collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Christians cry foul over Villa's Easter Sunday Liverpool clash  (Read 13540 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: Aston Christians cry foul over Villa's Easter Sunday Liverpool clash
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
and perhaps Sky think more people will be eating out in later afternoon. I think it is daft time for a game.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
and perhaps Sky think more people will be eating out in later afternoon. I think it is daft time for a game.

But did you grab a hot cross bun Michael?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
I did feel sympathy for them until the bloke with the mic announced he was a Leeds fan and would 'see you villa fans next season'. Cheeky bleeder
I know he may be a man of god and has strong belief in miracles but there is no way Leeds are coming up this season!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »
I'm an atheist and there is plenty I dislike about organised religion but I can see their point. Good for them that they are willing to stand up and make their views known even though it leaves them open to ridicule and criticism from the majority.
We used to have more football at Easter, sometimes 3 games in 4 days. Friday, Saturday, Monday - not Sunday !
Yeah I agree. I miss the days when we played Saturday and Monday over Easter. They quietly got rid of that. The busy Christmas fixture will be next to go.
Fully agree. 2 Easter games used to be great fun but I guess why should fans actually going to matches have fun?

Offline exigo

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
I'm an atheist and there is plenty I dislike about organised religion but I can see their point. Good for them that they are willing to stand up and make their views known even though it leaves them open to ridicule and criticism from the majority.
We used to have more football at Easter, sometimes 3 games in 4 days. Friday, Saturday, Monday - not Sunday !

Back in the days when fixtures were played on Christmas day and boxing day.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
Anybody else ringing bells for hours in the afternoon would have an Asbo slapped on them, so with all due respect, I think the Christians should pipe down.

Offline Richard C

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure that our founder would have understood the church's position and acted accordingly -

from Wiki - "William McGregor was a committed Christian who was widely respected for his honesty and integrity. He worshipped for forty years at the Congregational church in Wheeler Street, Aston. His pastor, the Revd. W.G. Percival said that the best thing about him "was not so much the genial, kindly, honest sportsman, but the Christian behind it all". He described him as "a man of absolutely unblemished personal character"

Spot on Alex. I can never understand the the "organised religion hater's" given Villa's roots, and the offensive "god bother" comments, when what i suspect is really meant is they just dont like Christian's. The same comments would never be made about Allah.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Just to point out that William McGregor wasn't actually our founder of course, as any Aston Villa fan should know.  Tut tut.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
Ironic, I suppose, but if I hadn't been for the Church we'd probably all be Albion fans. That's reason enough to get on your knees and praise the Lord.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Easter is a Babylonian pagan tradition inserted into Christianity (as is Christmas)...it has as much to do with football as it does dog or jebus.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure that our founder would have understood the church's position and acted accordingly -

from Wiki - "William McGregor was a committed Christian who was widely respected for his honesty and integrity. He worshipped for forty years at the Congregational church in Wheeler Street, Aston. His pastor, the Revd. W.G. Percival said that the best thing about him "was not so much the genial, kindly, honest sportsman, but the Christian behind it all". He described him as "a man of absolutely unblemished personal character"

This. But, thanks to Sky TV money talks.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
Just to point out that William McGregor wasn't actually our founder of course, as any Aston Villa fan should know.  Tut tut.

However Villa's founders were all good Methodists who I'm sure would have every sympathy with the Christian viewpoint here.

Offline russon

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Anybody else ringing bells for hours in the afternoon would have an Asbo slapped on them, so with all due respect, I think the Christians should pipe down.
all due respect to Christians from Risso, we're making progress!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
I can see their point. Whilst being able to see their point it isn't a point a necessarily agree with but I thought the way they made their case showed some class and humour to be fair. The way to get your point across without alienating people.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
Easter is a Babylonian pagan tradition inserted into Christianity (as is Christmas)...it has as much to do with football as it does dog or jebus.

In the absence of Babylonians and Pagans let's stick with the Christian version.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal