collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player of the Season  (Read 12163 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: Player of the Season
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »
I'd be shocked if Benteke didn't win PFA Young Player of the Year

On goals he's great, which is what a strikers all about.

However, some of his general play is poor. Suggestions of him going to Chelsea etc. are somewhat misfounded. He's still clearly learning, which is good and I hope we keep him and he goes on to become a very good player, which at the moment I don't think he is.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
I was going to vote Benteke for the obvious reasons, then saw Guzan's name and thought I'd give him some support.  I was pleasantly suprised that he was leading.  Well done H+V for seeing past the obvious.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Stephen Ireland again for me.

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
Benteke for me

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
Ireland's contributions have indeed been pivotal to our recent upturn in form

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Benteke. He's been brilliant. It's not just the goals, but more so it's been the amount of times he's got goals out of nothing when otherwise the rest of the team were struggling to create chances. We've lacked a player who can do that for a while now. Carew on his day could make something happen from nothing, but Benteke more so, and it helps that he, unlike big John, plays every game. He's definitely a bright spark in a mostly very ordinary side. Reminds me of Merson under the Gregory days. We were quite workmanlike. Didn't score many, but Merson had the ability to do something extraordinary to either score or make a goal, and also entertain the crowd.

Such a difference picking a poty this year compared to the last two seasons though. Ireland won it last year despite being very average. Downing the year before, who was nothing more than a 7/10. Bent would have pushed him close for half a seasons work, but in truth, all you get from Bent is goals.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
Guzan

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
Voted for Benteke but it pains me not to vote for Guzan - he's been fantastic in almost every game I can remember.  Can't they have a joint award?

Online Clampy

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
Ireland's contributions have indeed been pivotal to our recent upturn in form

I was going to mention this. Have you noticed how much better we've been since he's been dropped?

Anyway bearing in mind his age and that it's his first season in the Prem, Benteke has been superb but i'll give it Guzan.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
I think Benteke is going to be a great striker (hopefully with Villa) and he's had an excellent first season but you can see he's still learning. Yesterday he was one of our poorest performers despite getting the winner.

I think Weimann is definitely the fans' favourite, gives everything, come through the ranks and is going to be a top player too. I think he could easily play for the likes of United but he's flying somewhat under the national media radar.

My vote has to go for Guzan, he's been top class all season. Yesterday's save was one of the finest I've seen in a long time. Add to that he's a fighter in an often soft team and where he was in the summer and he's the clear choice for me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
Little bit unfair on Benteke to post this the day after a game in which Guzan had such a brilliant game.  Guzan's been excellent for a lot of the season but I think it should be Benteke.  Without him we'd be relegated already.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Benteke. He's been brilliant. It's not just the goals, but more so it's been the amount of times he's got goals out of nothing when otherwise the rest of the team were struggling to create chances. We've lacked a player who can do that for a while now. Carew on his day could make something happen from nothing, but Benteke more so, and it helps that he, unlike big John, plays every game. He's definitely a bright spark in a mostly very ordinary side. Reminds me of Merson under the Gregory days. We were quite workmanlike. Didn't score many, but Merson had the ability to do something extraordinary to either score or make a goal, and also entertain the crowd.

Such a difference picking a poty this year compared to the last two seasons though. Ireland won it last year despite being very average. Downing the year before, who was nothing more than a 7/10. Bent would have pushed him close for half a seasons work, but in truth, all you get from Bent is goals.

'All you get from Bent is goals'. Pretty daft comment isnt it?  Especially as he is a striker!

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Think I'll have to reserve judgement til the end of the season.
Guzan probably wouldn't have crossed my mind were it not for yesterday, maybe took him for granted as I tend to with keepers.
Benteke popped up with the winner.
Weimann ran himself into the ground again.
If Westwood lays a few goals on, starts splitting some defences between now and May, I'm sure he'll be in people's thinking.
Symptomatic of a rather peculiar season!

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
I'm sorry - how anyone can overlook the 'massive' contribution of the £60k a week incumbent is beyond me.

If Stephen Ireland had not sacrificed himself to allow others to play we would be nowhere now.  Can no-one see how hard it must be to pick up your wages for doing nothing each week?  I might suggest that Villa fans also spare a thought for Shay Given - Richard Dunne - and Darren Bent - the poor lambs.

How anyone can overlook Stephen's sacrifice is .... well, fickle.

Offline Rico

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
Guzan for me. Best keeper we've had since Bosnich. Could go on to be as good as Rimmer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal