collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dan Crowley  (Read 48492 times)

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Dan Crowley
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:06 AM »
I find it difficult to take this title "new Jack Wilshere" seriously. Sorry but Wilshere has doe nothing and achieved f all to be considered as some sort of  idol!

You obviously didn't see him play for England against Brazil, or you'd know better.

One game and a friendly at that? I agree with the original post. Yes, he may be all that but as yet he has not done or achieved enough to have such hype attached to him. Do you think if he played for Villa the hype would be anywhere near as great as it has been?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »
Wilshire is the best thing since Jermaine Jenas

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
I'm another one in the 'how has he got the rep' club regarding Wilshere.  I see a decent technical player, with decent workrate but not much more.  For example I don't think there's much difference between him and Ashley Westwood, they do a similar job with a similar level of success, 1 is touted as the key to England's future the other is completely ignored by the press.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
I like Westwood a lot, but Wilshire has mixed it with Europes best and hasn't looked out of place, and has suffered a couple of serious injuries.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
I find it difficult to take this title "new Jack Wilshere" seriously. Sorry but Wilshere has doe nothing and achieved f all to be considered as some sort of  idol!

You obviously didn't see him play for England against Brazil, or you'd know better.

One game and a friendly at that? I agree with the original post. Yes, he may be all that but as yet he has not done or achieved enough to have such hype attached to him. Do you think if he played for Villa the hype would be anywhere near as great as it has been?

Wilshere is a promising player, but the hype around him is immense.

I vaguely remember Arsenal playing Barcelona in the Champions League, and Barcelona murdering them. At half time, the pundits spent most of the time talking about how Wilshere would have a genuine chance of getting into the Barcelona side, which was the most pointless, detached from reality, nonsensical piece of punditry I've ever heard.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »

Wilshere is a promising player, but the hype around him is immense.

I vaguely remember Arsenal playing Barcelona in the Champions League, and Barcelona murdering them. At half time, the pundits spent most of the time talking about how Wilshere would have a genuine chance of getting into the Barcelona side, which was the most pointless, detached from reality, nonsensical piece of punditry I've ever heard.

There are better players than Wiltshire in the Barcelona squad who have little chance of getting in the Barcelona side.  That's not saying that Wiltshire is rubbish, it's just pointing out that he's not good enough for their squad let alone the side.  Fabregas his predecessor isn't exactly the darling of Camp Neu can't command a starting place and he's at least twice as good as Wiltshire. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
They hype around Wiltshire is more an indictment about that state of our game and the level of technical ability of the youngsters we’re producing.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »
They hype around Wiltshire is more an indictment about that state of our game and the level of technical ability of the youngsters we’re producing.

Their tourist board must be doing a good job!!

Offline paul_e

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
I like Westwood a lot, but Wilshire has mixed it with Europes best and hasn't looked out of place, and has suffered a couple of serious injuries.

As part of a team playing in a way that suits him though.  I genuinely believe he'd be considered average at any other side in the premier league, but because Wenger rates him the press and England camp are falling over themselves to talk him up in case he turns out great.  He's nothing like the talent that Fabregas was when he came through at Arsenal, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has the potential to be a very good player, but to go on like he's one of the best players in the premier league as some have in the last year is ridiculous, he's 2-3 years away from being a player capable of dictating games.

I agree with Ads that it paints a sorry picture of the level of technical skill expected from youngster when one of slightly above average quality comes through and is hyped to this level.

The unusual thing about Wilshere is that he's been allowed to come through a premier league academy without having the physical attributes that most clubs focus on in those age groups.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »
Wilshere is like Dunne though.  During his injury, he somehow got "better and better" as a player, i think people see him through Danny Rose tinted glasses

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Wilshire is a great footballer with a high level of technical skill, would be a good player in any side in the world IMO

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
He was a class apart of any of the players during our recent game at Arsenal.

Daft comparing him with Westwood, Wilshere has the potential to be the best midfielder England have produced since Scholes.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

Daft comparing him with Westwood, Wilshere has the potential to be the best midfielder England have produced since Scholes.

The key word is potential.  His current performances are not those of the best midfielder england have produced since Scholes, they're pretty much average for any continuity midfielder in the league, hence the westwood comparison.  I'm not saying he won't turn into a far better player, just that his current performances are nothing like enough to justify people comparing him with scholes, for example.  Maybe a comment that he's doing a similar job as scholes did at that age and doing it well so he might become the same kind of player, but nothing more.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
I want to know when we are going to sign the next Carlton Palmer. 

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

Paul Scholes, was never a midfielder in the Wilshire role though. Scholes was a deep lying, forward thinking footballer, who got better, and better and better with age and experience. Wilshire is more of a proper midfielder, which England tried to unimaginatively use Scholes as.

He is a talented boy, but not as good as the hype. He might be a bit too much of a complete player which sounds strange, but his doesn't have a niche. Platt and Lampard scored goals. Gerrard overhits passes and finds divine inspiration from time to time. Ince would battle. Barry would allow Germans with no pace run past him like Usian Bolt taking on Johny Vegas. I am not sure what Wilshire is best at yet. Knitting it all together maybe, but I would like to see him in a side like Barcelona. It would do him a lot of good to go somewhere like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal