collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Back in full training  (Read 14890 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Gary Gardner - Back in full training
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
Donacein is one who i think might make a decent centre half if he sticks with it.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
Lets not pile the pressure on a fella that has two major injuries inside two years - rehab and recuperation over the summer and a gentle introduction into the squad if he is up to it.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
All these players touted as the next generation will be better served going out on loan and playing regular football than getting 15 games as sub/league cup matches.  Especially when we have a bit of a back log of midfielders clogging their route to the first team.

IŽd sign one midfield general and a first team winger and slot in Westwood, Sylla, Delph, KEA, Weimann and Gabby around them.  Bannan, Ireland, Bent and Albrighton can be sold.  Gardner and any of the other youngsters sent off on loan to a footballing side in the lower divisions.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
With Kevin Mac at Swindon surely there is a good opportunity to loan some of the younger ones knowing the style of football they will be asked to play.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
With Kevin Mac at Swindon surely there is a good opportunity to loan some of the younger ones knowing the style of football they will be asked to play.

That's a good shout.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
I've got high hopes for Gardner and Westwood in the middle....

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Unlike a few on here I'd be trying to get Gardner onto the bench and hopefully a few minutes here and there in the last 5 games.

I said somewhere before I want him determined to make the most of it next year and force his way into the side, a bit of time in the match day squad this season after such a long lay off is a clear indication to him that we want him to step up and be involved and could be the catalyst to him putting in 5-10% more in pre-season.  What we don't have in the middle of the park is anyone willing and able to force the keeper into action from 25yards.  It makes us very predictable.  Gardner, Like his brother, has a rocket of a shot from distance and I really want to see him him get a run of games to show it off.

I don't think loaning him out is a good idea unless there's no chance he's going to be near the team next year.  For some players a loan spell is important but for others you just need to back them to deliver, he had his short spell at Coventry and looked good, and he's looked top drawer for the England U21s and our own youth teams at all levels.

I think he'll be on the bench for the last 2-3 games and I think it's the right decision.

Offline Summers

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »
If, big if, he's ready and fit enough to be involved, I'd have him in. He's a talented lad, and having him available on the bench may lead to our safety.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 02:55:37 AM »
I've got high hopes for Gardner and Westwood in the middle....

In my dreamworld this becomes a world class partnership. My dreams rarely come true but still....

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »
From the O/S
Gary Gardner spoke of his delight at returning to action for Villa's U21 side, declaring: "I'm back and feeling strong."

Gardner made a surprise comeback in the Barclays U21 Premier League defeat at Fulham - eight months after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

The 20-year-old got 45 minutes under his belt at Motspur Park and went close with a couple of long-range efforts before being replaced at half-time by Jordan Lyden.

It was his first appearance in a Villa shirt since the U21 clash against Stoke at Bodymoor Heath on August 22.

"It has been a long time, eight months, but I'm back now feeling strong and ready to kick on so hopefully everything will be all right," said Gardner.

"I don't think you lose it. If I see a sight at goal I'll shoot. It's just a case of getting my match fitnessback.

"I'm happy to be back and hopefully I can push on now.

"Once it is healed you are stronger than before so it is just about getting your match fitness up and playing games again."

Gardner has vowed to take his comeback one step at a time after admitting it was a bonus to return to action before the end of the current campaign.

The final U21 league fixture against Everton at Bodymoor Heath in eight days time is his next target.

"It is ahead of schedule and I'll listen to the staff here," he added.

"They have been brilliant with me throughout my rehab and if they say play half a game, I'll play half a game.

"I'm eager to play more but I've got to be sensible and listen to them.

"I could have left it until next season but the type of lad I am, I wanted to be back playing as soon as possible and I'm happy that I've come back before the end of the season.

"I'll train all week and hopefully play next week - maybe for a bit longer than today. I'll take it step by step and hopefully I'll be ok."

Gardner thanked manager Paul Lambert for helping him remain upbeat throughout his long stint on the sidelines.

"I spoke to him in training and he said take it easy and don't rush eight months into one game," he added.

"He has been brilliant all the way through. He just said keep your head up and you will be back.

"Time has flown and now I'm back training with the squad and it has been brilliant."

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
GoodO Gary, here's hoping you make a first team shirt your own.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
I could have left it until next season but the type of lad I am, I wanted to be back playing as soon as possible and I'm happy that I've come back before the end of the season.

That line is why I'd like to see him involved in the first team squad this season, we need to feed that hunger, get him really chomping at the bit for next year.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
A bit like Suarez, then?

(gets coat and runs off)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »
I do hope this lad makes it and having had more than his fair share of injuries now remains injury free for the rest of his career.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
He's playing for the reserves at the moment. Good luck Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal