collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goal Line Technology. It's here, at last.  (Read 7979 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Goal Line Technology. It's here, at last.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
As much as I am against having any kind of TV replays, I do think this is necessary.
This technology is no stop in play or look at replays. It's in or out and if in the ref gets a signal and a goal will be awarded.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
As much as I am against having any kind of TV replays, I do think this is necessary.
This technology is no stop in play or look at replays. It's in or out and if in the ref gets a signal and a goal will be awarded.

Something FIFA did right. They set a maximum time limit for the signal to get to the ref. Hawkeye and the German system alert the ref in less than a second.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Thank god there are no premier league teams down this end of the country as this would be the local version of Hawkeye!!!

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
This is the one to be used at this year's Confederations Cup

The GoalControl-4D system works with 14 high-speed cameras (7 per goal) around the pitch at the stadium roof/catwalk. The cameras are connected to a powerful image processing computer system which tracks the movement of all objects on the pitch and filters out the players, referees and all disturbing objects. The remaining object is the ball and the system knows its three dimensional x-, y- and z-position with a precision of a few millimeters in the coordinate system of the pitch. When the ball passes the goal line, the system sends a vibration- and optical signal to the officals´watches. Of course, all camera images of such goal event, and also of all near-goal events, are stored and can be replayed anytime.

The bit in bold worries me a bit.

Why does that worry you?

As I posted earlier, if it remains as purely an objective view of over the line or not, then fine. It'd be difficult to make an argument against. Frees linesmen up from focusing on that in a crowded goalmouth, if nothing else.
But were the pictures to be available real-time pitchside, I venture that it wouldn't be too long before we start hearing post-match interviews saying "we've got the technology in place, so we should use it" about every single debatable decision and non-decision in and around the box.
My earlier 'wedge' metaphor was probably not the best. 'Slippery slope' might be better.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
This is the one to be used at this year's Confederations Cup

The GoalControl-4D system works with 14 high-speed cameras (7 per goal) around the pitch at the stadium roof/catwalk. The cameras are connected to a powerful image processing computer system which tracks the movement of all objects on the pitch and filters out the players, referees and all disturbing objects. The remaining object is the ball and the system knows its three dimensional x-, y- and z-position with a precision of a few millimeters in the coordinate system of the pitch. When the ball passes the goal line, the system sends a vibration- and optical signal to the officals´watches. Of course, all camera images of such goal event, and also of all near-goal events, are stored and can be replayed anytime.

The bit in bold worries me a bit.

Why does that worry you?

As I posted earlier, if it remains as purely an objective view of over the line or not, then fine. It'd be difficult to make an argument against. Frees linesmen up from focusing on that in a crowded goalmouth, if nothing else.
But were the pictures to be available real-time pitchside, I venture that it wouldn't be too long before we start hearing post-match interviews saying "we've got the technology in place, so we should use it" about every single debatable decision and non-decision in and around the box.
My earlier 'wedge' metaphor was probably not the best. 'Slippery slope' might be better.

I think that's quite a good point actually, the idea of every single big tackle or possible dive halting play and requiring video consultation would be a piss take.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

That was my point and that's why I am in favour of it.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:49 AM »

I hope it's a suitably high voltage signal. If Lowton's goal last week lacked anything it was the sight of the ref jumping six feet in the air and then collapsing in a smouldering heap.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
Leave that to Dowd this Saturday !
I am sure he will when we score 3 and he has no reason to card us to death.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
Well that didn't take long, did it?!!! Just heard Wenger, he wants it used for offsides. Slippery slope, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline danlanza

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
As long as Arsenal are never given offside !

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
Presumably the clubs relegated next season to the championship won't then be using it in their next season as they'd have some sort of advantage?

The Football League haven't adopted it so the relegated clubs won't need to both installing it.

But why would it give them an advantage anyway?  All the system seeks to do is make goalline decisions more accurate.  There's no inherent advantage in that for any team.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 03:05:14 PM »
Well that didn't take long, did it?!!! Just heard Wenger, he wants it used for offsides. Slippery slope, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But he never saw it did he?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
I think it should be used in major tournament ie Champ League, World Cup, (Final of Cup final), and European Champions, plus top league like Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bungeliga, so if the stadium have it should be used, but we shouldn't expect the like of Walsall, Coventry, and Small Heath to have it as they are not in top division. I think there should be a red flag challenge for Manager to use but only limited to 2 each half, so if they got both wrong in first half, they lose a challenge in 2nd half. 

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:22 AM »
Thanks for the video, Chipsticks. Can't argue with that, really. Anybody got any idea what the other system involves?

Yes its German and its been designed to conclusively prove Geoff Hursts volley was not over the line.....but it was!!!!

Offline danlanza

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
Thanks for the video, Chipsticks. Can't argue with that, really. Anybody got any idea what the other system involves?

Yes its German and its been designed to conclusively prove Geoff Hursts volley was not over the line.....but it was!!!!
Very good, Ron.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal