collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 'What a f****n goal Lowts!'  (Read 8223 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: 'What a f****n goal Lowts!'
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »
We'll talk about that goal with the same fondness as Ashley Young's last minute winner at Everton I suspect.

<Calling Legion>

Offline bones.

• GM : 28.01.2020
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19:27 AM »
I hope he does get (and finishes) the chance to sign off in a flourish that guarantees our survival.
The winner against Sunderland would be nice.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
I like Bent and I loved his obvious joy at Lowtons goal. Bent will help us yet gents. A good player who will fight his way back into the starting line up. We should be happy to have such competition for the forward spaces.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
I like Bent and I loved his obvious joy at Lowtons goal. Bent will help us yet gents. A good player who will fight his way back into the starting line up. We should be happy to have such competition for the forward spaces.

I like bent too- his goals saved us a couple of years back and he is a quality goalscorer- I think he will move on in the summer if we keep benteke , and if so i will wish him well.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

Agreed. Like someone said on here yesterday, if there's an injury to Benteke or one of the others, then it's a hell of a player to have come in.  As long has he's happy to fight for his place then i'd keep him.

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »

I like bent too- his goals saved us a couple of years back and he is a quality goalscorer- I think he will move on in the summer if we keep benteke , and if so i will wish him well.

I'm not confident we'll keep Benteke.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »

Darren Bent has scored 124 Premier League goals. At this present time everything appears hunky dory. Benteke/Weimann and even Agbonlahor (remarkably) are scoring goals so he doesnt matter.

But he might do.

If we go down it is accepted that Benteke will move on.Weimann might as well. If we stay up once again the money boys will come racing in for Benteke straight away with the offer of riches beyond his dreams which will set him up for life at the age of 22.

He has the choice of a wage increase at Villa Park that will be substantial or a wage increase ,at say ,Man City that would be astronomical.

What would you do?

Which leaves us without a goal scoring centre forward .Except we have one!  Lambert only has to find a winger in the Aaron Lennon mould who can cross a ball at pace and Bent will get on the end of it.

Lambert (who is flavour of the month at the moment) will not do this and therefore he will play..

Jordan Bowery at centre forward a limited fourth division player who works hard.

Only my opinion but I think Lambert is poor tactically and wants our club to mirror how he had Norwich playing that is a mid table club like Fulham who sometimes look better than what they actually are.

The summer break will be interesting!

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

Darren Bent has scored 124 Premier League goals. At this present time everything appears hunky dory. Benteke/Weimann and even Agbonlahor (remarkably) are scoring goals so he doesnt matter.

But he might do.

If we go down it is accepted that Benteke will move on.Weimann might as well. If we stay up once again the money boys will come racing in for Benteke straight away with the offer of riches beyond his dreams which will set him up for life at the age of 22.

He has the choice of a wage increase at Villa Park that will be substantial or a wage increase ,at say ,Man City that would be astronomical.

What would you do?

Which leaves us without a goal scoring centre forward .Except we have one!  Lambert only has to find a winger in the Aaron Lennon mould who can cross a ball at pace and Bent will get on the end of it.

Lambert (who is flavour of the month at the moment) will not do this and therefore he will play..

Jordan Bowery at centre forward a limited fourth division player who works hard.

Only my opinion but I think Lambert is poor tactically and wants our club to mirror how he had Norwich playing that is a mid table club like Fulham who sometimes look better than what they actually are.

The summer break will be interesting!

The transfer thread will be a wonderful place to be this summer ;)

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
This is getting very tired. Bent can only play up front, not in any of the support strikers role. Benteke is sensational. Lambert clearly made the right call. We can't play 442

Simple

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
This is getting very tired. Bent can only play up front, not in any of the support strikers role. Benteke is sensational. Lambert clearly made the right call. We can't play 442

Simple

Bent is a very different striker to benteke, he wouldn't make an out and out replacement for him if injured- i think bent will want to play regularly and move elsewhere and lambert will look for a striker as back up to benteke  in a similar mould.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »

Simple

Correct. He is an out and out goalscoring centre forward

We know Benteke is sensational. So what do we do if he decides money is his objective and moves to a club who will pay him a weekly salary of far far in excess of the 40000 grand a week we will no doubt offer him?

Whats your solution to this problem Matt?

Nothing in life is simple.

Offline Boz

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »
Given the injury problems and not making our starting eleven, Bent's transfer value has dropped a long way from the heady days when he was in the England squad.

I think he'll go but Villa will lose a lot of money on him but save the wages. But if Benteke leaves, maybe Lambert may have to reconsider his options.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »

Simple

We know Benteke is sensational. So what do we do if he decides money is his objective and moves to a club who will pay him a weekly salary of far far in excess of the 40000 grand a week we will no doubt offer him?

How about we trust the manager who bought the 'sensational' Benteke to find a suitable replacement, if he believes Bent is the right person to be that replacement then fine, if he doesn't then I'm going to trust his judgement.  His eye for a good striker is one thing no one can deny right now.

Offline supertom

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Bent is a dying breed of striker. He's a pure, out and out goal scorer who can't really do too much else. In the modern game players like him are becoming a rarity. Guys like Andy Cole, Michael Owen, Ian Wright who'd play right off the shoulder but would demand the service to get the best out them.
Also much like Andy Cole, a draw back to Bent is that, though he's always making very good runs and gets into good positions, he sometimes needs 3-4 chances to put one in the back of the net. So by virtue you have to be creating these chances for him.

Even Fergie recognised 6-7 years ago the way the league was heading and realised he couldn't carry Ruud Van Horseface. Fucking brilliant player at what he did, but all he did was score goals. You spend large amounts of the game with basically 9 outfield players when you play a striker like that. Hernandez is your classic goalscorer but adapted for the modern game. Technically he's very good, he can run at people and he gets involved in the game.
Lets face it though, every one wants to be Barca. In that side, every single player gets involved, every single player wants the ball. 

Only 2 players in our side, Lowton and Westwood, have made more passes than Benteke this season, suggesting he gets a lot of the ball. He's our top scorer and our joint top in assists. Bent cannot do what Benteke has done.

I like Bent. But his days as a striker for a top club are over. He's also probably only got 2 more years at Prem level before his style becomes even more obsolete. To be honest we need to sell him now whilst we can get some sort of reasonable fee. Leave it till Jan, or the following summer and we'll get peanuts. Lambert isn't, and shouldn't, adapt his style to suit Bent.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »

Simple

How about we trust the manager who bought the 'sensational' Benteke to find a suitable replacement, if he believes Bent is the right person to be that replacement then fine, if he doesn't then I'm going to trust his judgement.  His eye for a good striker is one thing no one can deny right now.

Agreed the Benteke signing has proved to be an absolute masterstroke whatever happens now but let's hope he's got a similar talent for spotting centre halves as we'll be needing at least one maybe two in the summer.

We still have several positions within the side that are occupied by players that simply aren't good enough.  Lambert still has a ton of work to do even if we stay up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal