collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 26 passes  (Read 16729 times)

Online nigel

Re: 26 passes
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
Could we have done this at home though?

I reckon after 6 or 7 passes had gone forward and backward, at Villa Park, the players would've been given an earful by many fans shouting at the top of their voices.

I don't think that'd be the case at all. Strikes me as a dim view of our fans, self loathing almost.

I don't think he's far off with that assessment.
There are a few by where I sit: 'Get it forward', 'Don't pass sideways', and the like.
I spend half the game explaining to my lad that a sideways/ backwards pass to your own player is better than a 50-50 forward pass.
I do think that if the end result was a decent attempt at goal it wouldn't be such an issue, sometimes it's as if they're frightened to have a pop at goal, so they pass it on.
We're not Barca, Real or either of the Manchester clubs, but we're trying and will certainly improve

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
If the problems with the defence are allowed to run on through next season, then it won't really matter how we play, we're going to go on giving away stupid goals, and get nowhere.

He has to fix that, it goes without saying.

I agree, but retaining possession is one way of taking the pressure of the defence.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
If the problems with the defence are allowed to run on through next season, then it won't really matter how we play, we're going to go on giving away stupid goals, and get nowhere.

I agree, but retaining possession is one way of taking the pressure of the defence.

True, but i think our defensive problems go way beyond them having too much pressure on them. Any time a ball comes into the box, for example, we seem all over the place.

There's a lot of work to do there.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Sticking to a philosophy or set of beliefs is a trait of the very best managers. However, an unwillingness to learn from mistakes or be flexible in a strategy is the failing of all of them. Lambert has shown that things in some areas are steadily coming together. What he needs to do is now hire a defensive coach, and expert in that field and instruct him to make right whatever is wrong. Be it confidence, maturity or simply talent. The kids like Baker, Clark, Lowton, Bennett are all good players looking to make their name in the game. But they need to be allowed to develop and while this season has been painful it can be used as an effective teaching tool if they are given time to digest what has happened and where they can improve. Bring in some solid players to play in front of them, especially CB and LB and those players will be allowed to develop at a better pace. Add some depth in the middle and build around the battering ram up front. Things will get better quickly.

This year has been torture at times and even the most ardent supporter or pragmatist has waivered. I certainly include myself in that. It was good to see that even in defeat in recent weeks, and the victory this weekend, the green shoots of progress can be identified.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

True, but i think our defensive problems go way beyond them having too much pressure on them. Any time a ball comes into the box, for example, we seem all over the place.

Oh I agree, but it gives them time to organise and regain their shape if the ball is retained for a while. The best defenders in the world are discomforted by the ball being given away unnecessarily on the half way line. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

I reckon after 6 or 7 passes had gone forward and backward, at Villa Park, the players would've been given an earful by many fans shouting at the top of their voices.

I don't think that'd be the case at all. Strikes me as a dim view of our fans, self loathing almost.

I don't think he's far off with that assessment.
There are a few by where I sit: 'Get it forward', 'Don't pass sideways', and the like.
I spend half the game explaining to my lad that a sideways/ backwards pass to your own player is better than a 50-50 forward pass.
I do think that if the end result was a decent attempt at goal it wouldn't be such an issue, sometimes it's as if they're frightened to have a pop at goal, so they pass it on.
We're not Barca, Real or either of the Manchester clubs, but we're trying and will certainly improve

The ones around me are unreal. Especially the two right behind. Generally speaking Lambert, the players and the ref are all s**t from the first whistle. Don't dive in/get stuck in, don't just stand there. Don't shoot from there you tw*t/f**kin have a shot you tw*t. I may or may not agree wth your opinion but don't change it every minute.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
individually the defenders are all reasonable, i know theres plenty of posters who will disagree with that, but for me there is some good football in Clark, Baker, Bennett, Lowton and Vlaar but as a collective it isnt working

its easy to just say its inexperience and with time it will come good,
 i'm not so sure, theres not much difference in the centre back pairing whether Vlaar plays or not, and the defence at times on saturday were shocking,
i really dont know if its inexperience, coaching, Age, Ballance, or just simply that they are not good enough,t i think they are, just not when they all play together i think it might just be a simple case of the wrong blend

its my view that if you put Clark or Baker in the Man Utd team or Chelsea team next to a Terry or Ferdinand/Vidic they would be raving about them, they are as individualls good players with plenty of promise, but the blend just isnt working at the moment with are back four, and i dont think its just down to age, there is something else missing, something needs to gell, and i dont know what it could be.
 but we do need something new, whether its a new defensive coach or a couple of new players, who can fit in a bit better, not neccasarily better players just ones who adapt to the formation we are playing and look more solid

to be honest i dont know what to do,
 i know the answer is always spend spend , but the addition of Upson, Davis, Dann may have helped, but maybe it woudnt, because individually they are not as good a players as what we have already IMO, but never the less we need to find a blend that works, because its not happening at the moment

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »

Whilst not the majority, there are a fair few fans who I take a dim view of because they will criticise the team for not getting anywhere after a few passes. Try Upper Holte, K7 on Saturday and you'll hear it.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

Whilst not the majority, there are a fair few fans who I take a dim view of because they will criticise the team for not getting anywhere after a few passes. Try Upper Holte, K7 on Saturday and you'll hear it.

It's not unusual, you often see and hear it criticised as "tippy-tappy football". The players need to learn to be brave and to continue to try to play that way, fans will soon come round if it starts to yield results.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »

Sadly it happens on a fairly regular basis. Bradford semi was a perfect example. We were 1 up and keeping possession and you heard the moans and groans as we were passing it back around the halfway line.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »

Yeah i agree, we keep the ball at times for good periods which is fine but the minute we lose it the opposition end up with a chance.

I cant quite put my finger on what is going wrong when and why, but surely any team whoever they are and whoever they have in defence cannot change the back 5 totally and not expect a lot of problems before progression.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Sadly it happens on a fairly regular basis. Bradford semi was a perfect example. We were 1 up and keeping possession and you heard the moans and groans as we were passing it back around the halfway line.

Can we not fucking knock it?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »

Exactly, which is why i was so bloody annoyed when he took Bannan off when he did'nt really need to on Saturday.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
 IF we stop up, and if as previously suggested its not the fees but the wages we are struggling with, then get rid of Bent, Given, Dunne, Ireland in the summer, Circa £1m a month in wages, and buy a good foward to play alongside Benteke and Weimann, a good midfielder, and a good CH, and we won't be far off a top 8 finish.

Bosmans would do me,probably would'nt look at players over here as they would be too expensive.

I've said on previous occasions that we are not far off.Guzan is a steady goalie, Baker in 2 or 3 years will be very good, as will Bennett, Westwood will be fine alongside a big guy, Sylla looks fine, Weimann will be a good player, and Benteke is already top quality.A good base to start with.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
It is a bit of a conundrum. Away from home, there's something deeply satisfying about seeing us keep possession for possession's sake, the longer the better, annoying the home support, drawing the opposition out before delivering a rapier-like clinical thrust. But the crux of the matter is that there is an imperative upon the home side to entertain their own fans, if you want them to turn up again. Keep possession, yes, but perhaps further up the pitch; try to force an opportunity for the forward pass rather than waiting for one to simply present itself

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal