collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa park chosen to host Rugby World Cup matches  (Read 13011 times)

Offline lovejoy

Villa park chosen to host Rugby World Cup matches
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
As confirmed http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/181883.html.

Villa Park, Kingsholm and the Amex. Lovely stuff.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Villa park chosen to host Rugby World Cup matches
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
I know some won't like this but I'm a fan of rugby so good stuff. One thing is though, what happens to our home games at this stage?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
So we've agreed to let these cauliflower-eared, fart-lighting posh kids dig our pitch up in September 2015?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Very good news but then I'm a big rugby fan

Surprised though they didn't choose the Britannia where the fans are much more conversant with rugby

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Good stuff. If the ground staff have the pitch looking the same in May 2016 as they do in August 2015, they deserve knighthoods.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
I don't follow rugby at all, but I'm sure Birmingham doesnt have a Rugby team so they'll naturally be less fans in this area. Like Richard says above would have made more sense to have it elsewhere. The pitch is going to get cut up so could have an effect on the way we play afterwards.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
A bunch of thuggish Hooray Henrys cutting up our lovely perfect pitch! Dear oh dear!

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »
I don't follow rugby at all, but I'm sure Birmingham doesnt have a Rugby team so they'll naturally be less fans in this area. Like Richard says above would have made more sense to have it elsewhere. The pitch is going to get cut up so could have an effect on the way we play afterwards.

I think Richard's comment was tongue in cheek regarding Stoke's 'robust' style.

Villa Park will be full for the matches, just like the other grounds. Never underestimate how seriously rugby fans take their sport. It also costs more to watch England rugby than England football at their respective national grounds. You think Villa shirts are expensive? I wanted to buy my girlfriend a Worcester Warriors top (bear in mind they're the equivalent of say, Fulham league wise) and they're around the fifty quid mark.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Yes, it was definitely tongue in cheek regarding Stoke's style!!!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »

Villa Park will be full for the matches, just like the other grounds. Never underestimate how seriously rugby fans take their sport. It also costs more to watch England rugby than England football at their respective national grounds. You think Villa shirts are expensive? I wanted to buy my girlfriend a Worcester Warriors top (bear in mind they're the equivalent of say, Fulham league wise) and they're around the fifty quid mark.

Compare the build quality though, I have no idea for replica shirts, they may cut some corners but the actual match shirts are far better than football equivalents.

Birmingham does have a rugby team, Moseley are in the championship (much like football that's the 2nd division) and have done a decent job staying in that league despite having nothing like the finances of the other sides in there.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
I don't think the pitch will fare any worse than it would for a couple of extra cup games - unless it happens to piss it down for each game we host.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »

Compare the build quality though, I have no idea for replica shirts, they may cut some corners but the actual match shirts are far better than football equivalents.

Birmingham does have a rugby team, Moseley are in the championship (much like football that's the 2nd division) and have done a decent job staying in that league despite having nothing like the finances of the other sides in there.

I think all the replica stuff for rubgy union is expensive. One word of warning about attending though - unless they ban alcohol from the stands like they do at the football, everybody around you will be up and down throughout the game going to buy ale. Highly irritating.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
Make them all wear slippers, the hairy-arsed oafs.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Don't forget that Birmingham & Solihull R.F.C. are in National 2 (North)

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »
I know some won't like this but I'm a fan of rugby so good stuff. One thing is though, what happens to our home games at this stage?

it's 2 matches on one weekend, so we'll be away i expect.

i don't like rugby, but it's good for the city, it will bring visitors in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal