collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How improved are our youngsters?  (Read 6732 times)

Offline N'Zimidy

How improved are our youngsters?
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
At the beginning of the season you might have been mistaken to think that our main core of players would have revolved around the experienced players (Given, Dunne, Vlaar, El Ahmadi, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Holman, Bent, Gabby) with our youthful squad filling in the gaps. In reality, our main nucleus of players turned out to be youth players with our experienced players making a cameo now and then, either due to injuries or just not being good enough.

So my question is, have our youth players gotten better from being thrown into the deep end? Are they going to be good enough for the Premier League in the future? How good will they be in the remaining matches / next season? Thoughts on the following:

Clark:
Baker:
Bennett:
Lowton:
Albrighton:
Delph:
Bannan:
Herd:
Bowery:
Benteke:
Weimann:
Westwood:
Guzan:

(Edit: added Westwood and Guzan because I'm dim)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:55:44 PM by N'Zimidy »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: How improved are our youngsters?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
Benteke and Guzan have all been top drawer and Weimann has been good - all three have thrived under the pressure and Villa need to try and keep them. 

The rest have been a mixed bag.  Delph, Baker & Westwood good sometimes and poor at other times like you'd expect from youngsters.  Bennett, Clark and Lowton have really struggled at times and ideally should've been rested loads mire often.  No idea about Bowery.  Has Albrighton even played? 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »
I think Delph has really come along of late.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
To keep it simple, 'Premier League Standard?'

Clark: Yes
Baker: Maybe
Bennett: No
Lowton: Yes
Albrighton: Maybe
Delph: Yes
Bannan: Yes
Herd: Yes
Bowery: Maybe
Benteke: Yes
Weimann: Yes
Westwood: Yes
Guzan: Yes

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
I don't think Clark looks as good now at CB as some of his appearences in 10/11 tbh. I'd be surprised if he's still at centre half in the premier league in a year or two as I expect him to be moved to another position like say Ridgewell. Baker has more of a chance to be a regular premier league cb.

Would move Bannan and Albrighton on in the summer, both sparkled when they first came through but so did Steven Davis and he hasn't really gone on to great things.

Would probably keep Herd, Bennett and Delph as squad players.

I reckon Lowton and Westwood will still be regulars even if hopefully we have a better all round team next year. I think both will be top players for us.

Guzan is still a youngster??!!

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Brad Guzan is 28.

My own opinion is I don't think Clark, Herd, Albrighton or Bennett are nor will be good enough. Bowery is well out of his depth. Bannon is to lightweight.

Westwood, Delph, Baker and Lowton can make it.

Benteke and Weimann can be what ever they want to be in the game.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »

Clark: Yes [been a bit disappointed in him, but has shown he can do it]
Baker: Maybe [agree]
Bennett: No [agree at the moment, but not to be given up on. Should be reserve left back]
Lowton: Yes [agreed, very good first year despite a dip in form defensively]
Albrighton: Maybe [I think he's not got much mileage left]
Delph: Yes [definitely, of late. He had two years out of the game. He's finally getting his zip back. We should remember this when people are writing off Gardner in November]
Bannan: Yes [not sure he is consistent enough]
Herd: Yes [absolutely, 100% not]
Bowery: Maybe [God knows]
Benteke: Yes [And then some]
Weimann: Yes [100%]
Westwood: Yes [Excellent signing]
Guzan: Yes [Excellent re-signing]

My take in brackets above

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

Clark: Yes [been a bit disappointed in him, but has shown he can do it]
Baker: Maybe [agree]
Bennett: No [agree at the moment, but not to be given up on. Should be reserve left back]
Lowton: Yes [agreed, very good first year despite a dip in form defensively]
Albrighton: Maybe [I think he's not got much mileage left]
Delph: Yes [definitely, of late. He had two years out of the game. He's finally getting his zip back. We should remember this when people are writing off Gardner in November]
Bannan: Yes [not sure he is consistent enough]
Herd: Yes [absolutely, 100% not]
Bowery: Maybe [God knows]
Benteke: Yes [And then some]
Weimann: Yes [100%]
Westwood: Yes [Excellent signing]
Guzan: Yes [Excellent re-signing]

My take in brackets above

about the same for me (as the bracketed answers).

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
My take -

Clark: Rough year and been more involved than he should. Shown better signs of late and will come good with experience and a better midfield in front of him and a more experienced defence around him (i.e. looks better with Vlaar next to him). 
Baker: A better natural defender than Clark but still learning and needs to be better on the ball.
Bennett: Still very raw and shouldn't have been a first choice left back this year. Looks good going forward and could become good in time.
Lowton: Generally been very good.
Albrighton: Don't think he will be around very long.
Delph: Has been showing signs of becoming the player we thought we were getting lately. Needs to continue from there and not drop off.
Bannan: Midfield needs strengthening and BB could well be a victim of that. 
Herd: Squad player at best. Probably won't hang around long.
Bowery: Added nothing in a side that's really struggled, can't see him adding anything to an improving side. Can be sold.
Benteke: Got to hang onto him
Weimann: Ditto
Westwood: Very good on the ball. Needs the right player alongside him and to start adding a few goals to his game. Our midfield contributes nothing to our goals tally.
Guzan: Without him and Benteke we would be relegation fodder.

Offline KRS

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
The good news is that the majority of them will have a season of experience playing in the Premier League and that can only improve them as players. They have had a baptism of fire at the wrong end of the table so they will have also learnt a few lessons that will stand them in good stead as they continue their improvement as a squad of players. If we stay up, then the important thing is to keep them together and add a select few experienced players to strengthen the team...however I have a feeling that PL will continue his philosophy of adding more younsters if the financial restraints are still in place in the summer and that would be like playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun next season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
The good news is that the majority of them will have a season of experience playing in the Premier League and that can only improve them as players. They have had a baptism of fire at the wrong end of the table so they will have also learnt a few lessons that will stand them in good stead as they continue their improvement as a squad of players. If we stay up, then the important thing is to keep them together and add a select few experienced players to strengthen the team...however I have a feeling that PL will continue his philosophy of adding more younsters if the financial restraints are still in place in the summer and that would be like playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun next season.

A lot of the youngsters like Herd, Baker and Lichaj were pretty much playing every week in the final 10 games of TSM's season so they were having a relegation fight back then.

If you're not good enough at this level, you're not suddenly going to magically improve over the summer.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
Clark - Genuinely surprised people think he's PL standard.  He lacks pace,  strength, positioning and decision making, but apart from that I suppose he's okay.  I think he's bloody awful.
Baker: Bull in a china shop, dives in, just about ok as a squad player.
Bennett: Looks hopelessly out of his depth as a defender, but might make an attacking left sided midfielder.
Lowton: Genuinely can't see why people rate him - lacks the pace to ever be a good full back and does't get forward well enough to play in a system where the FBs provide the only width.
Albrighton: Always suspected he was a one trick pony (decent cross on him) and doesn't seem to have much else to his game.
Delph: I always though he had ability and was given a hard time unfairly.  Starting to show his ability more consistently.
Bannan: Has ability and I like the fact he tries to make things happen in the final third, but seems to move around the pitch like he's running through deep water.  Lacks the burst of pace and dynamism top midfielders need.  Not considered good enough for an incredibly mediocre Scotland team. 
Herd: Useful squad player, not sure what his best position is.  Lambert doesn't seem keen on him though.
Bowery: Not seen enough to judge.
Benteke: No-brainer, obvious star, will be with a CL team eventually.
Weimann: Always thought he was the one who had something - excellent intelligent movement is his big asset and he's another star in the making.
Westwood: I think he's okay, nothing more.   
Guzan: Hardly a youngster but clearly has what it takes for the PL.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »

A lot of the youngsters like Herd, Baker and Lichaj were pretty much playing every week in the final 10 games of TSM's season so they were having a relegation fight back then.

If you're not good enough at this level, you're not suddenly going to magically improve over the summer.

Others have been featuring pretty regularly for the best part of three seasons and haven't shown any noticeable improvement. 

Offline KRS

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »

Others have been featuring pretty regularly for the best part of three seasons and haven't shown any noticeable improvement. 
Theres a big difference between playing a few games during a season or playing the last few games of a season compared to being given the responsibility as 1st team regular...not only does it give them much needed experience but it should also change their mindset and increase their confidence every time they step out on the pitch. You cant expect a player to perform to the best of his ability if he's low on confidence or doesnt feel part of the team, so I would expect to see continuous improvements for most of these players next season. If they dont then I'm afraid it will be a case of they just arent good enough.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:57 AM »

Theres a big difference between playing a few games during a season or playing the last few games of a season compared to being given the responsibility as 1st team regular...not only does it give them much needed experience but it should also change their mindset and increase their confidence every time they step out on the pitch. You cant expect a player to perform to the best of his ability if he's low on confidence or doesnt feel part of the team, so I would expect to see continuous improvements for most of these players next season. If they dont then I'm afraid it will be a case of they just arent good enough.

Point taken, but if they haven't been good enough to command a regular place over the past two seasons then that in itself says something about them.  I personally think that they've all pretty much had their chance this season and that if we are going to move forward next season, some of them need to be replaced with better players. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal