collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 36946 times)

Online john2710

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
I know somebody has probably posted this already earlier in the thread but watching it again this morning the second Arsenal goal was totally the fault of  Fabian Delph who didnt track back as he should have done.

I thought, as did MOTD, that Weimann was at fault for not tracking back.

Surely Lowton? Anyone have a clue where he disappeared to for the second goal?

It's Weimanns job to track the full back, he got lucky a couple of times when the ball was overhit but it was an area where we were wide open all game. Our full backs were tucked in around the edge of the box leaving the space that Arsenal eventually exploited.

Our defenders are continually being sucked to where the ball is or where they thinks it's going to be, they never ever cover the man.

It's OK playing four attacking players but it's detrimental to our defense & asking players like Gabby & Weimann to track back constantly means they only have to switch off momentarily & the opposition are in.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:50:01 PM by john2710 »

Offline achilles

« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
Here's my take on the game, though our match reports seem to be becoming as worn as the post-match threads.. Only so often you can keep saying the same things.

Have a read and rate Lambert's performance..

And here's a quick snippet..

Villa proved to be the perfect comeback opponents for Arsenal; though the first half performance offered promise, if marred by our now customary defensive hesitancy, the second was a muddled mess which lurched from amateurish to inept.

Time after time this season we've seen our side become a punching bag, dropping towards the so-called 'sanctuary' (it's anything but) of our six-yard line while the opposition pour forward in wave after wave of virtually unbroken attacks

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/aston-villa/fansverdict/23-02-2013/arsenal-vs-aston-villa#ixzz2LpkfShmo

Good report, can't argue with any of that!

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
i thought we were unlucky not to take a point yesterday. when they scored after 5 minutes, i thought we were going to get another battering, but they showed a bit of grit and kept their head.

benteke was anonymous, but i thought wiemann was superb. bennett looked more assured.

i was more annoyed that wigan turned over reading so convincingly. if they start to pull away we're fucked.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
I know somebody has probably posted this already earlier in the thread but watching it again this morning the second Arsenal goal was totally the fault of  Fabian Delph who didnt track back as he should have done.

I thought, as did MOTD, that Weimann was at fault for not tracking back.

Surely Lowton? Anyone have a clue where he disappeared to for the second goal?

It's Weimanns job to track the full back, he got lucky a couple of times when the ball was overhit but it was an area where we were wide open all game. Our full backs were tucked in around the edge of the box leaving the space that Arsenal eventually exploited.

Our defenders are continually being sucked to where the ball is or where they thinks it's going to be, they never ever cover the man.

It's OK playing four attacking players but it's detrimental to our defense & asking players like Gabby & Weimann to track back constantly means they only have to switch off momentarily & the opposition are in.

In fairness we got in loads down Arsenal's left aswell in the first half, Moreal went walkabout loads of times. The key yesterday was not playing 3 centrally in midfield for the last 15 minutes, I would've put Sylla on instead of KEA and taken Gabby off instead of N'zogbia (bizarre Lambert never trusts him to last a full 90 minutes).

I reckon Gabby will be taken out for Man. City. We can't go in 4-2-4 against them as they're so strong in central midfield and don't offer much width. Surely even Lambert isnt even that tactically stupid?

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
I've been away all weekend and just noticed that Vlaar is injured, again.  What's the matter with him now?

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
I've been away all weekend and just noticed that Vlaar is injured, again.  What's the matter with him now?

He's hurt his calf.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »

He's hurt his calf.

We should change his name to Farmer Ron.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
They thought it was his calf but they tested it and it was his foal.   He had to be withdrawn on health and safety grounds.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »
They thought it was his calf but they tested it and it was his foal.   He had to be withdrawn on health and safety grounds.

When asked if he was fit enough to play he said Neigh

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
His foot and mouth flared up

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
Vlaar fit or not makes no odds, were as down as Stewart Downing in Downing Street watching an episode of Downturn Abbey or whatever the f*ck it's called.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
That's the worse Arsenal team have put out in the league for donkeys years. Toothless up front and a wobbly defence.

Our own defence is a big worry. Late November/early December we conceded just 3 in 6 games, and it seemed as if we could at least shut teams out. Then came the Chelsea games and our defenders are still jumping at their own shadows.

yep. we can all see it, presumably Lambchop can as well but it doesn't improve. I'm guessing he's spending every moment on the training pitch trying to drill the defence but its not working. You don't need a defence of world beaters to stop making balls-ups every game.

Yep, apologies for stating the bleeding obvious.

It was a rhetorical whinge.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
That's the worse Arsenal team have put out in the league for donkeys years. Toothless up front and a wobbly defence.

Our own defence is a big worry. Late November/early December we conceded just 3 in 6 games, and it seemed as if we could at least shut teams out. Then came the Chelsea games and our defenders are still jumping at their own shadows.

yep. we can all see it, presumably Lambchop can as well but it doesn't improve. I'm guessing he's spending every moment on the training pitch trying to drill the defence but its not working. You don't need a defence of world beaters to stop making balls-ups every game.

Yep, apologies for stating the bleeding obvious.

It was a rhetorical whinge.

no need to apologise. I'm fulling intending to state the bleeding obvious at every opportunity :0)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal