collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goal of the Month - April  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Goal of the Month - April
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
I liked the way She-ra last night, when analysing Gabby and Benteke's one-two, said if Christian had "stopped admiring his pass" and ran on he would have had an open goal as Gabby's shot fizzed across. It were a fair point, like.

Minor point but Benteke never ever ever goes for the 6 yard line in those situations. He will always hold at the penalty spot for a pull back. It frustrated me at the start of the season but at least he is consistent. The other players know this now

Err, thrid goal last Monday?

Quite.  18 goals points to the fact that he's been in the right position more often than not.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
I liked the way She-ra last night, when analysing Gabby and Benteke's one-two, said if Christian had "stopped admiring his pass" and ran on he would have had an open goal as Gabby's shot fizzed across. It were a fair point, like.

Minor point but Benteke never ever ever goes for the 6 yard line in those situations. He will always hold at the penalty spot for a pull back. It frustrated me at the start of the season but at least he is consistent. The other players know this now
And following the Reading and QPR games I'm delighted that he doesn't chase in.

He has a brilliant habit of finding space, something a few of us noticed on the youtube videos when we signed him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »

And following the Reading and QPR games I'm delighted that he doesn't chase in.

He has a brilliant habit of finding space, something a few of us noticed on the youtube videos when we signed him.

Indeed, it's not that he hangs back, it's that he goes into the last bit of space a defender wants him to be in, and he does it entirely on instinct.  As rudy mentioned a few of us picked up on it and were told it was due to the low standard of defending in Belgium.

On topic, ignoring the offside debate somewhat, RVP is a good goal but he had far too much space (because he was offside) .  Lowton had 2 defenders charging him down and managed to get the ball up and down over them.  With a hint of claret and blue goggles I don't see how anyone can think RVPs is the better strike, both of them are worldy's but Lowton's is a few notches higher up the scale for me.  I said at the time, it's as close to a perfect strike (not a perfect goal, I mean purely the technique in the volley) as you'll ever see, I don't think RVPs was actually a particularly 'clean' hit.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:15 PM »
What a surprise the Princess of Power voted for a striker :-)

Will say it was a pretty exceptional shortlist this month

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:25 AM »
Any top striker worth his salt should be capable of scoring that Van Persie effort close to half the time. Lowton's was a much rarer thing of beauty, that he's a full-back only adding to its quality but at the same time it wasn't a fluke as his right peg had previous.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Any top striker worth his salt should be capable of scoring that Van Persie effort close to half the time. Lowton's was a much rarer thing of beauty, that he's a full-back only adding to its quality but at the same time it wasn't a fluke as his right peg had previous.

Yes, but only if they had brilliantly brought down a superb, pin-point crossfield ball with a lovely first touch. It was a great goal by RVP and a great goal by Lowton, not much between them and I can see why they chose the former. (Although van Persie WAS offside of course!)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
I thought it was very appropriate that ManU sealed their title win with three offside goals, and only fair one of them should be chosen as goal of the month.

Sod them. As Brian Clough once said 'You can all throw your medals in the bin...'. That goes for the goal of the month award too.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
Did they just give save of the season to Guzan?

Yes, Said it was on the scoreboard and they were celebrating when Guzan got his fingers tips to it, he had no right to save it.

Was that the Samba QPR header?

That was the one.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
Matty lowton sweeped Gary Neville's goal of the season on last nights MNF.

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

I tend to agree with this. Also want to say how lowton goal was better. And they seem to go on player rather than goal.  To further back my argument and say that RVP scoring 'lowtons goal'  be hailed all over the world! And straight on MOTD credits. Lowton scoring rvp they would just say what's he doing in that position but seriously point is simile in the fact another striker could score RVP goal with such time and space. Peter crouch, Papa Cisse, Demba Ba Rickie Lambert maybe even bobby Zamora. Lowton was the best of this season on par with crouchie last season   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal