collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert signing  (Read 11739 times)

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Lambert signing
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
For me, the only one of Lambert's signings who hasn't had a positive impact is KEA, but even he still has time to come good.

Bennett has come in for a lot of stick, but he's only just gone 23, and if there's one position on the pitch where most players start out shit and improve significantly it's full-back. It's such a demanding position, in that it demands both good attacking talents, tackling ability, positional awareness and endless stamina. Going forward is no problem for him already, and he will no doubt develop his defensive nous and strength over the next couple of seasons. He'll be fine.

In terms of value for money, Lambert has already pissed all over O'Neill's record of transfer dealings. And McLeish's, for that matter.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
We've actually been in very good form since January, its just the poor start we had. We'd probably be around 8th - 10th had the table started in January so I have no fears for next season and that's without even thinking about what any new signings could add

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »

No clean sheets in 19 games. How many points dropped from winning positions? I'm not having a downer on the squad, all season i've been banging the drum about backing the young lads. However, with three games remaining relegation is a real possibilty and if that happens I can't see how the signings can be viewed as great. There has been a significant improvement recently and hopefully that will continue but I still am of the opinion a couple of seasoned pros would make a massive difference in a positive fashion.
I agree a couple of signings would be of enormous benefit.

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
[quote author=paul_e link=topic=49640.msg2323479#msg2323479 date

We're as many points from 9th as we are from relegation so if we're still stating that relegation is a very real possibility (which is true) then are we right to state that a top half finish is still a very real possibility?

I posted the 11 game 'splits' before we played man u and at that time we'd averaged half a point per game more in the last 11 than we did in the first 11.  Given we signed a lot of new players who had no experience in this league that slow start should always have been expected.  With no major additions to the squad I think it would be fair to predict us ending up somewhere between 45-50 points next year, so comfortably mid table.  A few additions to add a bit of depth in a few areas (we're short of numbers across the entire defence) and give us a bit of extra quality and I think 50 points is a perfectly reasonable target next year.
[/quote]
Spot on

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
I think we will see Dunne, Petrov, Ireland and Hutton off the wages bill, plus possibly of Givens and Bent moving on. We will be able be more a lot more room for wages bill, then I think we will have 25 millions plus transfer raised this summer but expect us to continue in similar format young hungry and inexpensive and more signing like Benteke.

I think we will sign a young goalkeeper, a central defender, a left back, a winger, a playmaker (big money), and a striker (When Bent is sold)  It would be interesting to see who are the targets.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
I think we will see Dunne, Petrov, Ireland and Hutton off the wages bill, plus possibly of Givens and Bent moving on. We will be able be more a lot more room for wages bill, then I think we will have 25 millions plus transfer raised this summer but expect us to continue in similar format young hungry and inexpensive and more signing like Benteke.

I think we will sign a young goalkeeper, a central defender, a left back, a winger, a playmaker (big money), and a striker (When Bent is sold)  It would be interesting to see who are the targets.

Very good assumption of things i think Michael.

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
By Matt Law | 30/04/13 

Paul Lambert has more than kept his side of the bargain this season.

And if he guides Aston Villa to Premier League safety, it will be time for owner Randy Lerner to keep his.

As Christian Benteke stroked in his hat-trick goal against Sunderland, managers all over Europe will have been Google searching the name of his agent.

For those who do not know, Benteke’s agent is called Eris Kismet and he has already gone on record in the Sunday Mirror to declare his client is prepared to stay at Villa Park if the club remain in the top-flight.

Benteke feels a debt of gratitude to Lambert for taking a gamble on him and Lerner should also be grateful that the Scotsman was prepared to put his reputation on the line for a shot at the Villa job.

Despite Benteke’s goodwill, the decision on what happens next will still ultimately rest with Lerner once Tottenham and Co come calling.

The sharks know Lerner has recent form after cashing in on Gareth Barry, James Milner, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

There were extenuating circumstances in each of those cases, not least former boss Martin O’Neill was around £20million over his agreed budget when Manchester City made their Milner approach.

But Lambert has stuck rigidly to the agreement to replace the big earners and start slashing the wage bill, while promoting from within the club and scouring Europe and the lower leagues for bargains.

Lerner’s radical change of philosophy could still blow up in his face because Villa are not safe from relegation danger, despite their stunning 6-1 victory over Sunderland.

The American asked Lambert to take Villa from A to C without going through B and it has for long spells been a painful process.

Lambert arrived at Villa Park with his reputation high after two successive promotions and an impressive first season in the Premier League at Norwich.

The task Lerner gave him threatened to put that reputation at risk, particularly after humiliations against Chelsea, Bradford and Millwall.

It looked for a long while like Lambert had taken the impossible job and made it even harder for himself by freezing out Villa’s record signing Darren Bent.

He didn’t complain when he was handed just £3m to boost the squad in January, while relegation rivals QPR and Newcastle were throwing money at so-called saviours.

Of course, Lerner stuck with Lambert through the bleak mid-winter, when Villa conceded 15 goals in just three Premier League games and other owners may have panicked.

But Lambert will deserve more than just his job if Villa book their place in next season’s Premier League and Lerner must not be naïve enough to think he can keep getting away with selling off the club’s best silver.

Lambert will have earned the right to work with Benteke for at least one more season, which will require Lerner turning down big bids and handing the striker a new contract.

Benteke was signed for just £7million and put on £20,000-a-week. Villa have already indicated their willingness to double the 22-year-old’s salary, but Lerner may well have to go even higher now he has broken the 20-goal barrier.

Andreas Weimann is another beneficiary of the Lambert regime and has shone almost as brightly as Benteke.

His £15,000-a-week deal is due to expire next season, which has already alerted Newcastle and Norwich, and will no doubt encourage others to bid.

Lerner will not have to turn down the same eye-watering offers for Weimann that he will receive for Benteke, but he needs to sort out the Austrian’s contract and fast.

Weimann is said to be happy at Villa, but the club cannot afford the uncertainty of going into the summer months with his long-term future still unclear.

Right-back Matt Lowton has proved to be Lambert’s most successful find in the lower leagues.

Signed for just £3m from Sheffield United, Lowton underlined his improvement with the wonderful assist for Weimann on Monday night.

The 23-year-old still has work to do defensively, but his ability on the ball and willingness to roam forwards has already impressed a number of Premier League bosses.

Fulham have been linked with a move for Lowton, but the day Villa sell one of their most promising players to the Cottagers should be the day the white flag is unfurled over the Holte End.

A turbulent season could still prove to be the first days of something for Villa. But for that to be the case, Lerner will need to pay back his manager.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »

Mostly agree but I'm not sure a young goalkeeper will be on the list, given the reputation Seigrist has we either need to trust him to step up as our number 2 or we need to give him a year or 2 by signing an experienced backup on a shorter deal.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »

Mostly agree but I'm not sure a young goalkeeper will be on the list, given the reputation Seigrist has we either need to trust him to step up as our number 2 or we need to give him a year or 2 by signing an experienced backup on a shorter deal.
If we stay up, I think that Lambert will intensify his current approach - focus on the academy graduates and some surprise selections from the lower divisions.
I suspect we might see the back of Stevens, Albrighton and Holman. Possibly Lichaj and Bannan as well.
I fully expect to see 2-3 low-cost, curved-ball players in as development opportunities.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Still lots of deadwood to get rid of but you can't argue with the football we are playing compared to TSM.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »
As for the negligence some accuse him of in Jan... (and I was gutted at no defender too)

Sylla played 8, won 5, drawn 2 lost 1. Not bad that impact.

Offline supertom

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »
As for the negligence some accuse him of in Jan... (and I was gutted at no defender too)

Sylla played 8, won 5, drawn 2 lost 1. Not bad that impact.
We do look a lot better with him in the side. His presence really helps and he cuts the workload for Westy and Delph.
Zoggy had a handful of decent games since the turn of the year. He is talented, but the balance of the side doesn't look right, especially because Lambert won't drop one of Gabby or Wiemann.
We look far, far more solid with a 3 man midfield.
Sylla is very raw, but there's promise. I hope he keeps his place for the last 3 games.

Zogbia should be sold to raise funds for a more suitable signing or two. Lambert could get two of his well scouted bargains for the fee and wages we're paying Charles. Unlike Ireland, Charlie would have some takers.

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 02:29:42 AM »
Special mention for Bennett - he has had a torrid time this season but tonight I thought he came of age. Not only did I think he played Adam Johnson pretty well, he also looked confident going forward and a real fullback.

By far his best game for us. Had the debate with my lad who thought that he was crap, that there is a player there. Not all going to develop at the same rate as Lowton and Westwood.

Agreed, he missed one tackle by the corner flag in the first half but other than that put in a good, confident performance.

Hasn't really been mentioned I thought he was culpable for their goal. Once Vlaar and Baker had been dragged across, and I'm not sure why Baker is getting the blame for the goal, Bennett needed to get across and cover the big area between the centre-halves and him. he didn't and left a huge hole which rose scored in.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:14 AM »
Which paper did that article come from Eastie? I've never heard anyone, least of all O'Neill, admit that he was £20 million above budget before. I hope they've got a good solicitor.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 04:36:37 AM »
I'm sure after a full pre-season knowing what to expect from the Prem, Vlaar and KEA will go up another level next season.  Both have had interrupted seasons with the associated yo-yo form that would be expected with newcomers from the Dutch league.  Dawkins was a lotto ticket that hasn't payed off.  Sylla and Bennett have shown enough to make me feel that they will develop into, at worst, solid players.  Benteke, Lowton and Westwood have such high ceilings they could be anything.  It's hard not to give that recruiting a big tick overall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal