collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: They think it’s all over…  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Londonvilla

They think it’s all over…
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
Sorry long post

I've been thinking about my end of term report. The problem is I like many people out there play football manager so the idea of buying lots of expensive players and transforming the team overnight make sense. However we are still in my opinion still one season away from being on a sound financial footing even taking into consideration the riches that are on offer from the start of next season. As a result my review reflects the fact that all the teams at the bottom of the league share one thing in common, they all recruited a large number of players last summer, who all went into the first-team. So we all know we may need five or six players to come in this summer, but only two or three should go straight into the first-team the rest should be brought through over the season. This means we can’t afford to get rid of everybody just because they are not playing regular first-team football. Anyway who do you think will pay money for Stephen Ireland or Alan Hutton. Would you? We don’t want other teams cast off so why should they want ours.

Anyway here’s my player review for this season

Given-he did not let us down when he played, did not complain, top pro but time to go. Happy to listen to offers.

Guzan- his contract had ended and he had left the club, effectively he was a free transfer and must go down as one of the bargains of the season. Look tired towards the end but I can see him being first choice keeper for the next five years.

Vlaar-I was a little concerned when we signed him, as I’d seen him play on television a couple of times I had down as good on the ball but with the turning circle of an oil tanker. He proved to be better than that, but he needs a mobile partner in the centre of the defence. I would be happy to listen to offers

Clark-I still say his best position is defensive midfield/holding player, but the problem is when he plays in the centre of defence he is too similar to concrete Ron, in that he needs a mobile partner. In the right combination he can still develop into a future Villa captain

Bennett-I can see why he wasn't Lambert’s first choice for this position, because he’s far from the finished article if he improves at the same rate next season I would expect there will be no question about whether we should have a top-class backup in this position by the end of next season.

Stevens- confidence is everything in football and if you don’t play in the first-team you’ll never get the confidence that you need. Currently he looks like a championship player. If we can’t loan him out. Happy to listen to offers.

Lichaj- I hope we offer him a new deal he has been at the club a long time and is too good for the championship but not quite good enough yet for the premiership. We need strength in depth and he is cheap.

Baker- I saw him play for Plymouth Argyle against Newcastle (I was up in Newcastle had nothing to do so went to the  match) and thought that he would make the grade. The problem is you need to play him with someone who is quick. The prospect of Baker and Clark or Baker and concrete Ron does not fire me with enthusiasm.

Lowton- I’m going to say something controversial so prepare yourself, Lowton is not a full-back he is a central midfield player. There I said it. Discuss

Ireland- one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen was his performance against Wigan. He seems like a decent bloke, (thrown himself into working with the club’s official charities) but clearly there is something wrong in his personal life which means that he is mentally very fragile. I’m not sure anyone will take him even if we gave him a free I just hope he can turn himself round in the off-season. Happy to listen to offers

El Ahmadi- started like a train and then literally ran out of steam, I hope its first season syndrome, as we need players to help us close out games. Could he be the player we bring on with 10 minutes to go, to calm things down and enable us to hold out in games?

N'Zogbia- if he looked up, and was more of a team player, he would be in the squad of one of the teams fighting it out for champion league places, his lack of vision and lack of dedication is shocking. Another player, I don’t think we could sell, so we need to try and work out what to do with him. I only hope one of the promoted teams fancy him and takes him off our hands. Overjoyed at the prospect of listening to offers

Albrighton- a player who got a new contract and then stopped developing. Not sure even a championship club would want him on loan. Happy to listen to offers

Holman- I should have guess that anybody brought into the club, by Alex McLeish would fail to deliver. He’s gone from steady Eddie to headless chicken. First season syndrome? I hope so

Westwood-why do people go abroad when there’s talent like this in the championship. Fabulous player, cost us pennies, will play for England.

Delph- can the real Fabian Delph please stand up. At his best he has the potential to be a real star but sometimes I would like to run up to him and slap in the face with a wet towel and tell him to get a grip. In truth confidence is everything and as his confidence grows he will improve.

Sylla- this is why Martin O’Neill should never work again. If you can get players that good, that cheaply from foreign leagues why would you not do it. He will get better and better.

iBannan- personally I had high hopes for him, and I feel that he has actually let me down. He Is clearly talented but he still makes the wrong decisions at the wrong time. Is he a premiership player the answer is probably yes, Is he what we need right now the answer is probably no. I would probably keeping for one more season before considering listening to offers

Herd- has never really let us down and he’s never really had a chance apart from when McLeish was playing seven defenders in the team. We need to have a competitive squad and he seems to have the right attitude. Keep him around he can do a job if needed.

Gardner- by now he should have replaced Frank Lampard in the England squad but I’m not sure what all of those injuries would have done to him. I have my fingers and toes crossed that he will stay fit because if he does and is anywhere near as good as we all hope he is then we have a superstar,

Bent- I smell a rat, there’s no way you just don’t play Darren Bent, something must have happened for him to have played so few games in a season. He still worth in my opinion £15 million so if we are not going to use him we should try and cash in. Listen to offers but I would not accept one penny less than £15 million.

Agbonlahor- I’ve always preferred him playing as a lone striker as opposed to out wide however the formation we play (433) suits him. I think he is nailed on to get at least 10 goals next season with six or seven assists. He’s been great in the second half of the season

Benteke- it’s a terrible thing to say but he is too good for us in our present stage of development, cashing in and re-investing the money has to be a serious consideration.......... Who am I trying to kid let’s try everything to keep him. It’s a World Cup year he is better off in our first team than somebody else’s reserves.

Bowery- potential but needs game time if he is going to develop, not sure he’ll get it at the Villa, not sure that any club in the championship will want him on loan.

Delfouneso-he has all the physical assets of a top-class striker, but many of us have doubts. For me I look at Danny Welbeck who doesn’t score any goals and still holds a place down in the Manchester United squad due to his all round play. If Lambert wants to keep him I'm happy with that decision

Weimann- if he played as a central striker, I think he could score 20 goals a season I'm disappointed that he hasn't signed a new contract as I'm sure Arsenal and Tottenham would take him if you became available. Let’s sign him up now

So there’s my list of players who have kicked a football in anger in the premiership (I've left out the guy we got on loan from Tottenham as he is not ours and a club like Aston Villa should never be developing players for our rivals) Squad players who haven’t played a first-team game can go as they are just filling up places that should be taken by younger players coming through.

Finally thank you Mr Lambert I expected a transitional season with ups and downs, but I didn't expect to see us play some great football, admittedly only for 20 minute spells in the first half of the season. The second half of the season has seen us play better for longer periods of time and the Sunderland game made up for the Chelsea game.

I look forward to next season with renewed hope.

David O’Leary, Martin O’Neill, Alex McLeish, you deserve your place in the Villa hall of shame, you should never be allowed to work again.

Ron Saunders, Tony Barton ,Brian little, Ron Atkinson, Graham Taylor, and Paul Lambert welcome to the Villa hall of fame

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: They think it’s all over…
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:15 PM »

iBannan

Jeeze, imagine how small the iBannan mini will be!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Agreed on a lot of that, especially Ireland and the Fonz, on whom most H&Vers think very differently.

No way will we get £15m or anywhere near it for Bent, sadly. He hasn't played regularly in 15 months for one reason or another. Football moves fast and a player's stock can rise or fall very quickly. It will be 6m-7m I think.

Lowton at CM? Hmm, we're already a bit lightweight in there if both Delph and Sylla don't play and one of Lowton's best attributes is his crossing.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »

Paul Lambert welcome to the Villa hall of fame

With all due respect, we have just escaped relegation in the last week of the season and lost a two legged semi-final to a League Two team.  Although there are definite positives to take from the season the above statement may be a little premature!!

One thing Paul Lambert has done though is get the fans back onside and it now feels like the whole club is moving in the same direction.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »

iBannan

Jeeze, imagine how small the iBannan mini will be!

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »
Good Analysis of the team and not too much I would disagree with. My assessment of the players as below:-

Keepers

Guzan - 9 - excellent season considering he was released end of last. He believes and makes the most out of his abilities. He is positive and most of the time commanding. No 1 fixed in. STAY

Given - 6 - done nothing wrong but did look edgy in games he has played. Great guy but has to move on. GO  - Fee - 0 Wages 40K

Marshall - N/R - not sure what he does anymore tbh. If he is good around the place and brings the kids along keep him.

Defenders

Lowton - 8 - grew into the season and has started to look a real prospect and has nailed on the RB position. Ocassionally makes errors in defense but will kick on next season - STAY

Lichaj - 7 - as a reserve RB he does a good job and can fill in two positions. He deserves a new deal and should stay. - STAY

Bennett - 6.5 - he like Lowton has grown into the season and looks a player who thrives on confidence. He has a sweet left foot and delivers some great crosses. Needs to improve defensively - STAY

Vlaar - 6.5 - done a decent job but nothing spectacular. Injuries have cost him and I hope next season he gets a consistent run and I would hope he will grow. - STAY

Clark  - 6 - like Vlaar above has not been great for me this season but did take a heavy toll of carrying the defence for long periods which in a young team was a terrible burden. He deserves to stay but not first choice at the moment - STAY

Baker - 7 - he has performed beyond expectations this season and without him towards the end of the season we would have really struggled. Yes he has made mistakes yes he is rash but he is also brave and gives his all. He should Stay and battle with Clark for the third choice CB position and can cover at LB - STAY

Dunne - N/R - has to go. First season he was great but not to play all season due to injury says it all. GO Fee - 0 - Wages 50K

Stevens - 6 - not a great deal of games played but he didnt let anyone down. For me he will not take us into the top 10 of the prem so he deserves the chance to go and play elsewhere - GO Fee 500K Wages 10K

Midfielders

Delph - 7 - Like lowton and bennett has grown into the team this season and against Chelsea was the best I have seen him taking the ball and driving forward not just taking the simple pass sidewards. STAY

Westwood - 8 - In mid season him and bannan were in and out of the team but he made that position his own. Great passer of the ball and does the role very well  - STAY

Bannan -4 - Not good enough for me. He just isnt good enough for AVFC. He plays too many sidewards balls and can not affect a game  [exclude set pieces] at the highest level - GO Fee- 2m Wages 20K

Ireland - 3 - Against united he played very well and I thought he could kick on. Against bradford second leg he was a disgrace and hasnt been seen since. He must leave pay him up. Bad egg and wont change - GO Fee - 0 Wages 50K

Holman - 5 - started season reasonably well and works incredibly hard but has lost his way and for me I dont think is a top ten premier league player - GO 2m Wages - 20K

KEA - 5 - have considered this one and am willing to give him another season but he hasnt convinced for me. Worry he cant adapt to the tempo of the prem - STAY JUST

Gardner - N/R - really hope he comes back as the promising player we hoped we had pre injury. - STAY

Sylla - 6.5  - full of energy drive and enthuisiam am excited by him. Odd dodgy ball at times but against chelsea first half he was immense. - STAY

Herd - 6 - first half of the season did ok for me and when called on worked hard and gives his all. Deserves a chance next season and is a great all round utility player - STAY

STRIKERS/WINGERS

Benteke - 9.5 - what can you say immense, powerful, strong, quick and he scores goals. We have to build the side around this man. - STAY

Gabby - 7 - first half of the season poor second half of the season superb. Scored vital goals. Villa through and through and scores goals when we need them most - STAY

Weimann - 8 - revelation this season. Works his socks off intelligent and scores alot of very good goals - STAY

NZog - 5.5 - so much talent but he reminds me of downing inconsistent and doesnt do it when you need him most. For me he doesnt fit the Lambo way - GO - Fee 5m Wages 50K

Bent - 6 - feel for the guy because he hasnt had the rub of the green this term, but thats the way football goes sometime. He deserves his chance elsewhere and will blatatly score against us - GO Fee 8m Wages 50K

Fonz - N/R - hasnt ripped up the Championship and for me isnt going to make it. He has had alot of chances - GO Fee 1.5m Wages 15K

Albrighton - N/R - hasnt played enough to warrant a rating. Did really have high hopes for the lad a few years back but I like Bannan I dont think he is a top ten prem player consistently. GO - Fee 2m Wages 15K

Bowery - 6- hasnt had many opportunities but like KEA deserves another chance next season. He could turn into a Fonz but as yet deserves to prove that one way or another - STAY

So based on the above with Marshall as third choice keeper I have 18 players. I have generated 21m in sales and 320K a week on wages.

For me we need to buy 4-5 players who are better than what we have to get a squad of 22 with a couple of the likes of d.johnson, carruthers, burke, williams to come through as others have in the past if needed.

Goalkeepers we need a number 2 to Guzan and would suggest Siegrist could be the man to stepup. If not we buy an up and coming keeper and let him develop.

Defenders - we need a quality CH. A number 1 - Dawson would be great but not going to get him. We need a physical presence. LB is clearly interesting if one is available we should go for it. If not Baker, Clark or Bennett battle it out.

Midfielders

We need to buy a player of quality to play alongside the others mentioned above. For me its that player who gets into the box and scores goals. Westwood starts for me. Delph and Sylla to fight out one spot and then a player of proven quality to sit at the top of the triangle.

Strikers/Wingers

With the players I have got rid of we only have 4 left. So we need two in here. We need a player who can play on the flanks and then for me we need a player to challenge Benteke.

So I have proposed 5-6 players. With the 320K a week wages released thats circa 50K a man. It works. To me randy needs to give Lambo 20m on top of the 21m generated from sales. 40m and 320K wages to play with I think we can kick on big time to challenge everton, liverpool - top six top eight.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »
Dunne will go. Given and Bent need to go for their sake to play football and for ours as we can't justify the wages if the aren't playing. Stevens, Albrighton and Delfouneso should be sold for whatever we can get for them. Ireland too, although I'm not sure someone would even pay his wages let alone pay us for the privilege of doing so. I would be wanting KEA and Holman to show more if they are to stay after next season. And I have question marks to varying degrees over Bennett, Lichaj, Clark, Baker and Vlaar. I would keep them all but that is the main area we need to strengthen this summer. At the back there has been no competition for places and no opportunities to take shell shocked individuals out of the firing line.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
If he's gonna sell Nzogbia, I wonder if the Fonz could be used in a deal for Ince ? Then again Ince snr hasn't been starting the Fonz all that much, so may not be interested.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
KEA - 5 - have considered this one and am willing to give him another season but he hasnt convinced for me. Worry he cant adapt to the tempo of the prem - STAY JUST

He's like one of those guys in the Apprentice who just about avoids getting fired but gets told his "card's marked".

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
I wasn't a massive fan of N'Zogbia when he was at Wigan and was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him. But I would keep him this summer.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »
Sylla 6.5 is a bit harsh!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
I like N'Zog. I just do.

That's it for my technical input on this matter.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

In fact if we hadn't signed him I think we'd be down. I'm not saying he's solely responsible for us staying up obviously, but he's been very important.

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

In fact if we hadn't signed him I think we'd be down. I'm not saying he's solely responsible for us staying up obviously, but he's been very important.

Agreed, also surprised by the poster giving lichaj a 7 which is is higher than 13 other players he gave marks to , lichaj is a capable deputy but a 7 ?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
Yeah Lichaj is probably a 5, just about adequate back up for the odd game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal