collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Which Players are Good Enough for 'The Next Level'?  (Read 18014 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Which Players are Good Enough for 'The Next Level'?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
I'm surprised some people haven't noticed the recent clear improvement in Bennett.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I'm surprised some people haven't noticed the recent clear improvement in Bennett.

I'm not.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
Albrighton and Herd are no way good enough.

Neither is your eyesight. ;)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

Herd looked comfortably good enough for the Premiership last season - and has been injured for a fair chunk of this. So, the jury has to stay out.
Bowery and Bennett - jury also still out, for me.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »

Ha ha our constant battle.

Offline Trouserdog

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
If you're not actually a Villa fan don't come on here slagging our players.

First time posters opening a topic in their first post is bad netiquette and often an opportunity for the opportunist troll. Many message boards do not allow it.

I'm not slagging anybody off and I'm not interested in trolling - there's quite clearly a fair bit of reasonable discussion being prompted by the post, so does it matter how many posts someone has got to their name?

Thanks for the responses though, i like to keep abreast of what's going on with the various Premiership squads (for future betting purposes) and some of the current Villa players I haven't watched as many times as others. Apologies if it seemed like I was having a dig- that wasn't the intention.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:10:20 PM by Trouserdog »

Offline Trouserdog

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »

I'm not actually a Villa fan but I think you might be overestimating the ability of a few players there...if you had that many players capable of playing for say, Liverpool or Everton, you'd surely be about 20 points better off by now! Stephen Ireland...deary me. Where did it all go wrong...

Huth and Shawcross good enough for top 4 teams, really?

I tried not to respond to this but couldn't resist.. :-X

Arguably top 4, probably top 7 though if I take my Stoke-tinted glasses off. The other good players we have are Begovic (who really is a fantastic keeper- top 4 without question) and N'Zonzi. The others are fair-to-average, which is why we are where we are in the league. As well as the manager's tactics, perhaps...but that's another story...

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
If you're not actually a Villa fan don't come on here slagging our players.

First time posters opening a topic in their first post is bad netiquette and often an opportunity for the opportunist troll. Many message boards do not allow it.

I'm not slagging anybody off and I'm not interested in trolling - there's quite clearly a fair bit of reasonable discussion being prompted by the post, so does it matter how many posts someone has got to their name?

Thanks for the responses though, i like to keep abreast of what's going on with the various Premiership squads (for future betting purposes) and some of the current Villa players I haven't watched as many times as others. Apologies if it seemed like I was having a dig- that wasn't the intention.
Quite strange to have a pop at our players then when our front 3 tore you a new one only two weeks ago. For what it's worth, Begovic does look top draw, Shawcross is top 7 and Huth is a mediocre thug.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

Herd looked comfortably good enough for the Premiership last season - and has been injured for a fair chunk of this. So, the jury has to stay out.
Bowery and Bennett - jury also still out, for me.

I don't feel Herd is good enough.  He's a runner and covers a lot of groud.  You can't fault his effort.  But his passing range is shocking, he can't keep up with tempo of the Premier League. And fails to keep shape.  He's a 2nd Division player for me.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Herd has been used this season as a CB, which he's not good at, IMO.  Under TSM, he looked decent in central midfield.  However, I'd say no more so than Westwood, Delph or Sylla.  And he's certainly not the 'general' we need in there, so not sure where he'd fit in.  If he's happy to stay as a utility player on relatively low wages, then great, but otherwise shoud move on for 1st team football.   

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
Herd has been used this season as a CB, which he's not good at, IMO.  Under TSM, he looked decent in central midfield.  However, I'd say no more so than Westwood, Delph or Sylla.  And he's certainly not the 'general' we need in there, so not sure where he'd fit in.  If he's happy to stay as a utility player on relatively low wages, then great, but otherwise shoud move on for 1st team football.   

Herd looked ok in a midfield where the primary requirement was to protect the back 4 and keep the opposition out.  In that system I think he can be a good 'terrier' in the middle.  In a possession based game I don't think he's got the quality on the ball to play there.  I do think he could be a good option as a full back though, if we need someone to sit a bit deeper and keep us solid.

If he's happy to stay as squad cover he's worth keeping as he is a decent squad player and will do a job when asked to, as with others, he's no near enough to the top of the list to replace to worry about it too much.  If we got some decent offers I'd let him go but I wouldn't be out looking for offers.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
At right back Herd looked really good.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
Herd was probably one of our best players last season (probably because TSM liked his battling qualities), and he did score a couple of good goals.

I just can't see him either fitting into Lambert's system or helping us progress to the next level.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Herd was useful in a really poor footballing side, unfortunately he'll never be good enough in the midfield in a side trying to play good football.

Offline eastie

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
Herd was useful in a really poor footballing side, unfortunately he'll never be good enough in the midfield in a side trying to play good football.

I would retain herd for his versatility and he could be a useful squad player - he has played right back, central defence and midfield and always gives his best.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal