collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert signing  (Read 11737 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Lambert signing
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but Dawkins is only on loan presumably as potential cover for Albrighton's injury. I'd have preferred to see Carruthers getting a look-in, but Dawkins will be back off to Spurs next month as he just doesn't look good enough.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Dawkins is a loan.  Can't see him being kept on.

For all the talk of how good Lambert's transfer policy is looking right now, I do still think we may need to do things slightly differently in the summer.  We need a bit of experience to get through the times when our youthful exuberence isn't working.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
I'm happy with Lambert's signings I think he has done really well with them I really like Benteke,Lowton and Westwood I think they are very good signings I think Bennett is starting to look good I'm more positive about the players he's signed if we stay up I think these players will push on next season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
Agreed- the players who have let us down in the main have been the ones left here when he took over , the likes , of Ireland, nzogbia and co.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
Special mention for Bennett - he has had a torrid time this season but tonight I thought he came of age. Not only did I think he played Adam Johnson pretty well, he also looked confident going forward and a real fullback.

By far his best game for us. Had the debate with my lad who thought that he was crap, that there is a player there. Not all going to develop at the same rate as Lowton and Westwood.

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
Special mention for Bennett - he has had a torrid time this season but tonight I thought he came of age. Not only did I think he played Adam Johnson pretty well, he also looked confident going forward and a real fullback.

By far his best game for us. Had the debate with my lad who thought that he was crap, that there is a player there. Not all going to develop at the same rate as Lowton and Westwood.

I think Bennetts actually done okay in the last couple of months. He's been getting better. He's had the odd nightmare game still, but he's most definitely been on an upward arc of late. He was superb yesterday. I think he'll do well here. I still think we need another couple of full backs to push Bennett and Lowton next season, and to provide suitable cover, because Enda and Eric aren't good enough.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »

Agreed, he missed one tackle by the corner flag in the first half but other than that put in a good, confident performance.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
Last night was tremendous but after 35 games of a 38 game season we are still in danger of relegation. Lambert has made good signings in terms mainly of potential but if we stay up then I like many others will want to see additions made to the squad or face another relegation struggle next season. Last summer I was concerned of the lack of experience in the squad and i'd still like to see a couple of signings with 200+ prem appearances in their locker.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
Last night was tremendous but after 35 games of a 38 game season we are still in danger of relegation. Lambert has made good signings in terms mainly of potential but if we stay up then I like many others will want to see additions made to the squad or face another relegation struggle next season. Last summer I was concerned of the lack of experience in the squad and i'd still like to see a couple of signings with 200+ prem appearances in their locker.

As long as they are good value I have no issue. If the Black Shirts go then I'd like Rose (not just because of last night) rated him for a couple of years and can still improve

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
Can't say I agree with that reasoning; a significant improvement has been made in the 2nd half of the season, with all the newbies getting to know each other AND the standard required to play well in the premiership.
If you consider the same improvement in the next half a season, equivalent to the difference between the 1st and 2nd halves of this season, then we would be pushing for a top 6 position.
Couple that with an obviously required improvement in defence and we would be comfortably top 6 before next season ends.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
Yes, we've been in great form since Newcastle at home, which, if extrapolated over 38 games, would represent a challenge for Europe.  However, we can't ignore the bad bits and not ask ourselves what can be done to combat these next season.  When we're not playing well, can we dig in and get a point?  Do we need a better organiser at the back?  To me, that sort of experience we're still short of, so it needs to at least be considered for the summer.  If it makes financial sense and we don't overload with them, one or two expereinced players would accelerate our progression. 

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
Anyone know what the transfer budget will be like for summer?

Who's likely to be fucked off as well?

Hopefully the defence is addressed and we can push on but as others have said I think his buys have been very good generally and he's done well with the players already here.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
Can't say I agree with that reasoning; a significant improvement has been made in the 2nd half of the season, with all the newbies getting to know each other AND the standard required to play well in the premiership.
If you consider the same improvement in the next half a season, equivalent to the difference between the 1st and 2nd halves of this season, then we would be pushing for a top 6 position.
Couple that with an obviously required improvement in defence and we would be comfortably top 6 before next season ends.

No clean sheets in 19 games. How many points dropped from winning positions? I'm not having a downer on the squad, all season i've been banging the drum about backing the young lads. However, with three games remaining relegation is a real possibilty and if that happens I can't see how the signings can be viewed as great. There has been a significant improvement recently and hopefully that will continue but I still am of the opinion a couple of seasoned pros would make a massive difference in a positive fashion.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

No clean sheets in 19 games. How many points dropped from winning positions? I'm not having a downer on the squad, all season i've been banging the drum about backing the young lads. However, with three games remaining relegation is a real possibilty and if that happens I can't see how the signings can be viewed as great. There has been a significant improvement recently and hopefully that will continue but I still am of the opinion a couple of seasoned pros would make a massive difference in a positive fashion.

We're as many points from 9th as we are from relegation so if we're still stating that relegation is a very real possibility (which is true) then are we right to state that a top half finish is still a very real possibility?

I posted the 11 game 'splits' before we played man u and at that time we'd averaged half a point per game more in the last 11 than we did in the first 11.  Given we signed a lot of new players who had no experience in this league that slow start should always have been expected.  With no major additions to the squad I think it would be fair to predict us ending up somewhere between 45-50 points next year, so comfortably mid table.  A few additions to add a bit of depth in a few areas (we're short of numbers across the entire defence) and give us a bit of extra quality and I think 50 points is a perfectly reasonable target next year.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
Yes, we've been in great form since Newcastle at home, which, if extrapolated over 38 games, would represent a challenge for Europe.  However, we can't ignore the bad bits and not ask ourselves what can be done to combat these next season.  When we're not playing well, can we dig in and get a point?  Do we need a better organiser at the back?  To me, that sort of experience we're still short of, so it needs to at least be considered for the summer.  If it makes financial sense and we don't overload with them, one or two expereinced players would accelerate our progression. 

I agree.  We don't need too many recruits to this squad what we do need as you say is some experience alongside Vlaar someone Vlaar can learn from rather than him being the teacher to Baker/Clarke as is the case now.  We also need a midfield general to orchestrate the play, if we could get Barry back for that role we would surely kick on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal