collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 26 passes  (Read 16702 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
26 passes
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
... before one Reading touch and then Gabby's goal shortly after, yesterday.

And, what's more, directly before that, another spell of ten passes. That for me is what we're trying to do this season.

It isn't going to be easy changing to that style of play, and it isn't going to be easy doing it with some of the players we have, but possession football - trying to use the ball, to keep it - surely that has got to be the way forward for us?

On paper, and looking at the league table, you can make out a good case for sacking Lambert, but that goal was a perfect example, for me, of why I want him to carry on with what he's trying to do.

To be entirely honest, I suspect we'll have another relatively mediocre season next year, 12th to 14th - infinitely better than this year, mind - but another season of slow progress.

We're still at risk of going down - considerable risk, too - and the signs of progress, whilst there, come with intervals of grimness, but spells like that yesterday against Reading are what marks the difference between last year and this.

Looking at what we have now, squad-wise, how much more investment will it take to bring in sufficient players to make that transition?

Which ones look like they can play that way? Which look like they won't make the transition? That's not the same as "which are the shit players" btw, that's a different question entirely.

Will it be worth the pain in the long run?

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
Re: 26 passes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
I believe it will be. The apparent rebuilding plan is bound to be a slog, but I agree that there are more and more examples of the style of football PL wants to play emerginging.

It does involve the massive gamble inherent in us avoiding relegation with the players we have now. If we are relegated, players will leave and we'll have moved another step back but, if we don't, we will have something to build from. I do admire Lambert's confidence - if not to say chutzpah. But it's risky.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:20:49 PM by German James »

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »
All I could think about while watching the game back.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
I was in the bog when we scored the second goal.  *sigh*

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
All I could think about while watching the game back.

I think Legion will cry when he sees that video.

P.s. Leeg, look at my username!

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
I actually think as a club we are progressing and Lambert is at the forefront of that. We are not going to challenge to clubs, but i like the fact young lads who want to play for the club are doing their all

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:50:16 PM »
I thought this was a thread about the time Wayne Rooney appeared on "Mastermind".

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:41 AM »
I have stuck with Lambert all season and have said he should keep his job whatever happens. I have based this support on the following points:

1. Paul Lambert is an ambitious young manager with a fresh philosophy on the game. Do we want another dinosaur for the sake of a couple of years of mid-table mediocrity followed by ending up in deep crap again? That's what would happen under a Big Sam/Curbishly or whoever else of that ilk.

2. Last season, the life was sucked out of the club by a dour, negative and old-fashioned manager. We played some of the worst stuff I have seen from a villa side. If we're honest, we didn't look like Aston Villa, more like a Bolton or a Wimbledon trying to defend and nick a few 1-0 wins. This season has been tough but there had been a big improvement. OK, so we are six points worse off now than same stage last season but we look like scoring goals and winning games, something that looked (and actually was!) beyond us from early March. We had a dreadful spell in December and January, dreadful. However, we as fans need to look beyond it and see it as 'character building' for that young team. They got through it, will remember it and will have learned some hard lessons.

3. One thing that has been consistent this season: the players have played for the manager. They didn't play for Houllier, they didn't (couldn't?) play for TSM. They have stuck with Lambert and most importantly, they have stuck with each other. That tells me the manager has been doing something right.  When was the last time we looked like a team? Sometime in the spring of 2010? I'm not sure, I think we probably stopped looking like a team after the Carling Cup final?

4. Stability. We need stability. After so much change since August 2010 we simply cannot go through that process again. We have got to give this manager at least another six months. If we are really struggling at Christmas 2013 (whatever division) then I'd get rid but he has to be given time to build. If there are more Bentekes out there I want them coming to villa and this manager. By now Lambert knows who to keep, who to buy and who to sell. A new man would have to start again. I genuinely think that a change of manager again could be the thing that would relegate us next year.

5. I am disillusioned, don't get me wrong, but I (quite openly) have been directing this at the custodians of the club. I feel Lambert probably was working under the same kind of restrictions that led to us having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a manager the previous summer. I think the decision making and leadership at Aston Villa since 2010 has been appalling and will take a few years to recover. However, and this is important, I feel those of us who have been disillusioned should be willing to wait and see what happens in the summer. If Randy and co stick with Lambert, see that the club is united again and try to genuinely kick on with some fresh investment I'd wipe the slate clean with Randy giving him the 'character building (!)' benefit of the doubt I'm also giving Lambert and players.

6. If we stay up, this could be an exciting summer. If Lambert can get rid of the deadwood and, most importantly, if Randy backs the manager with say £30m- £40m I could see us being a comfortable mid-table team in with a slight chance of challenging for the Europa League places.  I think we need to shore up the spine of our team while adding a top quality left back. Two or three good additions would transform us as would the removal of the few remaining bad apples. I think there is the makings of a good team there if we can make a few positive decisions (for once!) this summer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:10:32 AM by Irish villain »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »
I was in the bog when we scored the second goal.  *sigh*

Pauliewalnuts said he was too. "Snapping one off" I believe was the description. Allied to Chico's worries about his missus 'doing a Radcliffe' (Paula, not Kevin) at an upcoming half-marathon and the only logical conclusion one can come to is that this site is full of shite.

P.S. I've just returned from evacuating my bowels. A fitting end to the weekend. Villa passing + defecation = RESULTS

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
Thanks for putting your thoughts in words IV. Enjoyed the read and I broadly agree.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »
P.P.S. Sorry IrishVillain, for following your well-thought out post with such crap.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:05 AM »
Irish Villain - You've said it all perfectly.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »
I still think Lambert need to sort out defensive coach, and set pieces and defending and buy a quality central defender and maybe both full back.

We need to build from the back, win more balls and then we can keep control of the game. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »
Well, it's clear - as was said here in January by many posters - that some class in DMF, both FB and CB would turn this struggling squad into a useful unit.
With the money likely to come from Benteke and Bent we should have enough to cover these positions and buy another Benteke from somewhere ...
... and if Christian and the club agree for him to continue with us - the best possible outcome - Lerner needs to dig into the new EPL money bag and use some of it to stengthen.

That's if we stay up, of course.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:52:46 AM »
From the start I have been able to see what PL is trying to do with the type of players he brought in and trying to play passing, attacking football. It is hard to keep the faith when two days before Christmas you sit at home with your son and see eight goals going in then have the pleasure of sitting right behng the goal with him for Tottenham, Wigan, Southampton, Newcastle and Bradford. I have said on other threads how sick I am of filing out past celebrating away fans. But I honestly think we do have to bite the bullet. He bought Benteke, he gave Weimann a proper run. He was decisive on Collins, Hutton and Warnock. Westwood looks a player, also Lowton although he has 'hit the wall' for me at the moment. Vlaar will be better next season with a years experience in England and hopefully an injury free run. I believe Baker and Clark will be better next year. Along with Westwood I think Delph and Sylla could solve the central midfield problem. My big doubt is left back and Bennett. If we say our frustration in January was because so little needed doing then surely we accept maybe three good signings in the summer and we can look forward to next season. Obviously there is the small matter of staying up in the meantime.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal