collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stiliyan Petrov - update  (Read 157523 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Stan petrov maybe to join coaching staff?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:49:50 PM »
There's nothing to suggest that he will be a coach or even any good at it. So far we have wanted Delaney, Laursen, and now Petrov to be given coaching jobs. Sorry, but he has to earn it - we're not a charity. And as for retiring his shirt? Again, sorry, but no.
I agree totally.

Offline pelty

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
The very least the club can do for him.
Very good news.

It's not the very least they can do - to give someone what would effectively be a job for as long as he wants it is above and beyond. The very least would be a lot less than they've already done.

Agreed; the club owe him nothing.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
The very least the club can do for him.
Very good news.

It's not the very least they can do - to give someone what would effectively be a job for as long as he wants it is above and beyond. The very least would be a lot less than they've already done.

Agreed; the club owe him nothing.

Like Chris said earlier, just getting him back to full health is first on the agenda.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
I hope he turns out to be a worth while coach.

Odds are he would be very good.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
My kids call me heartless but come on retire his shirt? Get a feckin grip. Coaching job? He is nowhere near my top 10 midfielders I've seen down the Villa so coach them what exactly? We as fans and Aston Villa as a club have done everything right regarding Stan.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
As long as he's healthy enough and he wants the proposed job, I'm all for it.

Stan is a villa man so great to keep him in the club.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
There's nothing to suggest that he will be a coach or even any good at it. So far we have wanted Delaney, Laursen, and now Petrov to be given coaching jobs. Sorry, but he has to earn it - we're not a charity. And as for retiring his shirt? Again, sorry, but no.

Spot on.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »

Delaney is involved with the academy isn't he?

It's not unusual for clubs to give old players a job, Bryan Robson has an ambassdor role at Man. United, Vieria was only at City for 18 months but he's got an admin job with them and Leonardo's popped up at PSG as a sporting director.

As Dave says most important Stan beats the illness and then decides what he wants to do.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
My kids call me heartless but come on retire his shirt? Get a feckin grip. Coaching job? He is nowhere near my top 10 midfielders I've seen down the Villa so coach them what exactly? We as fans and Aston Villa as a club have done everything right regarding Stan.

This attitude (the bold bit) is the main reason that coaching and management standards in English football are shit compared to a lot of other countries.  How good or bad a player you are has very little effect on your abilities as a coach, they're completely different skill sets.  If you have the technique to have played at any professional standard it's more than enough.  Being able to inspire players with stories about how great you were works for some but isn't a requirement in any way.

If he wants to be a coach, gets his badges and is willing to put the work in to make the best of it (which I'm sure he would seeing as workshy is definitely not something you can say about him) then i'm all for giving him a years contract working in the youth setup and go from there.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »

Based on what? So far the only evidence is that he's a nice guy and determined to beat a life-threatening illness,

Offline mr-villa

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Spot on.

This

I presume these players are sensible enough to have purchased long term disability insurance?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

Based on what? So far the only evidence is that he's a nice guy and determined to beat a life-threatening illness,

Because he was very highly thought of in all parts of the club, was known to take an interest in every Villa team, from the kids to the first team, his style of captaincy was to lead by example, and as has been mentioned nobody could say he was workshy.  These qualities seem to me to be the making of a good coach.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »

Because he was very highly thought of in all parts of the club, was known to take an interest in every Villa team, from the kids to the first team, his style of captaincy was to lead by example, and as has been mentioned nobody could say he was workshy.  These qualities seem to me to be the making of a good coach.

You could say that about a lot of players, some of whom became good captains and most of whom didn't.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
As long as he's healthy enough and he wants the proposed job, I'm all for it.

Stan is a villa man so great to keep him in the club.

This for me.
Here's to the time the only thing we need to talk about him is if he is any good in his job for us, in exactly the same way as anybody else on the payroll.     

Offline Mellin

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »
I seem to remember Solskjaer going straight into coaching at United, moving to Molde and winning a league title, leaving many of this forum falling over themselves to declare him our new manager.

Lambert probably sees something in Petrov as a coach, which wouldn't surprise me considering he was captain and similar attributes are needed, so let's reign in the criticism and not cast the move off as charity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal