collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goal Line Technology. It's here, at last.  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
Re: Goal Line Technology. It's here, at last.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »
Presumably the clubs relegated next season to the championship won't then be using it in their next season as they'd have some sort of advantage?

The Football League haven't adopted it so the relegated clubs won't need to both installing it.

But why would it give them an advantage anyway?  All the system seeks to do is make goalline decisions more accurate.  There's no inherent advantage in that for any team.

Sorry, didn't word it properly. I was referring to the teams that have had it installed and are then relegated. As you say the Football League haven't adopted it, so in these cases it will have been installed, used for a season or two, then will be unused. Unless they're promoted of course.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »
I assume that Hawk-Eye will retain ownership of all the kit, so it'll just get moved to the new grounds

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
I assume that Hawk-Eye will retain ownership of all the kit, so it'll just get moved to the new grounds

I very much doubt it.

The Premier League requires all clubs to install it. Why would Hawkeye rent it to them? They'll make more money selling it to them. Then when new clubs get promoted they can sell it to them too.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
I'm not so sure. There's 7 clubs ever-present since inception, man city aren't going anywhere soon, fulham could be described as well-established, and newcastle should soon get their house in order, so that's 10. Added to which is the forthcoming increased revenue which, in all regrettable likelihood, will see the same small number of clubs yoyoing, so surely 20 rental and service agreements in perpetuity would generate more income?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
I'm not so sure. There's 7 clubs ever-present since inception, man city aren't going anywhere soon, fulham could be described as well-established, and newcastle should soon get their house in order, so that's 10. Added to which is the forthcoming increased revenue which, in all regrettable likelihood, will see the same small number of clubs yoyoing, so surely 20 rental and service agreements in perpetuity would generate more income?
That's my take on it. Expensive to install, if you get relegated expensive to uninstall. Rental will probably be the way they do it.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »
That's my take on it. Expensive to install, if you get relegated expensive to uninstall. Rental will probably be the way they do it.

The expense of the installation and uninstallation is even more likely to see clubs buy rather than rent.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
Better financially for Hawkeye to rent, surely ?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
That hawkes bloke hes gonna be pretty rich . Good on him.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »
43 years too late.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
About bloody time. Cricket is a much better and fairer sport because of technology.
Ive never understood the argument if Sunday league teams wont have the technology then why should premier league teams.

Looking forward to snicko coming in to determine corners / goalkicks, and hotspot to establish the size of Barrys ass.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Ive never understood the argument if Sunday league teams wont have the technology then why should premier league teams.

Me neither.

The vast majority of Sunday league games I was involved in over the years didn't have linesmen either so the absence of goalline technology wasn't really going to make things any worse!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
About bloody time. Cricket is a much better and fairer sport because of technology.

Had this argument with someone yesterday, he was insisting that football should be the same at all levels and it's the best sport in the World because it is the same for Premier League and Sunday League players.

I pointed out that generally in Sunday League you get much worse referees and it's often the substitutes running the line, so it's nowhere near the same as Premier League.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »

Had this argument with someone yesterday, he was insisting that football should be the same at all levels and it's the best sport in the World because it is the same for Premier League and Sunday League players.

I pointed out that generally in Sunday League you get much worse referees and it's often the substitutes running the line, so it's nowhere near the same as Premier League.

If the top end of the game could never introduce anything that wasn't immediately introduced at all levels, we would probably still be playing with posts with a rope tied across and no nets.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal