collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:43:21 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by London Villan
[Today at 06:35:55 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our strikers in 2013  (Read 2250 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Our strikers in 2013
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Since the new year our front 3 have the following:

Gabby 4 in 9
Weimann 3 in 9
Benteke 9 in 11

If we can get the rest of the team offering the odd goal and stop conceding so many these 3 can lead us to much higher in the league.

I know there's lots of posts around about each of them but i thought this was better on it's own to point out how effective they are as a trio.

Offline supertom

Re: Our strikers in 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
Yeah it looks much better. Weimann has 11 goals in all in his first full season. That's a brilliant return given his age and the fact he's played wide a lot too.
Gabby works very hard and gets important goals. Given he's played wide this season, 8 goals in all comps is pretty decent.
Benteke. Nuff said.
We might even see Bent pop up with a few goals before the seasons out too. Who knows. I doubt it. There seems a genuine problem with his fitness at the moment. It's injury after injury. Sunderland probably sold him at the right time to be honest.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
There are going to be games where we don't score 2 or more that until we sort out our defence we will rarely ever win. You give this set of forwards a decent defence, in front of what is already a top keeper, we will win a good number of games. Keep this lot together next year, and I include Zog in the conversation with a solid CB, LB and quality CM we'll do really well.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
There are going to be games where we don't score 2 or more that until we sort out our defence we will rarely ever win. You give this set of forwards a decent defence, in front of what is already a top keeper, we will win a good number of games. Keep this lot together next year, and I include Zog in the conversation with a solid CB, LB and quality CM we'll do really well.
Yes. Looking at the league and there's very little between a lot of the sides in terms of quality. Only the real big spenders seem to stand above the rest. Even Arsenal are a long way from the force they once were. A couple more of their better players lost and not adequately replaced and they wouldn't be uncatchable next season if we made the right signings.

But certainly, sort the defence out. Playing staff and coaching staff. Keep a hold of Benteke and perhaps an experienced head in midfield and we could be a top half side again. Once you get to that level there's a real fine line between sides. We could finish 12th next season, could finish 6th. The league really is closing up now. Even Utd, despite running away with the title don't look pant wettingly fantastic by any stretch.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
Since the new year our front 3 have the following:

Gabby 4 in 9
Weimann 3 in 9
Benteke 9 in 11

If we can get the rest of the team offering the odd goal and stop conceding so many these 3 can lead us to much higher in the league.

I know there's lots of posts around about each of them but i thought this was better on it's own to point out how effective they are as a trio.

Absolutely. I loved Match Of The Day highlighting that Benteke has scored more than Van Perise and Rooney in 2013. Maybe Lambo is right to omit Bent, incredible though that seemed.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
I think it's a good return, and with N'Zogbia we now have real goal threat.

We do sorely lack a threat from elsewhere in the side though. How many goals do Westwood, Delph, KEA, Bannan have from central midfield? One in the league? And league goals from our defenders - I think it's just Clark and Lowton. I really though Vlaar would get a few. Obviously that's partly down to poor set piece delivery.

In the future, Gardner could theoretically provide both midfield protection and a scoring threat, which would be nice. But he's missed two crucial years of his development years and to be honest I haven't been hugely convinced so far. I think he's got work to do to translate his youth team form into the premier league. But he's better than Craig was at that age.

Offline peter w

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
next season, if we stay up, you'd guess we'll have shed Bent, Ireland, Dunne, Given and Petrovis unlikely to be seen again so we'll have his wages too. Sell one or two of the current not good enough players and spend on the defence and an attacking midfielder. The front 3 have the ability - you can add a resurgent N'Zog also.

Offline supertom

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
I think it's a good return, and with N'Zogbia we now have real goal threat.

We do sorely lack a threat from elsewhere in the side though. How many goals do Westwood, Delph, KEA, Bannan have from central midfield? One in the league? And league goals from our defenders - I think it's just Clark and Lowton. I really though Vlaar would get a few. Obviously that's partly down to poor set piece delivery.

In the future, Gardner could theoretically provide both midfield protection and a scoring threat, which would be nice. But he's missed two crucial years of his development years and to be honest I haven't been hugely convinced so far. I think he's got work to do to translate his youth team form into the premier league. But he's better than Craig was at that age.
I would hope N'Zog can provide a few goals from midfield. He needs to score more for sure and has the capability.
Delph had a reputation at Leeds for getting goals from mid, some quite spectacular ones. I had hoped when he joined that he'd spank the odd 20 yarder in. So with our midfield looking better and Sylla potentially providing a base, perhaps Delph can be more adventurous.
I see Westy as our Carrick. He does a great job. Unspectacular but keeps us ticking and rarely wastes the ball. He'll not get the plaudits, or many goals.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
What Zog offers is something different whether he is starting or just coming off the bench. I actually think he's beginning to realise that himself. He helped create the winning goal and got involved in other situations during the game as well as chasing back. It will be interesting to see what role Albrighton still has when he comes back and whether can offer something similar.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal