collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Makoun gone too !!  (Read 8136 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Makoun gone too !!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
I'd rather have Westwood than Makoun.

Bye

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Bradley doing well in Italy doesn't guarantee he'd have done it here, maybe it suits his game?

It is a reminder, though, that we are sometimes a bit hasty to write players off, and a handful of games is nothing like enough.

When you throw in the fact that writing a player off means a waste of money, and look at our financial situation, that's another reason not to do it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
Bradley doing well in Italy doesn't guarantee he'd have done it here, maybe it suits his game?

It is a reminder, though, that we are sometimes a bit hasty to write players off, and a handful of games is nothing like enough.

When you throw in the fact that writing a player off means a waste of money, and look at our financial situation, that's another reason not to do it.

I'd say giving shit players long, expensive contracts is far more damaging.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
Of course it is, but its still no reason to write them off in a hurry.

In fact, if anything, it is the opposite.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
If i could remember much about him i might have an opinion on this.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
I suppose it's better than paying him to play for another club, or not play at all.

Utterly baffling that we brought in a non-EU player without bothering to ask the Home Office what the rules were, then loaned him to a non-English speaking country that is massively in debt so we'd have no chance of renewing his work permit or accruing a sizeable transfer fee.

Good luck Jean II.

Yep, all of that and also throw in pauliewalnuts points about not being given a chance and the knock on effects of changing manager every season.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:15 PM »

He was a purveyor of fine knitwear.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »

jean deux o'who, son of martin o'who.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
Also worth remembering at the time we signed Michael Bradley who really did look toss in a few of his cameos and since then he's gone on to do very well in Italy.

I think it just shows our decisions in central midfield since Milner left have been awful bar Westwood who will be a good player for us. That's one of the reasons we've plummeted from top 6 so quickly.

Loads of teams get away with dodgy defences if their midfield and attack are good, Norwich for one did last season. Ours isn't.

I think the fact that Bradley's done well in Italy doesn't prove at all that he'd have done well over here given time, quite the opposite in fact.  Lots of players have struggled over here but done well abroad where you have more time on the ball, it's an entirely different approach to the game.

Fair enough but Makoun and Bradley have more domestic and international pedigree than say this Sylla bloke and some of the other jokers we've had in central midfield over the last 18 months.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »

Bradley played something like 105 minutes for the first team. Those that wrote him off are probably the same ones who wrote off Benteke after the Spurs game calling him a complete donkey, the new Heskey/Balaban etc.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »

Bradley played something like 105 minutes for the first team. Those that wrote him off are probably the same ones who wrote off Benteke after the Spurs game calling him a complete donkey, the new Heskey/Balaban etc.

Agreed, absolutely ludicrous to write off a player in anything less than half a season. It really varies as well, look at Bale at Tottenham. Players develop at different rates.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
In fairness Bradley was toss in that Man. City cup game, fair worse than the performances Makoun gave in that timespan imo.

However he's also done well in Germany and Holland so clearly he's shown he can do it over time in different european leagues.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »

Agreed, absolutely ludicrous to write off a player in anything less than half a season. It really varies as well, look at Bale at Tottenham. Players develop at different rates.

Look at a player like Veron, brilliant at Lazio then the most expensive player in English history at the time when he transferred over here, but couldn't hack it at either Man U or Chelsea.  Some players just don't suit the Premier League.  I'm not saying that Bradley was or wasn't one of them, but his relative success in Italy doesn't prove anything.  In any case, it wasn't the fans who wrote him off, it was the manager who signed him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »
In fairness Bradley was toss in that Man. City cup game, fair worse than the performances Makoun gave in that timespan imo.

However he's also done well in Germany and Holland so clearly he's shown he can do it over time in different european leagues.

Who wasn't toss in that match?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Problem is our managers are under pressure to get result and they can't blood in quality players. Players might work much better in non premier league due to slower pace of game and more technical football and probably play with better footballers in a team game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal