collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fans affinity with the team  (Read 17546 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Fans affinity with the team
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Lambert said today he thought and felt that the fans have got a really good bond with the team, and it is helping them home and away with such a clear backing. It got me thinking, that he is right in a large way, as for the first time in years I look through the squad and see potential and promise in all off them, and of the match day squad, there is not really a player I dislike.

Also, for the first time in a long time, apart from a fleeting season when Milly moved central, we have a true talisman at the moment, but there are 3-4 players who I think would push him hard close for the fans favourites.

So, is it solely down to the age of them, or is it down to something else that has got the crowd so onside, despite some pretty rotten results at times this season? For me I think one reason is the PR Lambert puts across, I think he has not stepped a foot wrong in his comments, and has created a very together feeling with the side and the fans, but there is clearly some kind of key ingredient that makes it tick at the moment.

I was delighted to see Lowton and Westwood mentioned by Lambert as just as deserving of improved terms as Benteke and Weimann. I would imagine Guzan too. Is it strange that in a side threatened all season by relegation, I think half the side deserve pay rises? It is a right odd situation, but I certainly feel more proud of this team when they win than of any for a long time. 

Offline danno

Re: Fans affinity with the team
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
We had an awful record at defending set pieces last year, with Dunne Collins Warnock Hutton in the side.
Plus there were stories of bust ups under Ged, and that nightclub incident with Collins at the end of the season.

Its hard to like a team you think aren't giving it 100% and are a bunch of tossers to boot.

Compare that to this year, some of the same old failings are still there, but the attitude and effort isn't in question. Nor were there any reports of splits or feuds in the camp after the awful Dec/Jan we had.

Of everyone that started Monday (barring Vlaar), this club is their big break their first shot at the big time.
I think that's evident from how they conduct themselves on the pitch (effort) and off the pitch (treating the club with the proper respect). They're excited to be here, it isn't a last pay day etc.

I've responded to that.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »
I think it's a combination of many things Louzie, most of which you mention. It's almost as if Lambert has made a list of all the things McLeish, Houllier, O'Neill and O'Leary should have done and ticked them off one by one. It's a pity he left 'give some team a total shellacing on Monday Night Football' until somewhere near the end.

With regards the pay rises, maybe it's fair to recognise that the players who are likely to get them are actually worth a good deal more than they are currently being paid regardless of where we currently are in the table. The lower paid ones are after all doing most of the work.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »
Aside from the bit-parts played by Bent and CNZ, we've never seen any of them play against us. Not one of them. I love that. It does engender a feeling that they are "ours", that they truly are out there playing as if they were one of us, that they're all living our dream. And that in turn goes a long way towards this feeling of us all being in this together, that we all want them to succeed, and they in turn want to succeed for us as much as for themselves.
I like to believe that Lambert considers character and attitude to be as much parts of a player's make-up as ability. Doing so, he has assembled a side who appear to want to play for Aston Villa, to play for us as much as just wanting to play football. I doubt that any arrivals over the summer shall not fit into this ethos.

I believe that we will be successful in the not too distant future, and when that day comes, all this will make that day so much sweeter.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:46:12 AM »
I think it's a combination of many things Louzie, most of which you mention. It's almost as if Lambert has made a list of all the things McLeish, Houllier, O'Neill and O'Leary should have done and ticked them off one by one. It's a pity he left 'give some team a total shellacing on Monday Night Football' until somewhere near the end.

With regards the pay rises, maybe it's fair to recognise that the players who are likely to get them are actually worth a good deal more than they are currently being paid regardless of where we currently are in the table. The lower paid ones are after all doing most of the work.
Er, I haven't posted on this thread!
Agree with your points though.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:49:43 AM »
I don't know the first thing about what Lowton, Bennett, Westwood etc are like as people, but they do strike me as being most unlikely to be found asleep and half pissed on the hard shoulder of the M40 at 5 a.m.

I does appear that Lambert does his homework and takes more than pure playing ability into account when making signings.

Say what you like about Bennett as a defender. There's no shortage of moral fibre there. It'll serve him well at both ends of the table.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
I disagree while agreeing with everything Louzie has said.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:04:57 AM »
From a PM I sent someone a few days ago "I'm loving watching this Villa team though, been a long time since I have felt such affinity for a Villa team."

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:04 AM »
It's a travesty and embarassment that Ireland, Dunne, Given and Bent  are all hemorrhaging more money than the first team combined. Ship 'em out, replace them adequately then we can love the players long time. 

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »
From a PM I sent someone a few days ago "I'm loving watching this Villa team though, been a long time since I have felt such affinity for a Villa team."

I agree. This is he first time in a long time I have liked the team as blokes not just players. They seem to care, not be jerks and actually likely to improve in the future.

I hope they stay up, dammit they deserve to stay up.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:09:56 AM »

Amen.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »

I agree. This is he first time in a long time I have liked the team as blokes not just players. They seem to care, not be jerks and actually likely to improve in the future.

I hope they stay up, dammit they deserve to stay up.

I agree with that - unlike in years past where you knew 1 or 2 were always on the beer, or propping up the rocket club for example, you get the impression with most of this lot they are doing most things in a very professional way in an attempt to better themselves. Delph said they are like a little family and all very clean living. I can believe that looking at them, and I can believe that made part of the reason for Lambert buying them.

Look at the contrast of say, Ireland and Westwood. The former has his house and girlfriend all over the press etc, the latter I would not know if he is is even in a relationship, you hear nothing about him away from the pitch, which is grand.

Offline spk

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »
Couldnt agree more,for all the dodgy defending,you can see a real passion and a will to win,I am really looking forward to next season.
  I am sure the result that keeps us up will feel like Rotterdam 82 !

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
I wonder if there's been any words between lambert and Saunders this season?

If I was a new manager coming in to villa and I wanted to know what makes this club tick, I'd be on the phone to him and Taylor.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:49:58 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:50:35 AM »
I mentioned to the wife the other day how likeable much of our team are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal