collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stiliyan Petrov - update  (Read 157529 times)

Offline eastie

Stiliyan Petrov - update
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
By James Nursey | 28/03/13 

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is ready to offer Stiliyan Petrov a coaching role when the stricken star's contract expires this summer.

Football went into shock a year ago when Bulgarian midfielder Petrov, 33, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia.

The popular ace is in remission, but is still undergoing chemotherapy.

Lambert kept Petrov as the Villans' club captain this season but his £55,000-a-week contract runs out in a few months.

MirrorSport understands Petrov has told friends he has no plans to resume his playing career and is effectively retired.

But Lambert knows Petrov well from their spell together at Celtic and said: "I am always in contact with him.

"I was round seeing him in the house recently, for dinner with his wife.

"I don't think many people realise what he has went through and the way he has battled strongly. He is doing great. I am delighted for him - he is a really close friend of mine from when we played up the road at Celtic.

"Hopefully it is not too long before he comes out of this stage. As I have said before he has been a big loss to this club.

"I don't think he could do the stressful job of being a manager. I think he would maybe like to coach younger kids or something.

"He was a great player and could give great advice to everyone.

"Nearer the time I will speak with him, we will have to see how he feels. But the main thing is he recovers fully from a horrible illness."

Villa host Liverpool on Sunday and Lambert has Fabian Delph back from suspension, while Darren Bent, Nathan Baker and Karim El Ahmadi are all fit.

Bent has not played since February 10 as a sub against West Ham after injuring his foot in practice.

Lambert added: "Benty's back training. He had a little flu bug there for the last few days but I think he's OK.

"He trained Wednesday morning, so he's back. He got a kick - one of the lads caught his foot. It was a bit tender to kick the ball but it could have been worse, he's OK now."

Bent is likely to have to settle for a place on the bench against Liverpool on Sunday.

Villa have won their last two games and confidence is high. They are now looking to drag clubs above them into the relegation battle.

Lambert added: "We have been round and about there all season so we are handling the pressure of it and it is not new for them.

"They know what they have to try and do. When you start winning games you pull other teams into it who will feel edgy."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:09:05 AM by eastie »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Stan petrov maybe to join coaching staff?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Great news I would love him to be part of our coaching set up.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
The very least the club can do for him.
Very good news.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »

Very good news.

Yes it would be a nice touch from the club. It sounds like he's doing well though which is the main thing.

Offline eastie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

Very good news.

Yes it would be a nice touch from the club. It sounds like he's doing well though which is the main thing.

Few better role models in the game than stan - a great player and really nice bloke too- he could be an inspiration to our younger players .

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »

Very good news.

Few better role models in the game than stan - a great player and really nice bloke too- he could be an inspiration to our younger players .
Certainly would be an inspiration to the kids.....could prove to be a very clever move by Villa. I would love to see it come to fruition.

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
I hope he thrives in a coaching role for Villa. An inspirational player, nay, an inspirational man.

Are there any rules governing squad numbers that anyone is aware of? Would we be able to retire number 19? I don't imagine anyone would want to step into that shirt after the iconic status it's gained at Villa Park over the last year.

Offline eastie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
I hope he thrives in a coaching role for Villa. An inspirational player, nay, an inspirational man.

Are there any rules governing squad numbers that anyone is aware of? Would we be able to retire number 19? I don't imagine anyone would want to step into that shirt after the iconic status it's gained at Villa Park over the last year.

I think retiring the number 19 shirt is a good idea and see no reason why we couldn't do that .

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
It would be nice to think he still had some sort of role at the club but I think it's a case of one step at a time. Get himself well again and then assess his options and what is best for him and his family.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
Very good news.

It's not the very least they can do - to give someone what would effectively be a job for as long as he wants it is above and beyond. The very least would be a lot less than they've already done.

Online Clampy

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
It would be nice to think he still had some sort of role at the club but I think it's a case of one step at a time. Get himself well again and then assess his options and what is best for him and his family.

Absoutley.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Sounds like they are genuine mates too-another good sign. Clubs should always be prepared to 'look after their own' whatever the circumstances and I am sure like people have said, Stan will have a lot to offer if this is what he wants.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
I hope he turns out to be a worth while coach.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
Man City retired Marc Vivien Foe's number 22 shirt after his sudden death a few years ago so there's certainly nothing to say we couldn't retire Stan's shirt. Whether it's something he would like us to do is another matter.

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
There's nothing to suggest that he will be a coach or even any good at it. So far we have wanted Delaney, Laursen, and now Petrov to be given coaching jobs. Sorry, but he has to earn it - we're not a charity. And as for retiring his shirt? Again, sorry, but no.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal