collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Streaming Abdabs  (Read 21447 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Streaming Abdabs
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
As you - quite rightly - can't show Saturday 3pm kick-offs live, the idea's a non-starter anyway.

For now maybe , but sometime in the future i wouldnt rule it out .
It is not difficult to find villa live at 3 pm on saturdays on an internet stream.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
As you - quite rightly - can't show Saturday 3pm kick-offs live, the idea's a non-starter anyway.

It is not difficult to find villa live at 3 pm on saturdays on an internet stream.

That's because the restriction only applies in the UK.  Internationally they can show whatever they like.  Over here I can find 3-4 matches every Saturday afternoon, but Villa are rarely among them so I use streams more often than not.

As with most forms of digital piracy there will always be a portion of society who won't pay but there are also a fair number who would happily pay if they had the option to.  Downloading TV shows and movies is similar, lovefilm and netflix are slowly catching up but prior to that what options did you have if you, for whatever reason, couldn't get a dvd copy of a film?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

The day that happens every non-league club may as well pack up.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
For those who want to watch the Villa on a Saturday afternoon without going to the game, they  already can. They would'nt need to pay Sky any extra. Like Legion said, the clubs would'nt be in favour of it anyway.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »
For those who want to watch the Villa on a Saturday afternoon without going to the game, they  already can. They would'nt need to pay Sky any extra. Like Legion said, the clubs would'nt be in favour of it anyway.

Not everyone has access to the internet and live streaming - a lot of older people especially would maybe not know how or where to access games, i am often asked by people how to find games .

Some people as paul stated would be happy to pay for such a service legally and i dont think gates would be affected that much .

Offline Clampy

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

Not everyone has access to the internet and live streaming - a lot of older people especially would maybe not know how or where to access games, i am often asked by people how to find games .

It's not just through the internet at home though. You can walk into a number of local pubs and watch a midland team playing live on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »

Some people as paul stated would be happy to pay for such a service legally and i dont think gates would be affected that much .

And as I said earlier, it would destroy other leagues.

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »

And as I said earlier, it would destroy other leagues.

What percentage of non league fans would stay away to watch other games on tv do you think dave ?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
Juging by the drop in numbers when there's a Champions League game midweek, quite a few. Maybe not in numbers, but percentage-wise definitely.

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
Juging by the drop in numbers when there's a Champions League game midweek, quite a few. Maybe not in numbers, but percentage-wise definitely.

Thanks for your input dave.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
You can't even listen to local match commentaries on the internet.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
You can't even listen to local match commentaries on the internet.

You can via clubs websites as the clubs hold the rights, although i think this is something that should be available on radio websites- its ok to listen if you are local to the area but people living far away cannot access local commentary.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:49:09 AM by eastie »

Offline mr woo

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Can't help but feel that anybody complaining about Skys subscription charges is missing the point, and failing to see the bigger picture.

TV broadcasters are subject to the same practices as any business, including the world's oldest market force, supply and demand. That is, if a lot of people want something - it's expensive. You could, therefore, be pointing the finger of blame equally at greedy players, leeching agents, covetous clubs or the piggish Premier league.

Or...you could just begrudgingly accept the sour and unpleasant face of capitalism in all its glory.

For what it's worth, I believe there will be a point when somebody realises empty stadiums don't look so great on TV and ticket prices will eventually come into line. After all, it's been often said, the gate receipts are merely the icing on the cake in a premier league clubs quota.

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Doug often used to say that it has been proved that dropping prices doesnt affect the gate as much as people believe it would.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

The day that happens every non-league club may as well pack up.

I suppose the counter argument, and I'm not saying I agree with it, is that it's market forces, such as supply and demand.  In the same way supermarkets saw a rapid decline in the corner greengrocer, the Premier League are trying to kill off non-league clubs.  Not because of any evil master plan, but they want to take an ever increasing percentage of the football fans disposable income.  And if that ses the likes of Tamworth die out, they'll lament it without feeling guilty, just like the supermarkets.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal