collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert And Player Wages  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Billy Walker

Lambert And Player Wages
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
I see today, in the press, that they report Lambert has said he will have a large say in negotiating player wages during the summer.  Bearing in mind the problems we got ourselves into when MON did the same, do the good folk of Heroes and Villains think this is a good idea? 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Lambert And Player Wages
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
I don't have a problem with it, provided there is a set budget from the board that he is advised of. How he chooses to spend that budget is up to him.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
What it does do is build a better, more genuine relationship between the gaffer and the players.  As to letting him have an influence on it from a Villa standpoint, I think the proof of his prudence is evident for all to see.  Using MON as a compare is a bit of a skew, but average over the last four managers and value for money signings (average), and compare to Lambert... seems to know what he is doing with a budget for me!

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
Yep, I agree with the pair of you.  I'm pretty sure lessons have been learnt in the Boardroom and history won't repeat itself.  I like what Lambert says regarding Benteke and get-out clauses, too.  Financially speaking, the manager seems to have his head screwed on.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »
I still question the assumption that MON pushed wages up to dangerous levels without the club having any control.  I firmly believe the budget was there and adhered to, but was based on us making the champions league, which MON never delivered.  Once that happened the board decided they couldn't risk another year of it so they turned the tap off on him.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
He generally goes for young, lower-league players who, compared to our famous five*, are on a pittance so will likely jump at an extra bin bag of scruffy fivers.

* Julian - Bent
   Dick - Ireland
   Anne - Given
   Georgina - N'Zogbia
   Timmy the dog - Dunne

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:58 PM »
There wasn't a problem with MON doing it. He had a budget and the board ok'd it.

The issue was that the quality of the player, weighed up against the size of the contract.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
I don't think any Villa manager will enjoy the dictatorial powers Mon had. That said I get the feeling PL is a man you can trust to be canny with money. He has so far.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
I don't think any Villa manager will enjoy the dictatorial powers Mon had. That said I get the feeling PL is a man you can trust to be canny with money. He has so far.
He is a Scot!

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
In response to the article in todays Mail, someone has responded with this comment.
I hope its ok that I have quoted it, because I think its a pretty good read.

Mods - please delete if I'm not supposed to copy this.

"I'm sorry - it doesn't matter how many statements clubs make. It doesn't matter if they publish their intent. It doesn't matter if clubs sign players to contracts that span 10 years. None of this matters if a player wants to move.

The main reason most players seek a move is money - often prompted from partial advice from agents (who only really earn when their clients move). I say most players here because there are notable exceptions. Steven Gerrard is one. Gary Neville is another. Good players happy at their club. Secure in their legacy.

It strikes me that Lambert is after something similar in bringing in players who are grateful for being given a chance - who are the type of people to avoid white Lamborghinis and supermodel girlfriends - who are down to earth types - who are footballers. If Lambert can make this new breed feel at home at Villa - feel a part of something that will grow - feel like they belong - then we have a chance at keeping this group together. And even of improving it as more young talent sees that Villa is where talent is given a chance.

As for asset stripping - I understand why one might think that - but the sums offered for some of our players have kept the club afloat. Lerner has spent nearly a quarter of a billion pounds on Aston Villa since 2006. With no return on that investment. We were paying out 91% of our total turnover on wages. It was madness that could not last.

But that was then and this is now.

Lerner is not a Glazer. Nor is he a John Henry. They are professional sports investors who run clubs as enterprises - solely for profit - and dividend for themselves. Much as Sir Herbert Douglas Ellis OBE did for so many years in Aston.

Lerner seems different. He may well have been suckered by O'Neill's pie in the sky early on - and made errors in panic when the false messiah walked out - but I think he has got it right now. And even when we were in the dark days around Christmas - I felt Lambert would turn it around.

I don't think asset stripping billionaires get the crest of the latest business they are stripping tattooed on their leg. I might be wrong - but I interpret this as a sign of commitment.

Villa will indeed lose its top earning 'SuperStars' this summer - Bent - Ireland - Given - Dunne - goodbye and farewell and thanks for the fish.

For the rest - who knows? But watching how those young men celebrated like brothers on Monday night last - I think Aston Villa have a bright future - and it starts this Saturday at 3pm."

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
"I'm sorry - it doesn't matter how many statements clubs make. It doesn't matter if they publish their intent. It doesn't matter if clubs sign players to contracts that span 10 years. None of this matters if a player wants to move.

The main reason most players seek a move is money - often prompted from partial advice from agents (who only really earn when their clients move). I say most players here because there are notable exceptions. Steven Gerrard is one. Gary Neville is another. Good players happy at their club. Secure in their legacy.

It strikes me that Lambert is after something similar in bringing in players who are grateful for being given a chance - who are the type of people to avoid white Lamborghinis and supermodel girlfriends - who are down to earth types - who are footballers. If Lambert can make this new breed feel at home at Villa - feel a part of something that will grow - feel like they belong - then we have a chance at keeping this group together. And even of improving it as more young talent sees that Villa is where talent is given a chance.

As for asset stripping - I understand why one might think that - but the sums offered for some of our players have kept the club afloat. Lerner has spent nearly a quarter of a billion pounds on Aston Villa since 2006. With no return on that investment. We were paying out 91% of our total turnover on wages. It was madness that could not last.

But that was then and this is now.

Lerner is not a Glazer. Nor is he a John Henry. They are professional sports investors who run clubs as enterprises - solely for profit - and dividend for themselves. Much as Sir Herbert Douglas Ellis OBE did for so many years in Aston.

Lerner seems different. He may well have been suckered by O'Neill's pie in the sky early on - and made errors in panic when the false messiah walked out - but I think he has got it right now. And even when we were in the dark days around Christmas - I felt Lambert would turn it around.

I don't think asset stripping billionaires get the crest of the latest business they are stripping tattooed on their leg. I might be wrong - but I interpret this as a sign of commitment.

Villa will indeed lose its top earning 'SuperStars' this summer - Bent - Ireland - Given - Dunne - goodbye and farewell and thanks for the fish.

For the rest - who knows? But watching how those young men celebrated like brothers on Monday night last - I think Aston Villa have a bright future - and it starts this Saturday at 3pm."
Bullseye - a great read and much of it very sensible. He's been very benevolent to Lerner; perhaps it is written by him!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
He is a Scot!

TSM seemed ok handing Given and Hutton a mountain of dough to do fuck all.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
I think the difference with MON and Lambert doing the negotiating is that Lambert knows the ceiling, knows what we can afford and will probably agree it with the board. I think there may well have been some, I will sell x just let me have y on z a week with MON, and x never got sold as he was a fecking donkey!

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
I remember reading somewhere - so it must be true - that O'Neill was already over budget at the time Dunne and Collins signed and the transfers were allowed to go through on the understanding that he would later offload a few to balance the books. Craig Gardner duly left in January, which was taking the piss if you ask me.

It does indicate there was some kind of control going on.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
Regarding the Mail comment above - the O'Neill era players gave off the same feeling of togetherness - Ashley and Jimmy still left, and Downing.

The current crop may well love playing here, but I don't expect them to stay if the richer clubs want them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal