collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul the Pauper  (Read 10923 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Paul the Pauper
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
Whats wrong with Macron? They're paying us more dollar than anybody else?

The kits are dire.
Personally it's my favourite Villa kit to actually play football in for years.

Have to agree.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
When it's confirmed that we are still in this division come May he should have his salary doubled.

Why?

From a business point of view.  He's been given a brief to reduce the wage bill to an acceptable level, one in which is a step to the organization being self sustainable.  This strategy is the wish of the owner.  If we stay in the division it will be mission accomplished.  Aside from that he has implemented changes in commercial areas which have resulted in increased revenues.  So purely from a business point of view he's doing a good job if we do stay up.

Yes, it's been an awful season for a club of our size but you are well aware the 'plan' is to steer the club in a different direction to try and achieve success.  The first step has been painful as we see from our current position.  Next season we will see if it's been worth it.

What's the "different direction"? Is it to just survive in the PL like the Stoke, Wigan and  Fulhams' of this world? If that's the case why the hell did Lerner buy the club?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
When it's confirmed that we are still in this division come May he should have his salary doubled.

Why?

From a business point of view.  He's been given a brief to reduce the wage bill to an acceptable level, one in which is a step to the organization being self sustainable.  This strategy is the wish of the owner.  If we stay in the division it will be mission accomplished.  Aside from that he has implemented changes in commercial areas which have resulted in increased revenues.  So purely from a business point of view he's doing a good job if we do stay up.

Yes, it's been an awful season for a club of our size but you are well aware the 'plan' is to steer the club in a different direction to try and achieve success.  The first step has been painful as we see from our current position.  Next season we will see if it's been worth it.

What's the "different direction"? Is it to just survive in the PL like the Stoke, Wigan and  Fulhams' of this world? If that's the case why the hell did Lerner buy the club?

If you don't understand or see what they are attempting to do it is not worth attempting to explain it. Never a more negative man in the world that you SH.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »

Why?

You have surely seen the "new direction" being discussed enough times to know what it is.  You were one of the most vociferous opponents of it because you were against signing so many players without premier league experience.  The test of whether you were right in your opinion is if we a) stay up this season and b) kick on next season.  However a change in strategy such as Villa have undergone was never going to be achieved without some pain. 

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »

Why?

If you don't understand or see what they are attempting to do it is not worth attempting to explain it. Never a more negative man in the world that you SH.

Perhaps this season has just been a nightmare and actually we're battling for a place in Europe?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
As I've said before, being skint and not being able to spend money isn't a 'direction' or a plan.  The decision not to buy a defender in January was really negligent, and if we go down will be one of the main contributory factors.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
He's also probably on about one quarter of the annual salary of say, Barry Bannan.

I can't think of too many other industries where the person in charge of everything gets paid such a small proportion of the overall wage bill.

If you pay peanuts etc...

Well quite. Oh how it shows.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
As I've said before, being skint and not being able to spend money isn't a 'direction' or a plan.  The decision not to buy a defender in January was really negligent, and if we go down will be one of the main contributory factors.

I agree with Risso to be honest. I don't really believe it's a plan, rather something that has been foisted on the club. We'll get nowhere by being the training club for other team's great players. Take the Benteke situation for instance; there was a time where people would have been bullish about him staying, yet it's pretty much out in the open that he's in the shop window and people are fine with this. That's what has happened to our expectations of the club.

I rarely moan on here about things, or at least I'm not as vociferous as others, but I think the club is stagnant from the top down. I just cannot see us going anywhere or doing anything with things the way they are.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »

I agree with Risso to be honest. I don't really believe it's a plan, rather something that has been foisted on the club. We'll get nowhere by being the training club for other team's great players. Take the Benteke situation for instance; there was a time where people would have been bullish about him staying, yet it's pretty much out in the open that he's in the shop window and people are fine with this. That's what has happened to our expectations of the club.

I rarely moan on here about things, or at least I'm not as vociferous as others, but I think the club is stagnant from the top down. I just cannot see us going anywhere or doing anything with things the way they are.

Agreed. It's the guff from the club that we have a long term plan to blood young and hungry players like its some kind of genius plan for world domination that bugs me. We're doing it because its cheap, that's all. The club is in a downward spiral and will end in relegation. Might not be this season, but we'll go down soon enough unless Lerner realises you have to invest in PL standard players just to stand still in this league let alone advance.
Don't care if this view pisses off others on here but that's how I see it.  The majority of players in our squad are not good enough for Aston Villa FC, and that why we're in this almighty mess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal