collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert: Weimann & Benteke WILL stay  (Read 10231 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Lambert: Weimann & Benteke WILL stay
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »
Paul Lambert has defiantly declared that sought-after strike duo Christian Benteke and Andi Weimann will still be Villa players next season.

Benteke and Weimann have become the subjects of intense speculation about their future after hitting 28 goals between them for the claret and blues.

But in his most forthright comments to date about Benteke and Weimann, Lambert insists the in-form forward pair will not be sold in the summer – and he will have the final say.

Lambert claims his stance would be the same even if Villa were relegated, although convincing the strikers to stay in Championship would be remarkable victory for the manager’s powers of persuasion.

Benteke, 22, has burst onto the scene in spectacular fashion in his first season in English football, notching 17, including 13 in the Premier League following the Belgian international’s £7 million move from Genk.

Weimann, 20, has made himself a first team regular, contributing six goals in the league and five in the cups to take his tally to 11 during a camapaign in which the academy graduate has progressed to the full Austria team.

Lambert dropped a strong hint that the claret and blues would reward Weimann by meeting his request for improved terms on a new contract this summer with his current deal expiring at the end of next season.

He also suggested Benteke could be in line for a payrise to reflect his impact and despite having three years left on the agreement he signed last August.

Asked if Weimann and Benteke will remain at the club next season, Lambert replied: “Yes, yes. I think they want to be here. I’ve spoken to the lads as well and they’ve been great with it.

“I certainly hope so. There is no point in coming in for one year and after that the lads go away again. I don’t think that is building for any sort of future.

Asked if he has the final say, Lambert answered: “Oh yes. I’ve got to. Yes.

“Randy Lerner has been great with me. Everyone knows the situation. If players do well, then teams speak about them.

“The thing is they have only done it for seven months. If they do it for seven years, or play 900 games, I might think...

“When I first came in here we sat down and explained what we thought we were going to do. Randy was right behind it and he’s been excellent with us, regarding that side of it.

“I don’t want to go back to square one because they are only guys in their early 20s, who have got so much to give and so much to prove.

“You want to work with them to keep them progressing.”

Questioned about the prospect of boosting Benteke’s contract, Lambert joked: “I might give him a fiver more – being Scottish that is generous!

“I think you do that (give improved contracts) with most lads who are performing well for you. I tend to look at the whole squad and think ‘you’ve done brilliant, we’ll look at that’

“But you just don’t want people to become comfortable. You want them  to always keep that hunger and not the monetary thing to over-rule having success.

“If you have success, then things like that follow, but the big guy has been excellent for me and is a top guy as well.”

Lambert is convinced both Benteke and Weimann will want to repay the faith Villa have shown in them by committing their futures to the club.

“You’d like to think so,” he said. “We’ve given them an opportunity to go and do it.

“We might have bought Christian and it might have taken a year-18 months to settle.

“But he has come in, hit the ground running, and is getting talked about and it’s the same with Andi.

“Up until this year, Andi wasn’t in the side and you give him an opportunity and he has been excellent.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-lambert-insists-christian-benteke-2207244

Offline villan from luton

Re: Lambert: Weimann & Benteke WILL stay
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »
I think if we stay up Weimann will stay, seems to have a great fondness for the club and should be rewarded for his fine performances with a new contract that will be worthy of that.

As for Benteke, I certainly hope he stays. I really think this bloke can be a world beater with more experience and I hope he gains that here. Am concerned his agent is already mouthing off, but hope we can reward him with an improved contract and he stays for another season at least. He seems to have integrated into the team ethos massively and seems a popular bloke from comments made. Lets hope we can keep him

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »
Good.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:36 PM »
I hope so, we need the pair of them.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:39 AM »
Lets hope they do stay, could become an outstanding partnership.

Offline peter w

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »
I think they should open a law practice together.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
If he can keep them both, then I am further convinced that Lambert will do great things with Aston Villa.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:39:05 AM »
I think they should open a law practice together.

With Barry Bannan to make the tea.

Weimann Weeman Benteke, Barristers at Law.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »
I've heard this sort of thing before and it's always lead to woe and despair.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
Bit of a crap article really.  He "defiantly declares" that they'll stay, but when actually asked about it, says "I certainly hope so".  Not that defiant really.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:03:18 AM »
Bit of a crap article really.  He "defiantly declares" that they'll stay, but when actually asked about it, says "I certainly hope so".  Not that defiant really.

Kendricks been a bit of a twat ever since PL blanked him at that press conference.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »
It's the sort of article you'd expect a manager to be involved in (after all, he's hardly going to say the opposite) but it's inevitable that he'll contradict himself - "I'll certainly be assertive / defiant but cannot 100% say that they'll be staying".
Just more fairly meaningless mediatalk.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
I don't think Lambert will get the final say.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »
You can write an article like this then keep it for years to use, copy and paste and just change the names.

Lambert for Mcleish, Houllier, O'Neill, Gregory.
Benteke for Milner, Young, Barry, Yorke.

In fairness to Gregory with his interview he did try to introduce armed conflict into it.... still didn't make any difference though.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Lambert has got to be allowed to build a team. Bent and Weimann with a quality MF supporting them could be prolific. Survival is key to AVFC so small steps for now ......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal