collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will we ever be that happy again?  (Read 13479 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Will we ever be that happy again?
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Somebody on TV just started singing New York.   It made me so sad I had to turn it off.   It took me back to those happy long gone days when Dwight still loved us and we still loved him and BFR was our manager and we won things and being a Villa fan was great.

Things have become so sour and nasty and unpleasant and are set to get worse.   Is all we have to look forward to more of the same?   Will we ever be happy again?   Really happy, not less unhappy?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Will we ever be that happy again?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
We've come back from worse.  You never know what's around the corner, and all that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
I'm sure we didn't sing that to Dwight under BFR. I'm sure back then his song was what I always called the clock chiming tune.

And yes we will.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
Brian, the days of Dwight were not the really happy days!
I go back to Little, Gray and Deehan for my happy-days 'fix'.

We are in an era where heritage means nothing and living one's past glories are derided.

An era where if the chairman is not prepared to piss he needs to get off the effing pot.

An era in which the live fan is less important than the virtual.

Where a manager's sell-by is 6 months rather than 18-26.

Where a player earns more than the manager and where the player's agent is the key decision-maker in their relationship with the club.

Where following a team for life is just not hip!

So ...

Up the Villa, through thick, thin and the changing bloody eras!

Offline danlanza

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
We will always be Villa and we will always have something to smile about brian.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
I'm sure we didn't sing that to Dwight under BFR. I'm sure back then his song was what I always called the clock chiming tune.

And yes we will.

Im pretty sure I recall BFR singing it prior to a televised cup tie at Liverpool ,

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
I am slightly concerned that there is an entire generation of Villa supporters who have never seen us win anything, or were too young to really remember our last trophy at Wembley.

It's shit for the younger fans; huge expense to see their team, Villa look as far away from a trophy as ever, and they live in an era when money doesn't just talk but bellows.

Offline supertom

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Well during that era, winning League cups n'shit, I was just a youngen. Everything was more exciting back then before the harsh realities of life and work kicked in. So I think personally, my age has something to do with just how much I can enjoy football. I'll never be as swept away by the Villa as I was then. I'll never hero worship a player like I did Yorkie again.

But yeah the state of the modern game also has a lot to do with it as well. It's very hard to like players now, even your own.

But just going back to this whole new generation of Villa fans who's best experience has been a few 6th place finishes. It is a shame. I don't think they'll experience what those back in the early 80's did, or even the early to mid 90's. I've been with my Mrs 2 and a bit years. She knows chuff all about football, not a fan by any stretch. Sometimes she'll ask me though, "Why is your team shit?" Then I have to go into great detail explaining to her why we're shit at which point she stares at me blankly and drifts off to her happy place. A world without football. But since she's known me all she's known is that my team struggles down the bottom. If we bring a new life into the world, and I force him to become a Villa fan (it may have to be at gunpoint) then I feel like I'll be consigning someone to a footballing fan life of dredgery whilst his little mates go and switch allegience between whichever club is fashionable or winning at the time.
Still, If a sign of mine ends up a Utd or City fan, I'll be taking my belt off! Ha ha.

Villa for life though. Good times, bad times, and the achingly dull times that you tend to forget.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
I am slightly concerned that there is an entire generation of Villa supporters who have never seen us win anything, or were too young to really remember our last trophy at Wembley.

It's shit for the younger fans; huge expense to see their team, Villa look as far away from a trophy as ever, and they live in an era when money doesn't just talk but bellows.

We are one of many, many teams who haven't won anything for a long time (others longer and many never winning anything). You support who you support and get on with it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
CBBB is bang on. Everton have won nothing since '95. Newcastle since TV's were the same colour as their shirts. Man City went over 30 years with nothing. It's VTID for a reason.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »

We are one of many, many teams who haven't won anything for a long time (others longer and many never winning anything). You support who you support and get on with it.

Of course. My post was inspired by a post further up the thread which talked about 'past glories'. The younger fans have nothing to look back on apart from a couple of European matches and some top 6 finishes.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
Not under this owner

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »
 From the personal perspective of someone who started taking an interest post-European Cup, then this is on a par with the Billy Mcneil season for me in the low point stakes with mebbe a bit more hope we can survive. I'm sure the crumblies on here can remember worse. If we go down, then it could be far worse than the 80's because at least we appointed a manager who knew what he was doing then. This time, who knows who we'll get, possibly even lambchop!
Lets face it, 5 years ago no-one on here would have bet on us facing the league champions from Manchester without United at the end of their name, so where we'll be in 5 years is anyone's guess. Happier? I think so. Even if it goes really pear-shaped, the memories of our stab at the big time will have faded a bit more. At the moment its too fresh in the mind.

richtheholtender

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
We could have had 2 league cups in the last 3 years.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal