collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A watershed moment?  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: A watershed moment?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
Watershed moments are only identifiable with hindsight. Manyoo's could've been beating forest in the cup in '90. Given our stop-start up-down nature over the last thirty-one years, I'm pretty certain we've not had one, in that time-frame, prior to this season. In my lifetime, I'd pinpoint an event that happened when I was too young to know; appointing Vic Crowe. The club had reached its nadir, and that decision sparked a chain of events which would take some 12 years to reach The Greatest Night. But all traceable back to Crowe's appointment.

Maybe it was Monday. Maybe it was the swift removal of TSM. But it'd be fantastic if historians have this debate in the future, and they pinpoint a moment where I can say, "I was there"!

The watershed moment under Vic Crowe was changing to proper claret and blue jerseys at half time at Blackpool.

If Monday night was a watershed, and it could well be, I'd say it had more to do with the fact that we had a formation that really fitted the team and vice versa. Which really boils down to a balanced midfield which dominated their opposite numbers and at the same time allowed the full backs to play to their strengths.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
The watershed moment for me was the appointment of Lambert.

We've shown glimpses all season of what we're capable.

As well as making sure we tie the rising stars to long term contracts, we need to make sure of keeping hold of Lambert too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
Things are looking up and Monday was wonderful. But there's still lots to do, even if we can hold onto our best players. Particularly in terms of improving the defence, which still looked very shaky in spells on Monday - both Vlaar and Baker, but also Guzan had a couple of dodgy moments. And we've got three tough games to come, which we need to win at least one of to stay up. I think we've won back to back games once in two years. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

But Lambert is definitely building something positive, and we're enjoyable to watch, and I like all of our first team players. First time I can say that in quite some time.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »

As well as making sure we tie the rising stars to long term contracts, we need to make sure of keeping hold of Lambert too.

That thought crossed my mind a few times lately. How long before the England managers position comes vacant again!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
I doubt they'd ever offer it to someone unlikely to take the job, GC.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Too early to talk about watershed moments.

I can think of plenty of times where we've thought we had one of those moments, only to find it go to shit the very next match.

I agree. I thought after the two wins at Norwich and Anfield earlier in the season that we'd go on and have a good season, the Liverpool game especially. It was'nt just the fact that we won up there (we should have been 2 down in the first 10 minutes mind), it was the way we took the goals and how well we defended afterwards. That should have given them a lot of confidence. We all know what happened a few games later.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
I doubt they'd ever offer it to someone unlikely to take the job, GC.
That's what I would hope. That he won't leave even if offered the post.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 05:35:45 AM »
I couldn't ever imagine a scot accepting the England job. As such, I can't ever envisage one being offered it.

Not too worried about losing him in the short - medium term. He'd need to win a few things first before the likes of Man U or arsenal came sniffing around. Man city and Chelsea always seem to go for fancy dan foreigners and any other clubs in England ( all other clubs really :) would be a step down from villa.

If he does win a few things and go, then at least we'll have won a few things.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »

Totally agree. At the beginning of the season the whole playing side needed a big overhaul and some on here even predicted we would get relegated. Lambert is slowly turning it round, picking players on merit (no matter how inexperienced or young) and won't play players on reputation alone. A lot of the big salary earners will go in summer and this will free up money (salary wise) to get more exciting young players in.
Seeing the way some of the youngsters have performed and carried on trying their hearts out week after week after big knockbacks (Chelski, Bradford, Wigan & Spurs at home) makes me think we have a good future. 

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »

Is this week the watershed moment for PL, that SAF had with MUFC all those years ago?

A simple NO. It's great and I believe but not there yet. This team needs to improve and win a cup next season.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

Totally agree. At the beginning of the season the whole playing side needed a big overhaul and some on here even predicted we would get relegated. Lambert is slowly turning it round, picking players on merit (no matter how inexperienced or young) and won't play players on reputation alone. A lot of the big salary earners will go in summer and this will free up money (salary wise) to get more exciting young players in.
Seeing the way some of the youngsters have performed and carried on trying their hearts out week after week after big knockbacks (Chelski, Bradford, Wigan & Spurs at home) makes me think we have a good future. 

Those predicting we would get relegated may still be right.   Lambert has proved nothing yet except that his teams can attack well at times, defend appallingly most of the time, and that his tactics are very hit and miss. 

Watershed moments are defined and identified by what happens afterwards, so they only really become apparent with hindsight.  We'll have to see what happens next.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal