collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Im-press-ed.  (Read 5687 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Im-press-ed.
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Bad headlines - the triumphant return.

www.thebirminghampress.com/2013/05/02/the-joy-of-six/

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Im-press-ed.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
The attendance is one thing that's been forgotten in the euphoria of the win. Over 37,000 for a Monday night TV game is superb. The Sunderland fans deserve praise as well for selling out their allocation considering the distance and the timing of the game.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
The attendance is one thing that's been forgotten in the euphoria of the win. Over 37,000 for a Monday night TV game is superb. The Sunderland fans deserve praise as well for selling out their allocation considering the distance and the timing of the game.

With excitement like that, we would fill the ground for every game. Sunderland fans also deserve credit for joining in with the 19th minute clapping.

Good article, Dave. There is a very warm feel about the place at the moment.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Good article Dave.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
I think the "bring a buddy" idea was good. I think there were a fair few season ticket holders who wanted the crowd to be right for this one, and tried to think of someone to bring. I know that when I was looking for a couple of extras, everyone I go with at least tried to get someone else in.

As well as the usual PNE glory hunting husband, I brought my brother, and his australian wife to her first ever game. My brother has only ever really been a Villa fan in name only - but he loved it! I have never seen him get into a game like he did on Monday and it was fantastic! His wife may think it is always like this!

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
Loved the line about Tekkers checking out the traffic on the Aston Expressway !!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
Loved the line about Tekkers checking out the traffic on the Aston Expressway !!

Yes great line, but please stop calling him "Tekkers"! Argh!

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
Good article Dave. I like the focus on the players delivering the results. Without mentioning Lambert, you seem to be underlining his credentials over the two managers that were mentioned.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »
I’d say this one came out of the blue, but it didn’t. Not totally, anyway. For some time we’ve been saying that Villa were going to hammer the opposition one day soon.

This is a very good point to me.  I've not read any match reports in the national media, but if I did I just know they'd be rammed with lines like 'out of the blue' and 'surprise Villa win'.  They're too lazy to bother watching our games and see how we're playing.  It was the same after Anfield, with them totally ignoring our impressive cup wins at Norwich and Man City, and that we were 4 unbeaten in the league before that game, but instead bleating on about a shock upset and how it must mean Liverpool played poorly.

Since Everton away we've been pretty consistent, only dropping points where you'd expect us to, so this was the extension of that and not the oasis in a sea of shit some will try to portray it as.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:31:01 PM by Concrete John »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
The workrate comment is the one that resonates with me the most.  The best time to win the ball back is the first second or 2 after it's lost, we seem to be now working on that as a key part of our defensive setup.  It requires great fitness levels though, which the team seem to be getting closer to now.

The other key thing for me is the movement of the front 3.  I firmly believe if we can keep them all together and fit next year we have a front 3 as good as pretty much anyone in the league, their performances since the new year back that up as well.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
Good article Dave.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
The workrate comment is the one that resonates with me the most.  The best time to win the ball back is the first second or 2 after it's lost, we seem to be now working on that as a key part of our defensive setup.  It requires great fitness levels though, which the team seem to be getting closer to now.

I read a very encouraging comment, can't remember where, that said Paul lambert's sides tend to finish the season strongly.  That would certainly be very welcome after the MON and Mcleish sides that limped over the finish line.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »

They only had the lower tier.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

I'm sure I read somewhere they sold out their allocation, unless we only gave them the lower tier.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

I'm sure I read somewhere they sold out their allocation, unless we only gave them the lower tier.

They only took the lower tier. Still not a bad turnout, but nothing spectacular either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal