collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dr Butler
[Today at 12:27:11 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:23:50 PM]

Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 12:16:20 PM]

NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 12:15:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:10:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:09:08 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:01:43 PM]

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Stays and Who goes  (Read 30421 times)

Offline Loxton01

Who Stays and Who goes
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
Ok so slightly hypothetical at the moment but should we get the required points to stay up I think we have laid massive foundations to kick on next season if we then speculate to accumulate.

Randy has cut the cloth and cant keep cutting it as if we get out of this season and dont improve it wont keep happening!!!

So you come to a real review of the squad who would stay for you and who would go. Where do we need to improve which players have had their chance and need to go.

Here are my thoughts

GK

Guzan has been superb this season. Given I would let go high wage earner and deserves to be allowed to play. We need to get a young hungry GK in who could push Guzan. Shame we didnt get Butland for me.

Defence

Dunne will not play this season and he needs to go as he is never fit. Baker, Vlaar and Clark will be better for a season but need to improve. For me a player like Lescott could really improve the defense. At left back Joe Bennett does not convinvce me defensively. He is good going forward but not defensively. I would get a new left back in. Id keep Lichaj but let Stevens go. For me we have to move forward  and be cruel to be kind with some players and I dont want a big squad with players never getting a kick.

Midfield

Our real weakness is the middle of the park. Westwood and Delph have done ok in there but in the formation we play the real superstar we need to buy is the player at the head of the diamond. NZog or bannan are not good enough for that role. Who that player is I dont no but its the one we need. Id keep Delph, Westwood and Sylla to fight it out and maybe bring one more in. Bannan Albrighton Holman and def Ireland can all go. They are not good enough for Aston Villa Football Club if we want to move on. The former three will do a good job in the lower leagues and I wish them good luck the later can just crawl up and rot for me. He is a disgrace. Hopefully Gardner will also return as he looked a good prospect before the injury.

Forwards

Benteke staying is huge we need to convince him of the aspirations we have. Weimann is a must and gabby is doing a decent job whilst NZog for me could play one of the roles. Bent, Bowery and the Fonz can go for me to raise funds for a new top 6 premiership class winger/striker. They are out there we need to show we want them and spend the money.

I have listed Given Free [40k], Dunne Free [40K] Stevens 1m [10k], Bannan 2.5m [15k], Albrighton 2.5m [15k], Holman 1.5m [20K], Ireland 2m [50K], The Fonz 2m [10K], Bent 10m [50K] and Bowery 1m [10K] which for me could raise circa 20-25million and would save 280K a week in wages.

I have suggested we need a new support GK 2m [15K], LB 4m [35K], new CH 6m [50K], two new midfielders 5 and 10m [35K [60K] and a striker 7.5m-10m [60K]. Thats 5 players which if RL threw in 20 million along with the 20 million above would give us 40m and achievable wages which are less than paid on players before.

This would give us a squad of circa 22-24 players with the likes of Johnson Gardner, Burke potentially all to be given a chance.

We have a number of players who are top half of championship bottom half of premiership at the club and for the likes of Bannan, Albrighton, Holman, the Fonz they have had their chance and they will not improve us we cannot keep persisting with them. With the purchase of the six players above with better quality and class we could be top ten next year and kick on from that.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Who Stays and Who goes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
I'd let go Given, Ireland and Delfouneso. I'd happliy keep the rest. If Dunne can get himself fit, i'd offer him another year.

Offline eastie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
I'd be prepared to listen to offers for given, Ireland, Fonz, bannan, dunne, bent , kea,Holman, lichaj , albrighton but i doubt we would get takers for all - the only big money would come for bent but if say we got £12m for him plus the savings on his wage, given, Ireland and dunnes wages too it would give the manager scope to bring in 3 or 4 players who could really strengthen defence and midfield.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
Add Makoun to the list and dont forget we still have Hutton on the books. Probably let KEA go too.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Add Makoun to the list and dont forget we still have Hutton on the books. Probably let KEA go too. Yep he

I forgot about Hutton. Yep, he can go as well. I'd like to keep Makoun though. He might settle in better now there's a couple of French speaking players in the club. There's a good player in there somewhere as well.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
Let's not discuss this today. Plenty of time for it after the season is over.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
Keep:
Guzan, Lowton, Lichaj, Bennett, Clark, Vlaar, Baker, Westwood, Delph, Gardner, El Ahmadi, Bannan, Albrighton, Sylla, Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann

Sell:
Given, Stevens, Hutton, Dunne, Makoun, Ireland, N'Zogbia (I know he's done well in the last few weeks but hasn't convinced me yet, Holman, Bent, Delfoneuso, Bowery

Buy:
Backup GK, LB, CB, DCM, Winger, Backup CF

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything written in the original post.  My concern is that Lambert will stick with a lot of the current players if we stay up.  That would be a mistake for me, as some of them just aren't at the required level to take the club forward.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
Get rid of Given, Hutton, Dunne, Lichaj, Ireland, Albrighton, bent, Delf
and Petrov retires to move upstairs
Use the wages to sign some experience

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
I think now I'd get rid of Given, Ireland, Dunne, Bent(as Lambert doesn't want him), Albrighton, Hutton, Lichaj and Delfouneso. Same as Richard's choices actually.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
This morning I did this very same thing.

I had Bent, Ireland, Herd, Dunne and Given all leaving with a saving of £14 million.

I earmarked an attacking right sided player, a box to box player to compete with Delph and a bruiser in the middle to compete with Sylla (KEA and Westwood being the continuity player).

A new centre half and a new left back (Bennett’s future is on the left side of midfield), with a reserve goalkeeper.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
We need another right back as well, Lowton needs competetion and Lichaj isn't up to it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
How exactly do people suggest we go about getting rid of Given? And Ireland for that matter.

Why would they choose to leave?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Oh fuck I'd forgotten about Delfouneso....get rid asap, 6 goals in 33 at Blackpool. he's not good enough

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
How exactly do people suggest we go about getting rid of Given? And Ireland for that matter.

Why would they choose to leave?

Given chose to leave man city and took a drop in wages to do so, he may want the chance of 1st team football , Ireland would probably be happy to sit and take the money .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal