collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert: I want to build a top team  (Read 37699 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Lambert: I want to build a top team
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
Difficult to talk about long term when we're by no means certain to even stay up.  I'd have a bit more faith in the long term planning if Lambert and the board had taken the necessary steps to strengthen the defence in January.

Like Newcastle and QPR did?

What a fabulous argument.  Other teams bought shit players so it's a reason for us not to bother.  Brilliant.  Worked out well that particular ploy.

The point, which I'm sure you're aware, was that Newcastle and QPR bought players that many on here were clamouring for, and neither team look that better off despite a huge outlay.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
Difficult to talk about long term when we're by no means certain to even stay up.  I'd have a bit more faith in the long term planning if Lambert and the board had taken the necessary steps to strengthen the defence in January.

What a fabulous argument.  Other teams bought shit players so it's a reason for us not to bother.  Brilliant.  Worked out well that particular ploy.

Chucking money at the problem rather than developing those you have has worked out tremendously for those two clubs, hasn't it?

And if the Jawdees do drop, the business they did in January will just compound their problems.

Offline arnie66

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
It takes courage and nerve to stick to a long term strategy of re-building with youth and home grown talent.  I think that it really differentiates us from many teams...especially the likes of QPR who have taken the opposite approach.

As fans we have been brilliant by and large this season and I sense that the majority of realistic fans have grasped that although definitely being risky the pride that comes from building a team from within and playing football on the deck is really something worth striving for.

I am praying we survive this year as I think there will be much to celebrate at VP in years to come

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »

You wanted Samba FFS Risso! You cannot want a guy, then argue using him being woeful, which he has been, means we should have bought better. He was 12m and 120k a week. And has been useless. There is no value in Jan at all, you have to pay mad money. QPR did, and it has not worked, who is to say it would for us.

Firstly, I didn't want Samba.  All I said was we needed that type of defender, ie a big, hard experienced type.  We did then, and we do now.  Secondly, are we really supposed to believe that there was no defender in world footballer who would have improved our current shambles for under the silly money that Samba cost?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
There is no value in Jan at all, you have to pay mad money.
There is if you look in the right places.

Vidic, Young, Evra, Ba, Hangeland, Arteta, Carew, Ivanovic - all were bought in January and all money very well spent.

Edit - actually, apart from Ba. But it's hardly his fault that the rest of the West Ham team he was playing with were all rubbish.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
Maybe one day he'll get to do this again.

Put a little red cross in the top left hand corner of an empty frame?

Annoying, that is. Working fine for me, maybe I'm more computer illiterate than I thought.

Offline Risso

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

Chucking money at the problem rather than developing those you have has worked out tremendously for those two clubs, hasn't it?

And if the Jawdees do drop, the business they did in January will just compound their problems.

I don't have a problem with developing our players, but sticking rigidly to a strategy that clearly isn't working is the mark of stupidity and a badly run and managed club.  If we go down, it'll set us back years, and our financial state is far worse than Newcastle's.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »

I don't have a problem with developing our players, but sticking rigidly to a strategy that clearly isn't working is the mark of stupidity and a badly run and managed club.  If we go down, it'll set us back years, and our financial state is far worse than Newcastle's.

It's a fine line between sticking to a strategy that doesn't work, and sticking at something till it does work.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Lambert can talk positively as much as he wants.
But if his  boss doesn't give a fuck anymore, then it's just empty words.

But, that's a discussion for after the Wigan game, we have other things to worry about until then.

Offline Risso

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »

It's a fine line between sticking to a strategy that doesn't work, and sticking at something till it does work.

It wasn't working then and it isn't working now.  As I said, it's hardly surprising though as we're a badly run club from top to bottom. 

Offline LeeB

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

It wasn't working then and it isn't working now.  As I said, it's hardly surprising though as we're a badly run club from top to bottom. 

The defence has looked a lot better since January, and results have improved, so that sentence is just wrong.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »
I would'nt say we're a badly run club from top to bottom. Mistakes have been made and we should'nt be where we are. I don't think we've reached the comical levels shown by the boards at Wolves and Blackburn.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
I would'nt say we're a badly run club from top to bottom. Mistakes have been made and we should'nt be where we are. I don't think we've reached the comical levels shown by the boards at Wolves and Blackburn.

Far from it.

We have been run badly, but we've put that right in the last 10 months.

Just might be a bit too late.

Offline Risso

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

Far from it.

We've put it right?  Which is why we've been in and out of the bottom three all season and had just about the worst season in living memory, with relegation still a very real possibility.  We've just gone from one bad strategy to another.  You can't continue spending stupid money forever, but you also can't shift immediately to an austerity package and expect it to work.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »

Far from it.

We've put it right?  Which is why we've been in and out of the bottom three all season and had just about the worst season in living memory, with relegation still a very real possibility.  We've just gone from one bad strategy to another.  You can't continue spending stupid money forever, but you also can't shift immediately to an austerity package and expect it to work.

You should tell that to Cameron, Clegg and Osborne.

In any case it's hardly austerity, we've cut costs but the thrust of the article is this is the way Lambert wants to work, following the Dortmund model. Much is made of the lack of signings in January but they've got to fit in with overall philosophy. In any case the fact that our form and points total have improved since then suggests that it wasn't as clear cut an argument as some of you suggest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal