collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert signing  (Read 11738 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Lambert signing
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
Which paper did that article come from Eastie? I've never heard anyone, least of all O'Neill, admit that he was £20 million above budget before. I hope they've got a good solicitor.
I presume they're referring to the budget from the season before? It's not very clear from the report, but it's the only thing that would make any sense.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »

Hasn't really been mentioned I thought he was culpable for their goal. Once Vlaar and Baker had been dragged across, and I'm not sure why Baker is getting the blame for the goal, Bennett needed to get across and cover the big area between the centre-halves and him. he didn't and left a huge hole which rose scored in.

But Bennett still had his own player to mark, if he had covered the middle then there would have been a huge gap on the left side of the area, harsh to blame the left-back when the centre-halves both got dragged across to the same man.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

Hasn't really been mentioned I thought he was culpable for their goal. Once Vlaar and Baker had been dragged across, and I'm not sure why Baker is getting the blame for the goal, Bennett needed to get across and cover the big area between the centre-halves and him. he didn't and left a huge hole which rose scored in.

But Bennett still had his own player to mark, if he had covered the middle then there would have been a huge gap on the left side of the area, harsh to blame the left-back when the centre-halves both got dragged across to the same man.

Westie and Sylla could've made a better fist of it, too.

Offline eastie

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »

I think it was more a case of a well worked goal rather than poor defending.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

I think it was more a case of a well worked goal rather than poor defending.

Baker had come across Vlaar though, so Bennett could have tucked in further, but in all fairness it would be very very harsh to blame him for that goal.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
As for the negligence some accuse him of in Jan... (and I was gutted at no defender too)

Sylla played 8, won 5, drawn 2 lost 1. Not bad that impact.
We do look a lot better with him in the side. His presence really helps and he cuts the workload for Westy and Delph.
Zoggy had a handful of decent games since the turn of the year. He is talented, but the balance of the side doesn't look right, especially because Lambert won't shouldn't drop one of Gabby or Wiemann.
We look far, far more solid with a 3 man midfield.
Sylla is very raw, but there's promise. I hope he keeps his place for the last 3 games.

Zogbia should be sold to raise funds for a more suitable signing or two. Lambert could get two of his well scouted bargains for the fee and wages we're paying Charles. Unlike Ireland, Charlie would have some takers.

Fixed that for you.  The front 3 have been excellent in 2013 and all of them should be playing as many games as possible right now.  23 goals in 15 games between them is a fantastic return for any attack.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
Yeah Lambert's transfer business has been his trump card so far. It should be noted that even the most astute managers make the odd bad signing. Although having said that, I don't think Lambert has made a particularly bad one. Benteke, Guzan, Lowton and Westwood have been great signings. Sylla looks promising too. Bennett, Vlaar and KEA have been hit and miss but have shown in flashes what Lambert saw in them. Bowery and Dawkins  haven't really had much game time but given the nominal fees payed for them, they are very low risk.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »

Well, you're a hard man Peter. Bennett had Johnson to mark and rightly was not sucked into the middle.

I said elsewhere that I thought Bennett came of age on Monday; he dealt with Johnson - a tricky international winger (who has admittedly been very in and out this season) - pretty well and offered himself as an outlet when we were in possession.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:56:36 PM by Mister E »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »

Well, you're a hard man Peter. Bennett had Johnson to mark and rightly was not sucked into the middle.

I said elsewhere that I thought Bennett came of age on Monday; he dealt with Johnson - a tricky international winger (who has admittedly been very in and out this season) - pretty well and offered himself as an outlet when we were in possession.

In fairness I think most are saying Sunderland's goal was mainly just a really good piece of football, there may have been small defensive errors but it wasn't a howler. On the Baker issue if he ever wants to make it at the top level his positioning needs to get a lot lot better.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
Unless it is a worldy, then technically every goal conceded is the result of a defensive error. Sunderland's goal was just good play and even a better defence then ours would've been undone by it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
Unless it is a worldy, then technically every goal conceded is the result of a defensive error. Sunderland's goal was just good play and even a better defence then ours would've been undone by it.

Indeed, good run and, to give him credit, Graham did really well to get it back to Rose.  Can maybe ask a small question about why no one covered Rose but I think it's very harsh to blame anyone, much like it's hard to blame the Sunderland defenders for Weimann's or Benteke's 2nd (the rest are all questionable though),  they're just very good goals.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
I've not seen the goals since Monday - what was Weimann (or maybe Gabby as they did swap sides) doing? As our right forward should have tracked their left back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal