collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A watershed moment?  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Neil Hawkes

Re: A watershed moment?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Don't forget I'm not just referring to the match result, but also to the contract discussions and clear policy that ALL the performers are wanted by the manager/club longterm, not just to sell off at a profit at the first available opportunity.

I'm fairly certain there was one particular game during the early SAF tenure, whereby had the result not been in his favour he would have lost all faith/confidence in his vision - was our result against Sunderland the 'swinging vote of confidence' that we have been hoping to see all season - that this could, just could, reap great rewards for our dwindling historical superiority?

Just seen CHIII reference for SAF - cheers mate.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
If nothing else, Monday night was indisputable evidence that the potential is there. Now it's just a question of whether we can fulfil it.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
The biggest watershed moment of recent years was Stoke away when we were 2 up and end up 2-2.  I hope this is the beining of something but how will we know until a few years down the line.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
RE ManU.  The watershed moment was that bloody ref against Wednesday.
That was their Shed Seven moment.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:50:31 PM by *shellac* »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
Nursey reckons it could well be a watershed moment:

Turning point? Why Aston Villa's thrashing of Sunderland is their most important result in three years

The media are sometimes accused of getting carried away on the back of one result.

But I really sense the ecstasy and relief generated by Villa's 6-1 demolition of Sunderland in Monday's televised game has been enormous.

And the implications of that sole win genuinely could be huge for the club both in the short-term and long-term.

I was at the game on Monday and then a guest at the club's annual golf event the following day with fans and Villa employees.

Everyone was buzzing with relief that the club now looks set to stay up but also in anticipation of the future after seeing an exhilarating insight into what boss Paul Lambert could regularly serve up next season.

Clearly in the short-term the three points gained from Sunderland are a significant and immediate boost to the club's desire to stay in the Premier League.

The momentum and feel-good factor engendered by the emphatic win should finally be the springboard to top-flight safety for Lambert's men, who now have 37 points.

But it was also an evening when all the Scot's gambles and faith in his relatively unproven crop of youngsters, lower league buys and foreign signings was vindicated.

And after being starved of entertainment last season under Alex McLeish's pragmatic side, Villa fans really lapped up their side's total football against Sunderland.

The second goal when Matt Lowton intercepted the ball and ran into the Sunderland half to find Andreas Weimann to score was a peach.

Villa were a joy to watch against Sunderland and the young ages of the side mean the team will only surely improve.

I know cynics will say Christian Benteke and Andreas Weimann could leave.

But let's see, as boss Lambert desperately wants to keep them and negotiations are already moving to tie the pair down.

I understand both Benteke and Weimann, aged 22 and 21 respectively, want to stay and deals could be sorted out sooner rather than later.

It is fascinating to think how good they could become with more experience.

The same applies to Matt Lowton, 23, and Ashley Westwood, also 23, who I thought were both exceptional against Sunderland.

Elsewhere Fabian Delph, 23, and Yacouba Sylla, 22, are developing into two enforcers capable of protecting the defence and rock-solid keeper Brad Guzan.

It was also great to see Gabby Agbonlahor back to his rampaging best - which saw him capped by England - using his pace and power to deadly effect.

While Ron Vlaar appears to be growing into the captain's role at Villa Park on the pitch as he showed by winning the ball and smashing in a spectacular opener.

Even left-back Joe Bennett, a frequent terrace target, had a good game.

So Villa not only have the nucleus of a decent, young side but real potential throughout the entire team and squad.

Fans are embracing Lambert's work as apparently the ticket office was swamped the day after the Sunderland win with requests for the Chelsea home game on May 11.

The knock-out effect has been tangible and I am struggling to think of a similarly significant result at Villa in recent years.

Last season a 3-1 win at Chelsea offered hope but it was followed by a 2-0 home loss to Swansea 48 hours later as Alex McLeish toiled as boss.

The previous season under Kevin McDonald and Gerard Houllier was eventful off the pitch but forgettable on it.

After some pondering I have to go back to 2009/2010 when Villa were chasing a top four spot and Champions League football.

They recorded impressive League wins over Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United and reached the Carling Cup final with a 6-4 semi-final second leg win over Blackburn.

But Martin O'Neill's side eventually missed out on the top four - coming a creditable sixth it must be said - and lost in the Cup final.

You sense this Villa current side also has real potential - which could yet make Monday April 29, 2013 a major milestone in the club's recent history.

Certainly Villa are finishing the season with a head of steam and are set to keep their manager for the first time in three summers so there will be some much-needed continuity.

And if Villa survive and prosper, as I expect, then you also have to credit Randy Lerner and CEO Paul Faulkner for keeping calm when an 8-0 thrashing at Chelsea and embarrassing Cup exits had some fans calling for Lambert's head.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villas-thrashing-sunderland-most-1865385?#ixzz2S8h2UstC
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
I hope that in years to come people look back on that night as a 'watershed moment' but if they do I think it will be more symbolic than a point where a corner was turned.

We've played well for periods in a number of game, but not taken chances and ended up nervously hanging on or conceding late equalisers.

This time we took our chances and the whole side swelled with confidence (as did the crowd), it was also helped by them having a man sent off. So it was 90 minutes of what we've only really seen for 45 before.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
The watershed moment will come in the summer when we manage to keep our best players and bring in more quality.

What's great is that there has been frequent evidence of what Lambert has been trying to build but generally just 45 minutes a game. Monday everything finally clicked and we finally got to see it over 90 minutes. There's still plenty to do but I salute the man for getting us to finally start playing intelligent, attractive and entertaining football. It's been long, long overdue. He also deserves credit  for keeping the lads heads up during what has been a very testing season, especially for such a young squad.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
After all the whining and the moaning about Lambert Lerner and Villa's transfer policy - I truly hope it is a watershed - and illustrated to those who doubt just what it is that the club is trying to do.  After all the 'not good enough' jibes aimed at these kids they are finally showing their metal.

It is a high water mark - in a season of lows - though in all honesty - even though we have taken some horrible thumpings - and repeatedly shot ourselves in both feet - the football played has actually been more fun to watch than at any time last season. When we have lost - we've lost while still trying to play football (however badly) - last time out I can not remember us ever really playing football at all.  It was rather joyless and dull.

Can anyone here honestly say it is not more exciting this season than last?  Can we not see improvement?

The newbies seem to be learning from their mistakes.

I hope they go on to have full and exciting careers - and I hope it is at Villa Park.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »
Although I was very nervous about the result beforehand, Blunderland couldn't have played a better game for us. Open, expansive and with only two holding midfielders. And, for once, we came out of the traps firing on all cylinders. And, we managed a full 90-minute game.

Only two?! I thought one was the norm...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Too early to talk about watershed moments.

I can think of plenty of times where we've thought we had one of those moments, only to find it go to shit the very next match.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
even though we have taken some horrible thumpings - and repeatedly shot ourselves in both feet - the football played has actually been more fun to watch than at any time last season.

Very true.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
I hope that in years to come people look back on that night as a 'watershed moment' but if they do I think it will be more symbolic than a point where a corner was turned.

Not only that but also where a corner was scored from...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
True but without Cantona they wouldn't had won the first PL title and without Cantona they wouldn't had capitulated on that and probably wouldn't had won four titles out of the five without him while he was at Manyoo. IMO Manyoo and Ferguson owes a helluva lot of their success to Cantona even after he retired.

In terms of comparisons, Cantona turned a good team into a great one.  For us as a possible watershed, it's more a case of turing a poor team into a good one.  If progression continues, then we'll need our Cantona in a couple of years.

But this is about Villa.

Some good comments on here and the one that resounds rightly to me is that we'll only know in hindsight.  The dictionary definition of a watershed is:-

an important point of division or transition between two phases, conditions

In many respects, you could then, should we go on to achieve something with Lambert, point at Bolton at home last year.  Had we won that and eased to safety would TSM still be manager?  I fully believe that that loss, and the crowd reaction to it, lead to his sacking and therefore Paul's appointment.   

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
I think that the nature of the evening makes this one even more impressive. Before the game most people had described it as our most important game in the Premier League, with which I would probably have agreed. The fact that our players weren't affected by the massive pressure is a great sign. The fact that we repeatedly won the second ball showed our hunger. The performances of each of our players shows that we have a side that can really become a force.

A lot of pundits have said that staying up this season will mature a lot of our younger players and I agree, hopefully 3 points at Norwich on Saturday and we'll be able to give it "a right good go" next season.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
The comparisons -in any way- with Fergie's early years are fanciful. 

Yanited were spending large sums on big players-more than the champions at the time- and that brings it's own pressure. 

We are operating in a different stratosphere to that now, not for altruistic, selfless reasons. Or out of a sense of preserving the purity of the sport.  But because we have to. We are cutting our cloth accordingly, and going with cheaper young players on cheap contracts.   

Some will work, many (maybe even most)  won't work long term.  But we won't be burned as bad financially, with 'name' players on fat contracts just seeing out time.

Benteke has been a revelation, and if we can hold onto him this summer (and he remains hungry to improve) we should be comfortably mid table next year. That's a pretty big 'if,' based on our previous though.  And In all my time supporting Villa, mid table finishes have never been a major thing to aspire to. It generally won't be enough to keep our better players on board either.

But for a work in progress, it is a reasonable expectation.  Providing we stay up this year, of course.  Which is by no means a given.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal