collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How improved are our youngsters?  (Read 6728 times)

Offline eastie

Re: How improved are our youngsters?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Baker is better at centre half than Clark in my view.
Clark may be a competent defensive midfielder but he isn't a reliable centre half.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
The baker who getting slammed, is he not defender who played in 3 wins in 4 games

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Baker is a good back up defender. First sub for left back and centre half and coming in at left back when the big sides come. Not a first choice, but really useful to have about, and will put everything on the line to get in front of the ball.

Clark I think has improved as the season has progressed, and has looked more assured. He reads the game well, the physical side will come. Defenders don't mature until 26-30, so they are on to be pretty good players in time. We need 1 experienced, top centre half to put by Vlaar for the next couple of seasons and rotate around that at the back. With injuries and form you can carry that.

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Baker is a good back up defender. First sub for left back and centre half and coming in at left back when the big sides come. Not a first choice, but really useful to have about, and will put everything on the line to get in front of the ball.

Clark I think has improved as the season has progressed, and has looked more assured. He reads the game well, the physical side will come. Defenders don't mature until 26-30, so they are on to be pretty good players in time. We need 1 experienced, top centre half to put by Vlaar for the next couple of seasons and rotate around that at the back. With injuries and form you can carry that.
I'd go along with this. There's been times when Clark and Baker have needed a few games out of it but we haven't had the luxury. For me Baker will never be a regular starter for us. He'd be a really solid back up from the bench but I wouldn't want him playing 30+ games.
Clark has potential if he sorts his concentration out. Cut out the errors and he could be really good. Again there were times this season he was getting absolutely murdered and needed a spell out but with Vlaar and Dunne out there was no option.

A decent experienced CH to go alongside Vlaar as first choice would be ideal.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
Clark and Baker deserve another go. People forget but 3 seasons ago they'd probably have made a few substitute appearances under pubehead such was the size of our squad and his mistrust in youth players. It was always going to be messy and inconsistant and all of the youth players are learning in public rather than in the reserves. Too early to judge them or we could be sitting here in three years time watching another Cahill playing for England.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:41:34 PM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

Clark I think has improved as the season has progressed, and has looked more assured. He reads the game well, the physical side will come. Defenders don't mature until 26-30, so they are on to be pretty good players in time.

Sorry Ozzjim but I think that's nonsense.  Clark hasn't improved at all, he's making more errors now than when the season started, and he doesn't seem to learn from them (see the repeat of his Citeh mistake for Ireland).  The years from 26-30 tend to be seen as peak years for all outfield players but I'd have to see a lot more than I've seen from Clark to think he's going to be a good CB by that age.  He's what 22-23 now?  He should be physically mature so unless he gets down the gym that won't change much.  And I can't see any evidence of his alleged ability to read the game well.   If he reads it so well why is he caught out of position so often?

And Baker will never be any cop until he learns to stay on his feet.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »

Clark I think has improved as the season has progressed, and has looked more assured. He reads the game well, the physical side will come. Defenders don't mature until 26-30, so they are on to be pretty good players in time.

Sorry Ozzjim but I think that's nonsense.  Clark hasn't improved at all, he's making more errors now than when the season started, and he doesn't seem to learn from them (see the repeat of his Citeh mistake for Ireland).  The years from 26-30 tend to be seen as peak years for all outfield players but I'd have to see a lot more than I've seen from Clark to think he's going to be a good CB by that age.  He's what 22-23 now?  He should be physically mature so unless he gets down the gym that won't change much.  And I can't see any evidence of his alleged ability to read the game well.   If he reads it so well why is he caught out of position so often?

And Baker will never be any cop until he learns to stay on his feet.

No doubt it has been a bit of a tough year for Clark, but there was a period when he played well and the defence looked sound, and he has played well in the past. Interesting to see whether Lambert makes him first choice next season.

I've been impressed with Bennett in recent games - defending more aggressively and contributing going forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal