collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: History/nerdy-type questions  (Read 7132 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: History/nerdy-type questions
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
They didn't cope to well last season with a spot of pressure.

It was a lot closer then. They never needed just three points from five games to win the league.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
It is possible that we could relegate Wigan just as they arrive at Wembley for the cup final. Surely no team's been relegated hours before the biggest moment in their history before!

As for relegating other teams, in my mind we sent the Blues down by beating Liverpool a couple of years back. It felt like it that day anyway!

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
It is possible that we could relegate Wigan just as they arrive at Wembley for the cup final. Surely no team's been relegated hours before the biggest moment in their history before!

As for relegating other teams, in my mind we sent the Blues down by beating Liverpool a couple of years back. It felt like it that day anyway!

Didn't we practically relegate the Noses when we beat them 3-1 in 2006? I recall it being an 'us or them' scenario.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »

Middlesbrough lost the League and FA Cup Finals as well as getting relegated in one season didn't they?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
I haven't seen this mentioned on SSN today.

Apparently Man Utd can win the league though.

TS news just said both - that 2 would go down if Villa won and the obvious one.

Match of the Day mentioned it on Saturday and Sunday night.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

Middlesbrough lost the League and FA Cup Finals as well as getting relegated in one season didn't they?

That was when the FA cup final was held a week after the league finished, so they were down by then for a week.  And The league cup final is always too early for any league issues to be decided.

IN answer to DeKuip's question, I don't think so as league games are usually and rightly not played on cup final day.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »

If I have worked it out right we could relegate Wigan earlier in the day they are in the cup final if we take 7 more points from the United, Sunderland, Norwich and Chelsea games than they take from their games against Spurs, Albion and Swansea.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »

Didn't we practically relegate the Noses when we beat them 3-1 in 2006? I recall it being an 'us or them' scenario.

'Practically' is the word - neither of us were safe after the game, I think Milan Baros even said that in his post-match interview, but it doomed Blues. In the end they finished four points away from safety, and I think our game against them was the 34th/35th that season?

Was that when Portsmouth went on their run? They were the team inbetween us and Blues.

Offline glasses

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »

'Practically' is the word - neither of us were safe after the game, I think Milan Baros even said that in his post-match interview, but it doomed Blues. In the end they finished four points away from safety, and I think our game against them was the 34th/35th that season?

Was that when Portsmouth went on their run? They were the team inbetween us and Blues.
Yes, I think it was. They were relegated on the day we travelled to Liverpool, by virtue of Portsmouth winning at Wigan or somewhere like that. Think we lost 2 or 3-1. I was there, and very drunk.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:40 PM »
Bit of a weird question but probably right for this thread....when did we last win a game on Sky when Alan Parry has been commentating as he was tonight?

Seems to me we never win when I hear his voice on our games so a bit of a jinx commentator.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
I seriously can't remember the last time we won on a Monday night, full stop.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
I thought Reading was a monday night from early in the season but was on a Tuesday apparently.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:46 PM »
Last time we were in the north-west, away to a team in red, and they won the title having beaten us, we went on to win the league the very next season!!!

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
I seriously can't remember the last time we won on a Monday night, full stop.

Monday 4th May, 2009: Villa 1 Hull 0 (also 52nd anniversary of us last winning the F.A. Cup, oh, and my 24th wedding anniversary!)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Last time we were in the north-west, away to a team in red, and they won the title having beaten us, we went on to win the league the very next season!!!

Yay! Promotion beckons!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal