collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert: I want to build a top team  (Read 37866 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Lambert: I want to build a top team
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:20:09 AM »
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3159797,00.html

Paul Lambert says he's eager to build a top team that the fans can identify with.

Lambert sees this engaging and enterprising ethos most vividly at Borussia Dortmund, the club he won the Champions League with as a player.

Dortmund were in decline before Jurgen Klopp took over, with the new boss inspiring the team to show renewed charisma and passion.

One of the ways this was achieved was with a young and vibrant roster as fans delighted in the football played at the Westfalenstadion.

Lambert is eager to head in this direction and - despite the turbulent term so far - he thinks the supporters are appreciating his ambitious approach.

Interestingly when Lambert did his coaching badges in Germany, Klopp - who he says is a good guy deserving of success - was on the same course.

He said: "The policy started basically when we had young lads at Colchester. Then we went to Norwich and started to do it there.

"We got young ones to give it a go and the crowd bought into it quickly.

"The difference with that was that Norwich were in League One. Here it is the Barclays Premier League, the best division. That is tough to do at certain times.

"But with this approach you start to build things, you keep the lads together and they grow together.

"The crowd have been fantastic with it. It's like the Dortmund crowd at the minute. You give it everything you have got and they will respond that way.

"At Dortmund the lads have come through the youth setup. The crowd have identified that. They are right behind it. That's what you try to do here.

"The crowd have identified with the team they have got - a special team, a young team. The crowd are pivotal.

"If you can get the crowd that way and keep them on your side, then that certainly helps you.

"If you can get people to identify the club with the players then hopefully that will carry you.

"The fans have bought into it. The fans have been brilliant here. They have been excellent even though we have taken some beatings. I think a lot of people could have turned away.

"But the crowd have been fantastic, they have stayed with us.

"It's a club with history and tradition. They have won big things here. Any team that has won a European Cup, there's always pressure there. But the crowd have been absolutely fabulous.

"They get behind us. The away fans go in their thousands to watch you. You can sense it.

"It's about getting the fans to identify with the young players. Man Utd did it. Look at them.

"You have to get people who can relate to it. If you can keep the crowd and players together, I don't think you can go too far wrong.

"I have never doubted the strategy. Never. Because I know they give me absolutely everything in their bodies.

"Even the other night at Old Trafford, they kept going to the death, they never capitulated, which was great."

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
Re: Lambert: I want to build a top team
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
Fine words and an exciting approach to a difficult job of rebuilding. I can only hope it's not been too big a gamble where staying in the PL this season is concerned. The vast majority of fans have been incredibly patient with him, it must be said.

Jürgen Klopp is a brilliant, passionate manager. If Lambert looks to him for inspiration, that'll do me!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:41:30 AM by German James »

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »
who could we have got who would have realistically done better than Lambert?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
who could we have got who would have realistically done better than Lambert?

I think a fair few would, in the short term, have done better. Long term, with his strategy, not many IMO. I hope he is given time, and the above is why. He has genuine vision for Villa, not just a team to cover his own behind in the short term.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
Difficult to talk about long term when we're by no means certain to even stay up.  I'd have a bit more faith in the long term planning if Lambert and the board had taken the necessary steps to strengthen the defence in January.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
Difficult to talk about long term when we're by no means certain to even stay up.  I'd have a bit more faith in the long term planning if Lambert and the board had taken the necessary steps to strengthen the defence in January.

It was baffling especially when you consider he's got a player in that hardly ever plays

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »

Up or down I like the idea he has. The defence in Jan we don't know the story with but QPR spdnt 12.5 million on a centre half we would have all loved and he has been a total flop. a centre half would have been nice, but in truth we are 2-3 defensive players from a solid defence.  not easy in  Jan.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »

Like Newcastle and QPR did?

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »

It was baffling especially when you consider he's got a player in that hardly ever plays

Dawkins is on less wage than a lot of the youth team if he is on his MLS salary, so I think he was a total shot to nothing, which has not come off but with no width was worth a try.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
Maybe one day he'll get to do this again.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:28:45 AM by Chipsticks »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
Maybe one day he'll get to do this again.

Put a little red cross in the top left hand corner of an empty frame?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
I'd keep Lambert even if we go down. Partly just because we can't keep changing. But also because it's just obvious that we're progressing as a side (compare and contrast to this time last season when we were falling apart). I just watched the Man U game, and though we didn't score, some of our attacking play was really good.

He just needs to sort the bloody defence out. We need someone better than Vlaar. He gets caught out positionally too much.

I don't want to tempt fate, but at least we're looking better at set pieces now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »

What a fabulous argument.  Other teams bought shit players so it's a reason for us not to bother.  Brilliant.  Worked out well that particular ploy.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »

What a fabulous argument.  Other teams bought shit players so it's a reason for us not to bother.  Brilliant.  Worked out well that particular ploy.

You wanted Samba FFS Risso! You cannot want a guy, then argue using him being woeful, which he has been, means we should have bought better. He was 12m and 120k a week. And has been useless. There is no value in Jan at all, you have to pay mad money. QPR did, and it has not worked, who is to say it would for us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
The argument will be settled after the Wigan game when we finish above Newcastle and Wigan (and Norwich and Sunderland for that matter).

It was very high risk in January, especially in the bottom of our rut, but we have finally seen something; we pass the ball, we create chances and we do need more defensive quality, but at least we can see a future, whereas last season it was hard to imagine.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal