collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wide Boys?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Fernando Partridge

Re: Wide Boys?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
Erm the idea is for the full backs to get forward in the villa formation. Its not really a case of not favoring the width but the midfielder as touchline hugging wideboy. Think next season expect to see alto more flexibility with front players. By the way could anyone tell me where sylla was playing on Sunday- he seemed in the hole role at times and sometimes on right wide side  of pitch. Once when gabs took on a shot he could have put sylla in who totally free and in space. With sylla I found he did not drive  forward and ambles around. Know he's finding his feet but was left thinking Fab Delph playing would have been more beneficial. Anyways Bennett and Lowton can be effective getting forward and would like them to be encouraged to developing their play by advancing to by line or at least 18 yard box  rather than cross from deep...  However this means more energetic midfielders than westwood and sylla 

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Most of our goals this year have tended to come from wide positions. When we've expanded our play a little and used the wide areas we've looked more threatening in attack. You'd think by now that Lambert would have sussed and made sure we get wide more often. We shouldn't rest entirely on one area of attack. O Neill could only play wide for example. We lacked any sort of cutting edge or spark in the middle.
I do worry with so many players capable of doing good work in wide areas, like N'Zog and Gabby, that we're not making the most of them.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »
Most of our goals this year have tended to come from wide positions. When we've expanded our play a little and used the wide areas we've looked more threatening in attack. You'd think by now that Lambert would have sussed and made sure we get wide more often. We shouldn't rest entirely on one area of attack. O Neill could only play wide for example. We lacked any sort of cutting edge or spark in the middle.
I do worry with so many players capable of doing good work in wide areas, like N'Zog and Gabby, that we're not making the most of them.

This is misleading.

Where we've done well has been when we've got the ball out wide at the right time after moving it around quickly.  Where we've struggled has been the games where everything is too pedestrian.  Getting pass on the ball and players moving off each other creates gaps, with those most often appearing on the edge of the box to either side or in the gap between midfield and attack because it's safer to give someone space in those areas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal