trick is to buy now so that we already have (or can develop) a replacement before they leave. This is where we have been spectacularly crap and have failed over the past few years. This really is the essence of the young and hungry model that we are trying to follow. Lets clear the decks of old guard over paid players and buy Benteke mkII before Benteke mkI gets sold for a profit.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »

The trick is to buy now so that we already have (or can develop) a replacement before they leave. This is where we have been spectacularly crap and have failed over the past few years. This really is the essence of the young and hungry model that we are trying to follow. Lets clear the decks of old guard over paid players and buy Benteke mkII before Benteke mkI gets sold for a profit.

Or at a minimum have scouted and found 2 possible replacements and have a deal in place before selling and seeing the price hike by 3 million.

But going back to Greg - every other club in the league is in the same boat - players play well other clubs buy them. Only United, Chelsea and City are able to fight that, but their players still look for better things.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

That's some trick though. Can anyone honestly say hand on heart that if say Arsenal make a bid this summer, we won't get Benteke making noises about wanting to play CL football?  In a sensible world you'd have to say it would probably be in his interests to stay here another season learning his trade, but I doubt he'd see it that way once the pound notes are waived in front of him and his Agent. One of the crap realities of the modern game - as soon as you start getting good, you lose your players.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

That's some trick though. Can anyone honestly say hand on heart that if say Arsenal make a bid this summer, we won't get Benteke making noises about wanting to play CL football?  In a sensible world you'd have to say it would probably be in his interests to stay here another season learning his trade, but I doubt he'd see it that way once the pound notes are waived in front of him and his Agent. One of the crap realities of the modern game - as soon as you start getting good, you lose your players.

This is, unfortunately, the reality nowadays.  I think Lambert has a good chance of persuading Benteke to stay another season, but if he doesn't then we just have to get the best deal possible and look for a good replacement.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
I agree with you on that Greg. If someone waves big notes, he will go, that is the way of things in football. Sad, but true, and one of the things I hate the most. You almost wish there was a 2 season cap after a player moves that they cannot go, so at least a bit more planning and building could be done.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
A blind man can see that our defence is nowwhere near good enough.  We need some re-inforcemnts, and they'll need Prem experience of that I'm sure.  If we only buy 2 players we need them to be sufficiently experienced to help us right the wrongs of this season.  Centre half and centre mid.

Online mrastonvilla

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I agree completely that he will eventually go elsewhere. So lets be proactive and plan for it rather than reactive and end up with signings like Ireland and to a lesser degree nzogbia. Villa should be at the top of the list for young players who are determined to succeed because we will give them a chance, not old wasters because we will pay them the money.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
I agree completely that he will eventually go elsewhere. So lets be proactive and plan for it rather than reactive and end up with signings like Ireland and to a lesser degree nzogbia. Villa should be at the top of the list for young players who are determined to succeed because we will give them a chance, not old wasters because we will pay them the money.

I'm hoping that potential replacements are being scouted and discussed as we speak.  And if we've never heard of them so what?  Who'd heard of Benteke before last summer?

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
A blind man can see that our defence is nowwhere near good enough.  We need some re-inforcemnts, and they'll need Prem experience of that I'm sure.  If we only buy 2 players we need them to be sufficiently experienced to help us right the wrongs of this season.  Centre half and centre mid.
Mostly agree. I am fully behind PL predominantly buying young and hungry starlets but the quality of the defensive minded players needs improving regardless of their experience. I don't necessarily believe we are missing experience but I am certain the problem is a lack of leadership and quality which an individual can have at any age. Two recruits minimum and let's get rid of the deadwood pronto.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
1 - Definitely no cast-offs from teams like Spurs (e.g. Huddlestone).

Why not?

Not specifically Huddlestone, but Andros Townsend has looked very good this season on loan to QPR. I'd take him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
1 - Definitely no cast-offs from teams like Spurs (e.g. Huddlestone).

Why not?

Not specifically Huddlestone, but Andros Townsend has looked very good this season on loan to QPR. I'd take him.

My fear with Townsend is that he looks like the sort of player that's burst onto the scene and had a good six months, but will fade away once other teams work him out. The fact he's had 10 clubs in his career suggests he doesn't tend to replicate that form. Although I suppose he could be coming of age.

Offline Wiggz

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
OK, I see the consensus is keep the current squad largely intact.

My ONLY worry with that is that this is precisely what Wigan did, betting on the fact that experience of recent seasons and growth would help them slowly move up the table.  It didn't  They were hit with vicious injuries, but, similarly, if that happened at Villa we'd be screwed too.

So, I can see Benteke staying, simply because I can't see the other clubs stumping up the cash on a gamble.  Yes, gamble.  We'd seen many players storm into the league the first season and do well....I think there is a caution, luckily for us as I think Benteke is the real deal, when buying 1 season wonders now.

Furthermore, the rise in TV money benefits nobody....with the rise in TV money, so does the rise in transfer fees having to be paid as clubs know you have said money.  It's a snowball effect and does nothing other than provide a better cashflow to make the books look better.

I'll nail my colours to the mast now....I want us to keep the same squad.  I'd like to see us get a young hungry Goalkeeper as I can see Shay leaving.  Guzan is great but again, I want a more than capable backup.  I also want us to get another good solid Centre Back.  I've been impressed with Baker's maturity over the last couple of months after a really rocky start.  I still think Clark is the better option and remind me of Barry at left centre back all those years ago, and I'd love to have another experienced centre back to rotate him with.

Going forward, I'd be looking to offload N'Zogbia and look to bring in somebody creative with a bit of flair to replace him.....that's where I'd like to see the bulk of the money spent...on that one player.  An x-factor.  Counter attack works fine, but we need a plan B.

Other than that, I'd like to see us finish between the 12th-8th position and see some solid progress.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
I don't think it needs a big turnover of players. Lescott would be a great one to bring in and Lambert hopefully has an eye on one or two unknowns. I'm not sure how much Wet Spam would want for Diame but he's another that would improve us.

As for people moving on, Ireland, Dunne and maybe Given look likely to be off. I'd also let N'zogbia go if we got a decent offer. I'm happy to keep the rest.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
Huddlestone...are you MON in disguise? He looks shite enough in the Spurs team. Give me lower league youngsters and foreign unknowns ahead of established overpayed dross like that any day of the week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal