collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:23:51 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by lennythekad
[Today at 02:22:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:21:24 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by cdward
[Today at 02:18:08 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 02:15:51 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:13:28 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by chrisw1
[Today at 02:05:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 9790 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
I really thought Carruthers would come through this season,looks a talent, hope he doesn't drift away.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
Met his Dad on holiday in Ibiza in August, went to watch the Newcastle game with him in a local bar. Said England were after him too but he chose Ireland. His sisters played with our kids at the airport. Really nice family so I've kept an eye on his progress.

His dad said of McLeish that he was the only Villa boss since Jack was there from the age of 6 to come and watch the youngsters at every level. Villa mad too, had a season ticket since he was 4 and his Dad went to Rotterdam.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
Met his Dad on holiday in Ibiza in August, went to watch the Newcastle game with him in a local bar. Said England were after him too but he chose Ireland. His sisters played with our kids at the airport. Really nice family so I've kept an eye on his progress.

His dad said of McLeish that he was the only Villa boss since Jack was there from the age of 6 to come and watch the youngsters at every level. Villa mad too, had a season ticket since he was 4 and his Dad went to Rotterdam.

Yes, I know his dad. He is as staunch Villa as they come.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »
My mate's son was a schoolmate of Jack's. He's very highly rated. McLeish actually had him on the bench for one home game last season and Jack was only 16 at the time. Fingers crossed he makes it.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »
Very good technically and an elusive runner -no express pace. He seemed to have outgrown his strength a bit at the start of the season.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
The kid has got a good left foot, positional sense is excellent, tacking back skills above average, has a good work rate and decent stamina, heading ability better than average, a good burst of pace over 10 yards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:24:37 PM by Rip Van We Go Again »

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »
He is probably the latest 'golden' academy kid. Very highly rated by those that watch the youth games. I hope he is given a chance next season as I do believe that inexperience can actually a good thing for a winger. They are quite fearless and are unknown by the opposition. We are crying out for some good proper wide players too.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Compilation video if you don't mind squinting.

You can play 'spot the ground' on that. On first watch I spotted Boldmere St. Michaels and Chester.

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
I wouldn't get too excited. Lets just see how he develops. I can't think of one youngster who has come through in the last 5 years who is anywhere near good enough for the higher reaches of the Prem yet.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »
He looks a great little player

Offline peter w

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »
As they all do aged 17. Just urging some caution before we have him as the newest saviour.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
I wouldn't get too excited. Lets just see how he develops. I can't think of one youngster who has come through in the last 5 years who is anywhere near good enough for the higher reaches of the Prem yet.

It'd be nice if they were that good, but in all honesty they do not need to be.  If the yoof could provide ten premiership quality players then we'd need to buy less players.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

It'd be nice if they were that good, but in all honesty they do not need to be.  If the yoof could provide ten premiership quality players then we'd need to buy less players.

And this is the key to the academy.  If we bring through 1-2 a season like we have done in recent years then even if half of them don't end up making it you're still looking at a third of your squad having been 'free', even if they're the filler around better players who've been paid for they're still an essential part of the squad.

For what it's worth, Clark, Baker, Weimann have all shown they are premier league quality for me, then Bannan, Lichaj, Herd and Albrighton are all filler (as things stand).  Add in that Gardner is likely to get a run at some point and Williams, Johnson, Burke and Carruthers have all been around the first team at times and we've still got a healthy amount of youth coming through.  Once again, our problem for the last 2-3 years hasn't been due to playing the kids, it's been due to either having to play too many of them at once because of injuries, or because the experienced players alongside them have gone missing.  Once we get the balance right with seniors earning their places and we can keep a squad together without a massive injury list the academy players will mostly show that they're good enough to be at a mid-table premier league club, which is fine for the time being.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
I still think Herd is close to prem quality.  He (for me) was our most consistent player last season (Way above our supoosed player of the year "Ireland")  Still think he has a useful place in our squad.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
I still think Herd is close to prem quality.  He (for me) was our most consistent player last season (Way above our supoosed player of the year "Ireland")  Still think he has a useful place in our squad.

Herd was pretty good last year though like a lot of our own products he looks like a 'Jack of all trades' type. He scored some important goals last season. That said, i think he's the type of player who'd do better for a McLeish than a Lambert if you get what I mean?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal