collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fans affinity with the team  (Read 17492 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Fans affinity with the team
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
I think it's a combination of many things Louzie,..
Er, I haven't posted on this thread!
Agree with your points though.

Apologies to both yourself and Ozzjim. Serves me right for reading two threads at once when a little 'overtired'.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
I'd like to add that Barry Bannan and Joe Bennett have taken an incredible amount of stick that has clearly contributed to some of their poor performances. Up to and including January I'd say the fans, at home, have been pretty poor. Only recently has it improved, as have results.

On Monday, in true typical Villa fan fashion, there were two blokes behind us moaning when it was 5-1 that we kept passing the ball around and weren't going for more goals. Only a Villa fan could criticise their team when 5-1 up.

However, Monday was by far the best atmosphere this season, but was it because of the teams performance, or was the result by the team helped by the fans?
Both i would say. The team started well and were backed by the fans, so everybody who was there on Monday deserves some credit for doing their bit.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
I remember posting in a match-thread that Lambert seems to have gone out of his way from day one to create a strong relationship with the fans. There is a great unity there at present and only good things can come of it.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
I did have a bit of a renewal of my enthusiasm for all things Villa when TSM left and Lambert was appointed.  And although I've suffered a few doubts (after the Nightmare over Christmas and at the end of January) I always thought Lambert (and by association Lerner and Faulkner) had chosen the right path with the strategy they have adopted since last Summer.  This has been reflected by the team, who are easy to get behind and will hopefully get stronger.  Still not out of the woods but the future is bright!

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
Aside from the bit-parts played by Bent and CNZ, we've never seen any of them play against us. Not one of them. I love that. It does engender a feeling that they are "ours", that they truly are out there playing as if they were one of us, that they're all living our dream. And that in turn goes a long way towards this feeling of us all being in this together, that we all want them to succeed, and they in turn want to succeed for us as much as for themselves.
I like to believe that Lambert considers character and attitude to be as much parts of a player's make-up as ability. Doing so, he has assembled a side who appear to want to play for Aston Villa, to play for us as much as just wanting to play football. I doubt that any arrivals over the summer shall not fit into this ethos.

I believe that we will be successful in the not too distant future, and when that day comes, all this will make that day so much sweeter.

That's a really good point that I'd never considered before. It's similar to seeing the youth team playing at Villa Park in the Next Gen or Youth cup I think.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »

Apologies to both yourself and Ozzjim. Serves me right for reading two threads at once when a little 'overtired'.

I've posted when 'overtired' a few times  ;)
At least you agreed with me! (now wondering which other thread you were reading) UTV!

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »

I've posted when 'overtired' a few times  ;)
At least you agreed with me! (now wondering which other thread you were reading) UTV!

I have no idea, the first thing I checked was whether or not I congratulated Ozzjim on his excellent ideas for serving Eccles cakes.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
From a PM I sent someone a few days ago "I'm loving watching this Villa team though, been a long time since I have felt such affinity for a Villa team."

I agree. This is he first time in a long time I have liked the team as blokes not just players. They seem to care, not be jerks and actually likely to improve in the future.

I hope they stay up, dammit they deserve to stay up.

I agree with that - unlike in years past where you knew 1 or 2 were always on the beer, or propping up the rocket club for example, you get the impression with most of this lot they are doing most things in a very professional way in an attempt to better themselves. Delph said they are like a little family and all very clean living. I can believe that looking at them, and I can believe that made part of the reason for Lambert buying them.

Look at the contrast of say, Ireland and Westwood. The former has his house and girlfriend all over the press etc, the latter I would not know if he is is even in a relationship, you hear nothing about him away from the pitch, which is grand.

I completely agree. I remember being with my dad outside the North Stand player entrance gates before the Swansea match in September. I was just about to disappear to Shanghai and wanted to catch a Villa game, as I haven't been home that much in the last 3 years. Westwood had just signed from Crewe a week or so earlier and he turned up with his mum and dad, his girlfriend/wife and his young baby. He seemed completely normal, polite and family man-esque. Well done to the lad, I say!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »

[/qu
From a PM I sent someone a few days ago "I'm loving watching this Villa team though, been a long time since I have felt such affinity for a Villa team."

I agree. This is he first time in a long time I have liked the team as blokes not just players. They seem to care, not be jerks and actually likely to improve in the future.

I hope they stay up, dammit they deserve to stay up.

I agree with that - unlike in years past where you knew 1 or 2 were always on the beer, or propping up the rocket club for example, you get the impression with most of this lot they are doing most things in a very professional way in an attempt to better themselves. Delph said they are like a little family and all very clean living. I can believe that looking at them, and I can believe that made part of the reason for Lambert buying them.

Look at the contrast of say, Ireland and Westwood. The former has his house and girlfriend all over the press etc, the latter I would not know if he is is even in a relationship, you hear nothing about him away from the pitch, which is grand.

I completely agree. I remember being with my dad outside the North Stand player entrance gates before the Swansea match in September. I was just about to disappear to Shanghai and wanted to catch a Villa game, as I haven't been home that much in the last 3 years. Westwood had just signed from Crewe a week or so earlier and he turned up with his mum and dad, his girlfriend/wife and his young baby. He seemed completely normal, polite and family man-esque. Well done to the lad, I say!

Interesting. Lowton has 2 kids doesn't he? And Delph is on the cusp of becoming a father. Interesting they have settled down at such a young age. Bodes well. One of the things I always admired about Scholes and Neville was their lack of any form of controversy off the field. Nothing in the press at all, just appeared to be clean living dedicated pros. You need the odd nut case like Balotelli to keep the world interesting, but if Villa can have 11 straight laced good pros, great. Milner would fit in well with this side!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
Ozz just broke the internet with that quote fail!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
It's almost as if Lambert has made a list of all the things McLeish, Houllier, O'Neill and O'Leary should have done and ticked them off one by one. It's a pity he left 'give some team a total shellacing on Monday Night Football' until somewhere near the end.

I think the fans can see what Lambert is trying to do and the improvement since the new year justifies the fantastic loyalty they've given the team this season. I'd imagine most are also appreciative of the football we're trying to play, no hoofing, negative tactics, we're playing it on the ground, generally very tidy but with some speed in attack. We've finally arrived in the 21st century and too many false (and expensive) dawns.

Above all we've got players we can be proud of, that try to play the right way, give 110% effort the way we expect, who together are part of a plan we can actually see come to fruition. Once again we have hope and to quote Samuel Smiles, who probably had a great influence on fellow Scot,  William McGregor, "Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us."

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
The "growing together through adversity" idea may come true as we have supported this team even when others would have howled them from the field.  Remember how the Baggies treated Clark when they had a dip?

You *earn* trust and respect at Villa Park - we gave TSM an entire season of home games to win us over and only turned in the last moments of the last home match. We wanted Houllier to succeed, we gave MON season after season of support.

PL has earned time from me even if we are relegated - same goes for the lads playing on the pitch

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
The backing from the fans has been very good again this season despite us once again failing to win many matches at home.

I maintain second half against QPR the support was brilliant and won us that game and it was very good on Monday.

Only half time against Everton, full time against Wigan and half time against Newcastle are the only three occasions I can recall when the crowd have turned at home (didn't go to the Bradford leg).

Even it's just been booing and no anti Lambert or board chants.

Hopefully we can get over the line in the next three games as I'm getting slightly confident that this year's pain will have been worth it and the next few years will be much more enjoyable.

Offline The Villan On The Wirral

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
This is the most positive thread on here for a long time. 3-0 down at old trafford  and 1800 of us outsinging 75000 fans who are watching their team win the league illustrates the affection we've got for these lads. Lets get over the line tomorrow and have a bloody good day out at Wigan to celebrate these young kids coming of age. Up the Villa. Support Stan.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
I havent checked the attendances but it seems like they are going up versus last season. This just my imagination?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal