collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 26 passes  (Read 16724 times)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
Re: 26 passes
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
I don't think there will 30 to 40 million to spend in the summer IV. Providing we stay up I think it will be 20 million again unless we sell Benteke for a vast sum and he is given that as well.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »
I have stuck with Lambert all season and have said he should keep his job whatever happens. I have based this support on the following points:

1. Paul Lambert is an ambitious young manager with a fresh philosophy on the game. Do we want another dinosaur for the sake of a couple of years of mid-table mediocrity followed by ending up in deep crap again? That's what would happen under a Big Sam/Curbishly or whoever else of that ilk.

2. Last season, the life was sucked out of the club by a dour, negative and old-fashioned manager. We played some of the worst stuff I have seen from a villa side. If we're honest, we didn't look like Aston Villa, more like a Bolton or a Wimbledon trying to defend and nick a few 1-0 wins. This season has been tough but there had been a big improvement. OK, so we are six points worse off now than same stage last season but we look like scoring goals and winning games, something that looked (and actually was!) beyond us from early March. We had a dreadful spell in December and January, dreadful. However, we as fans need to look beyond it and see it as 'character building' for that young team. They got through it, will remember it and will have learned some hard lessons.

3. One thing that has been consistent this season: the players have played for the manager. They didn't play for Houllier, they didn't (couldn't?) play for TSM. They have stuck with Lambert and most importantly, they have stuck with each other. That tells me the manager has been doing something right.  When was the last time we looked like a team? Sometime in the spring of 2010? I'm not sure, I think we probably stopped looking like a team after the Carling Cup final?

4. Stability. We need stability. After so much change since August 2010 we simply cannot go through that process again. We have got to give this manager at least another six months. If we are really struggling at Christmas 2013 (whatever division) then I'd get rid but he has to be given time to build. If there are more Bentekes out there I want them coming to villa and this manager. By now Lambert knows who to keep, who to buy and who to sell. A new man would have to start again. I genuinely think that a change of manager again could be the thing that would relegate us next year.

5. I am disillusioned, don't get me wrong, but I (quite openly) have been directing this at the custodians of the club. I feel Lambert probably was working under the same kind of restrictions that led to us having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a manager the previous summer. I think the decision making and leadership at Aston Villa since 2010 has been appalling and will take a few years to recover. However, and this is important, I feel those of us who have been disillusioned should be willing to wait and see what happens in the summer. If Randy and co stick with Lambert, see that the club is united again and try to genuinely kick on with some fresh investment I'd wipe the slate clean with Randy giving him the 'character building (!)' benefit of the doubt I'm also giving Lambert and players.

6. If we stay up, this could be an exciting summer. If Lambert can get rid of the deadwood and, most importantly, if Randy backs the manager with say £30m- £40m I could see us being a comfortable mid-table team in with a slight chance of challenging for the Europa League places.  I think we need to shore up the spine of our team while adding a top quality left back. Two or three good additions would transform us as would the removal of the few remaining bad apples. I think there is the makings of a good team there if we can make a few positive decisions (for once!) this summer.
Nailed it...

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
It was a bit like Tommy Johnson's goal up at Boro one New Years day. Pass, pass, pass, shifting them around, stretching their limits of concentration and organisation and then when the ball is in the box, we react, they don't.

I cannot help but think that watching the opposition pass it and shift it around for a few minutes leads to lesser players switching off.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »
From the start I have been able to see what PL is trying to do with the type of players he brought in and trying to play passing, attacking football. It is hard to keep the faith when two days before Christmas you sit at home with your son and see eight goals going in then have the pleasure of sitting right behng the goal with him for Tottenham, Wigan, Southampton, Newcastle and Bradford. I have said on other threads how sick I am of filing out past celebrating away fans. But I honestly think we do have to bite the bullet. He bought Benteke, he gave Weimann a proper run. He was decisive on Collins, Hutton and Warnock. Westwood looks a player, also Lowton although he has 'hit the wall' for me at the moment. Vlaar will be better next season with a years experience in England and hopefully an injury free run. I believe Baker and Clark will be better next year. Along with Westwood I think Delph and Sylla could solve the central midfield problem. My big doubt is left back and Bennett. If we say our frustration in January was because so little needed doing then surely we accept maybe three good signings in the summer and we can look forward to next season. Obviously there is the small matter of staying up in the meantime.

Nothing the matter with Baker as long as he plays centre half. He is powerful and determined in that position a typical old time British centre half  Clark for the hundreth time is not a centre half. Clark is a midfielder. I think Lambert is hoping Bennett will attain the status of Ashley Cole in the long run(on the pitch that is) the more I think about it he could be right.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
It was a lovely move.  Sorry to be negative, but despite flashing glimpses of a good team, we are 4th from bottom and much of the reason is that we didn't buy a centre half in January.  Some of lamberts signings look shocking while some look brilliant.  We would probably all agree in the one brilliant one. 

I'd love PL to turn it around with attractive, exciting modern football.  I'm just not sure he will and relegating aston villa takes some doing so if we went I'd be gob smacked if he were allowed to stay. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »
the way that goal was scored is the main reason i've been willing to stick by Lambert,

we scored it in a way that would have never been posible under TSM or MON, and although we havent scored many goals this seaon the way we try and play the passing game is not just a one of from saturday

in all of our last 3 games against Man City, Arsenal and Reading we have played some really decent football, but only ended up with 3 points out of 9, but thats the style of play way i feel we need to go with long term, and so Lambert has been the man for me even through the worst of worse times,

the win gives us a good fighting chance of staying up and no more, we are still down there in deep trouble,
but the positive is that we are playing some good stuff now, and we just have to hope we get a few breaks and get out of this mess, and then go again next season (sorry)

the defence is still a major problem, i thought it looked very wobbly against Reading, and i dont see that changing now so attack must be the best form of defence as they say

Offline mr woo

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
While it's nice to read such positive comments for a change, I'm sad to say I'm with Rigadon on this one.

Yes, we were the better side on Saturday, and yes we did play some football that was easy on the eye. We even managed to wise up and play out the time added on for a change.

But lets not forget who we were playing. A Reading side likely to finish bottom, and a far from full strength Reading side at that.

If we come away feeling this satisfied against QPR next week it'll be a different story, because that will be a proper benchmark for these potential green shoots.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
While it's nice to read such positive comments for a change, I'm sad to say I'm with Rigadon on this one.

Yes, we were the better side on Saturday, and yes we did play some football that was easy on the eye. We even managed to wise up and play out the time added on for a change.

But lets not forget who we were playing. A Reading side likely to finish bottom, and a far from full strength Reading side at that.

If we come away feeling this satisfied against QPR next week it'll be a different story, because that will be a proper benchmark for these potential green shoots.

Agree with this. Not much point beating Reading then losing to QPR. I take Rigadon's points too, but I would actually stick wth Lambert even if the unthinkable happened. Which it won't.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
The goal highlighted how we should be playing and how much better we are when we remember that.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Could we have done this at home though?

I reckon after 6 or 7 passes had gone forward and backward, at Villa Park, the players would've been given an earful by many fans shouting at the top of their voices.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
Could we have done this at home though?

I reckon after 6 or 7 passes had gone forward and backward, at Villa Park, the players would've been given an earful by many fans shouting at the top of their voices.

I don't think that'd be the case at all. Strikes me as a dim view of our fans, self loathing almost.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
It has taken him over 20 games to find the best formation and style of play - having now got the formation we are playing better, lets see how things pan out- things are looking up but lambert still has work to do to convince me - I hope we continue in the style of play of recent games but consistency is not our strong point.

Offline supertom

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Next season's signings are vital. He has to get us a strong spine. We need a replacement for Petrov and a replacement for Dunne. Two experienced players who can rally the troops. It's not all about passing. Sometimes you need to dig in and grind out a result.

We just need a couple more players who can just calm things down and steady the ship if we look in danger of falling apart, something we've done all too often this season.

Also Lambert needs to seriously look at his defensive coaches. We need to get someone in to improve things. I'd love to give big Martin Laursen a role here. I think he could make a difference. Not just to pass on his wisdom but he'd just a great figure to have around the club again. Either that or we need a DOF at the club to offer some knowledge and some assistance to PL when needed, but also to offer a bit more insight to Randy and his lot who know chuff all about football.

I do appreciate what Lambert's aiming for. Unlike O Neill and McLeish he appreciates where this league is heading. Most clubs are now trying to play the same way. Keep the ball on the deck and pass it.

I'm fairly optimistic about staying up. I fancy us to get enough positive results in the next 6 games that we won't leave it until the last day. Of course, ask me again after these 6 games if we've picked up a couple of points.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
If the problems with the defence are allowed to run on through next season, then it won't really matter how we play, we're going to go on giving away stupid goals, and get nowhere.

He has to fix that, it goes without saying.

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »
I don't think lambert will change his staff- culverhouse is close to him and I can't see him changing things, i agree two or 3 experienced players could make a huge difference next season but lets not count our chickens yet, we are in a real fight here and at least we are showing. Good signs but there is a long way to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal