collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:36:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:36:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:35:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:34:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:33:56 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by waynejames
[Today at 09:33:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 09:32:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 years ago today...  (Read 10362 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
10 years ago today...
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
03/03/03.

Christ what a horrible night that was. Not just the result but the whole atmosphere and it kicking off in most stands.

Were things worse then or now, it's difficult to say.

Online waynejames

Re: 10 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:08:14 PM »
10 years ago, blimey!
I got home from this one at around midnight, i'd been on the sauce from midday in Water Orton. Don't remember much about the game thank god.
Just remember horrible pent up fans milling around all day and night, i suppose i was one of them that night if i admit it.
That game made even normal people boil over!

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Most poisonous atmosphere I've ever known. I wonder if we'll ever experience anything like it again. I think it was due to a combination of a few things: the fact it was a night game and many people were bladdered, the fact we'd not played them at VP for so long, all the rumours of them having tickets in our sections, and ultimately what occurred on the pitch. A truly horrible night.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
Hadn't been a league match at VP between us for 16 years. What a horrible night that was in all ways. At the time I had a season ticket in Douglas Ellis upper, I knew it was going to be a very different night when the Villa fans were in full voice in the bars there before kick off. Never heard a chant up there before!

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
Blues take the Savage derby

Dominic Fifield at Villa Park
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 4 March 2003 17.10 GMT

Somewhere amid the chaos, beneath the violent skirmishes in the stands, the flurry of red cards on the pitch and the purring menace of police helicopters hovering above, Birmingham won a football match here last night. This morning the repercussions of that win will be felt keenly across the Second City.

A first double in 26 years over their bitter rivals has hoisted Steve Bruce's side six points from the cut-off at the foot of the Premiership, sending the banks of blue in the Witton Road stand delirious on the whistle, but this was a ferocious blur of a match which will be remembered less for its football and more for its poison.

By the end Villa had been reduced to nine men with Robbie Savage, later substituted for his own good, confronted by a livid home fan who had eluded the numerous riot police stationed around the touchline.

Dion Dublin's head-butt on the Welsh international, within a foot of the referee Mark Halsey, and Joey Gudjonsson's horrific two-footed lunge on Matthew Upson 10 minutes from time prompted the dismissals and, justified as the cards were, they provoked ugly scenes among the supporters spilling out of the Doug Ellis Stand.

The Villa chairman, deadpan on the final whistle, endured vicious abuse from disgruntled home fans as they traipsed away in disgust. This was the first league derby in this arena since 1987; 16 years of rancour had duly erupted. Now Villa fans will have to cope with the aftermath. Dublin's late sliding challenge on Savage - the Welshman ever eager to collapse at the merest hint of contact - prompted a melee five minutes after the interval in which the forward, having wrestled himself away from Halsey, clearly head-butted Savage.

The pair have a history of bad blood dating from Savage's spell at Leicester City and they had clashed after a mere three seconds of this match to set the tone for the remainder. After the second-half spat the Welshman clutched his face; Dublin was promptly dismissed and trudged off down the tunnel mouthing "He's a cheat" to a TV camera.

With him effectively went the match. Just over 20 minutes later Jeff Kenna, wriggling away from Alan Wright on the right touchline, crossed and his centre eluded the substitute Geoff Horsfield and Olof Mellberg at the near post for the unmarked Stan Lazaridis to nod into the unguarded net. "He's beaten us in the cricket and now gone and scored a diving header," said Bruce, who substituted the Australian 10 seconds later. "Wonders will never cease."

Within three minutes that much became clear. Villa's goalkeeper Peter Enckelman had spent six months rebuilding his career after his unfathomable error in the St Andrews derby when he let Mellberg's innocuous throw graze his studs and trickle pathetically into the visitors' net to double City's lead. That memory is still liable to send Brummies flying into fits of either rage or giggles depending upon their allegiance, though now they have a choice of Enckelman clangers.

Jlloyd Samuel's header back should have been easily gathered but, as Horsfield bore down on the Finn, the goalkeeper visibly shirked the challenge and allowed the marauding forward to poke the ball free, round the keeper and stroke it into the net. Enckelman sank to his knees in dismay.

The goalscorer, not content with the humiliation already inflicted, later took over between the posts at the other end after Nico Vaesen strained knee ligaments in a fall, with City's three substitutions already spent.

What football did emerge from the tumult was utterly devoid of poise, with Gudjonsson's pummelled free-kick over the bar on the stroke of half-time Villa's only meaningful attempt. The Icelandic international had earlier been spat at by Christophe Dugarry who could well find himself in hot water today.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
My 8th birthday ;)

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Pints are on you tonight, then ;)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Pints are on you tonight, then ;)

Already have been... made a few posts earlier that suggest I wasn't at my brightest.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
Horrible, horrible experience.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
For a few hours we became them, that about the most damning thing i can say about that night.  Disgraceful evening.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
Horrible night, but I've never, ever, ever experienced a louder atmosphere at any game. Walking up the steps to my seat in the Holte was like a wall of noise.

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Horrible, horrible night. Nothing quite as gut wrenching as getting beat by them.

I remember explaining to some of my North East co-workers, just how vicious the Villa / sha derby was, and them not really believing me. Then after they watched both games on TV that season, the 03/03/03 game especially, I think they realised I wasn't exaggerating.   

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
What had Savage done to wind Dublin up so much?

Have they shared the sofa in the BBC studio since?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
****** Night!!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
I can't believe that was 10 years ago. Horrible evening.

I remember one of the national journos commenting on the fact that it was very unsavoury and poisonous, but by God it was interesting to see such passion in a fairly benign premier league ( I think he was basically saying he had loved the barely concealed hatred)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal