collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert: Weimann & Benteke WILL stay  (Read 10295 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Lambert: Weimann & Benteke WILL stay
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

I'd like to think that they owe the club a debt of gratitude for giving them the platform where they have been able to show their abilities; time will tell.

I don't believe that any side owes the other side anything.  Both were happy to enter into what they believed were mutually acceptable contracts, and if a bigger club comes in with an offer of big money then I'd expect both would be off.  The only logic in football is money these days, shame, but that's the sad truth.

I strongly disagree, particularly with Wiemann. A lot of time, effort and money has gone into his development, for him to clear off after one decent season would be a poor way to repay the club.

He might argue that if his goals help keep us up, he's repaid the club in spades.  But whatever, that's bringing old-fashioned values like morals into football.  They don't exist in today's Premier League I'm afraid, I Spurs or Liverpool come in with a big money offer I expect he'd be tempted, as would Lerner.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
I wonder what Crewe, Genk and Sheffield United fans think of this debate?

Offline eastie

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »

I'd like to think that they owe the club a debt of gratitude for giving them the platform where they have been able to show their abilities; time will tell.

I don't believe that any side owes the other side anything.  Both were happy to enter into what they believed were mutually acceptable contracts, and if a bigger club comes in with an offer of big money then I'd expect both would be off.  The only logic in football is money these days, shame, but that's the sad truth.

I strongly disagree, particularly with Wiemann. A lot of time, effort and money has gone into his development, for him to clear off after one decent season would be a poor way to repay the club.

He might argue that if his goals help keep us up, he's repaid the club in spades.  But whatever, that's bringing old-fashioned values like morals into football.  They don't exist in today's Premier League I'm afraid, I Spurs or Liverpool come in with a big money offer I expect he'd be tempted, as would Lerner.

Seeing the fuss he kicked up to get his move when we made a bid i suspect if one of the top clubs came calling he may try to force the issue- hopefully not.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
I don't think Lambert will get the final say.
No, their agents will.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

It's a fair point. The only one I can speak of with any real knowledge of is Crewe, and my mate accepts that developing and selling young players is the only way a club like them can keep going as a league club. So the difference, I suppose, is that in that situation you have a willing seller whereas we wouldn't be.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

It's a fair point. The only one I can speak of with any real knowledge of is Crewe, and my mate accepts that developing and selling young players is the only way a club like them can keep going as a league club. So the difference, I suppose, is that in that situation you have a willing seller whereas we wouldn't be.

It's also, in reality, the only way we can succeed. The bottom line is that no club in the country could hang onto a player the Manchesters want.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
I don't think we should be overly concerned about losing either. One of the things that I like about the players Lambert buys is that they are  not bigger than the club. Even though it's been a pretty poor season, I like to think that it is a stepping stone onto bigger things. If Benteke or Weimann don't want to be part of that, it's their decision. I like this team because nobody is bigger than the team or club itself.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
i'm going to like the team  a lot less if we get relegated

Offline mr-villa

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Sorry posted in wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:07:32 PM by mr-villa »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal