collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will we ever be that happy again?  (Read 13423 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Will we ever be that happy again?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
There was an aritificial happiness under pubehead/Lerner based presumably on the assumption we had a tactical genius in the manager's seat and a guy who would bankroll us off it. The 2nd bit was obviously encouraged by Lerner and his pals with the "no budget" mantra and whispers about paying 30m for a player. A lot of the abject misery since then is the comedown from that I believe. We were promised top players, attractive football and the CL, and we got Ireland, hoofball and probably relegation.

No people were happy because we were winning a lot more games than we lost and challenging near the top. The sustainability of it all is now a matter of hindsight, but at the time people were smiling (well at least more of us were) about beating Man U or Chelsea, or thrashing the Blues, or getting to a cup final, or challenging for the top four. Pretty simple really

Nah, it was more than that. As people having pointed out before, we finished higher, and got to finals under previous managers and there wasn't the same type of euphoria. It wasn't so much how we were doing but the presumption it was only going to get better.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »
Happiness from football was just seeing us win a game. There's nothing quite like that after match feeling where you've won. It's not something we've had very often this season and in good recent seasons where we've qualified for Europe, it happened regularly.

I do wonder how Man United fans enjoy football though. A lot of the time it must be the equivalent of England playing some whipping boy in a qualifying game. You don't really celebrate the goals because you're expected to beat the inferior opposition, so where's the joy? You would think they get their joy from lifting trophies but even then they expect to do so in most things.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
I will be happy If we keep our Prem status , I know its not great but I have to get used to it.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
It is all about expectations. I expect the Villa to be what they have always been. Top 6-7 with the odd bad season where we flirt with relegation and the odd good one where we win a cup or do unusually well. If we can play decent football to boot then so much the better.

Not that we will feel like we belong if we do look like joining the top table of course. And any more than one shit season in succession is unacceptable as its not what we do.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
I am slightly concerned that there is an entire generation of Villa supporters who have never seen us win anything, or were too young to really remember our last trophy at Wembley.

It's shit for the younger fans; huge expense to see their team, Villa look as far away from a trophy as ever, and they live in an era when money doesn't just talk but bellows.
And that Stu is a massive problem. We need to win something soon to give them inspiration and hope for the future. So being beaten by Bradford and Millwall hurts more for that reason alone.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
My eldest son is 10 years old. For as long as he can remember we've been shit. Because of where we live, we obviously can't get to many Villa games, but he comes with me to every SC Telstar home game and loves every minute of it. He knows they will never get promoted to the Eredivisie, instead he takes great pleasure in the things that make football so great; the minutiae of games and the sheer comedy that can be had in watching live football.

In the car on the way home on Friday night I asked him about Villa and if he was still a fan and he said "of course I am, it's in my blood and it will never change." I honestly nearly burst into tears, because my lad sums up everything that should be remembered by us as football fans. It certainly put my current Villa malaise into perspective.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
I got  a 6 and 9 year old, you only ever known us being crap, the other day i found his ipod with the united logo on.

What can i say to a 6 year old who lives in greater manchester, support a shite villa side?

Honestly i now not arsed if we go down, I just want us to level off and start winning and that involves a season in champioship so be it

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
Unfortunately, you can never really, truly walk away from it all.

It is in your blood, passed down from one generation to another, like some sort of bad chromosome, or a club foot, or diabetes.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »
manchester, support a shite villa side?

Honestly i now not arsed if we go down, I just want us to level off and start winning and that involves a season in champioship so be it

I'm arsed about it and the day when I just shrug and accept a meek relegation will be the day when my toes curl up.
I'll be fucking pig sick, angry and miserable if we go down.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Unfortunately, you can never really, truly walk away from it all.

It is in your blood, passed down from one generation to another, like some sort of bad chromosome, or a club foot, or diabetes.

Nobody in my immediate family liked football apart from my grandfather. So I thank him every day for my being a Villa fan, but paradoxically think it would have been better if he'd kept his offer to go to a game to himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal