collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Grealish  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Jack Grealish
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
A story on the OS caught my eye this morning.

Jack Grealish will be looking to continue his excellent progress at Villa after scooping a top accolade at international level.

The talented winger received the Republic of Ireland U17 Player of the Year award for his impressive displays during European Championship qualification over the past 12 months.

Grealish scored three goals in six games to help the boys in green reach the Elite Round of the European U17 Championships.

The award caps a terrific year for the Solihull-born winger, who has sparkled for Villa at U18 and U21 level, as well as helping the club reach the knockout stages of the NextGen Series for the second year running.

Grealish, who joined Villa at the age of six, was also named on the bench for the Barclays Premier League game against Chelsea last March and penned his first professional contract back in September.

The 17-year-old attacker was presented with the Ireland U17 Player of the Year award by Wolves striker Kevin Doyle at an FAI ceremony in Dublin last month.

After collecting the prize, he tweeted: "Thank you everyone for your messages.

"It is hard to reply to you all! It was a great achievement for me.

"Life is all about winning things and making your family proud.

"It was a great night and was great to meet the Irish first team!"

Grealish enjoyed a mesmeric rise to Villa's first team squad last season, earning a surprise call-up for the top-flight clash against Chelsea at the age of just 16.

He was handed the No.41 jersey and was an unused substitute for the 4-2 defeat at Villa Park.

Grealish made a string of appearances for Villa in their Barclays Premier Reserve League South title-winning success and in the run to the quarter-finals of the NextGen Series.

In the summer, he also helped the claret and blues reach the final of the Hong Kong International Soccer Sevens.

This season he has been a regular at U21 level and also scored twice for the U18s in a 4-2 win over Tottenham Hotspur.

Does anyone know much about this kid? I've only ever heard his name a few times last season when our injury problems saw him make the bench. If he's won such an accolade from a country with some good youth systems then he must be half-decent.

Future star to get excited about?

Offline Mazrim

Re: Jack Grealish
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »
I think so.

He's a winger, very good close control and vision. He's more of a trickster than a flyer.
He could be exceptional. Jordan Graham is in that category too but unfortunately he's out for the season.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
Looks really promising but not sure how much he'll progress under the current regime in terms of first team squad given Lambert's reluctance to use wide players. Samir Carruthers also looks good when I've seen him but again as a wide player not yet getting much of a look in.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
Compilation video if you don't mind squinting.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
Carruthers is more of a central attacking midfielder. A playmaker, if you like.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
Is life all about winning things? Shit, better get me act together...

Were there some recent rumblings about him being a bit unhappy at Villa with a lot of his team-mates leaving? Could have sworn I read something about that.

Good to see the next crop of Irish lads gradually coming to the fore. Graham Burke made his debut at Bradford (though, in hindsight was the wrong sub to make when we were about to face a barrage of corners) and Mikey Drennan from my town has been banging in the goals for the Elite squad all season.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »

Were there some recent rumblings about him being a bit unhappy at Villa with a lot of his team-mates leaving? Could have sworn I read something about that.

Good to see the next crop of Irish lads gradually coming to the fore. Graham Burke made his debut at Bradford (though, in hindsight was the wrong sub to make when we were about to face a barrage of corners) and Mikey Drennan from my town has been banging in the goals for the Elite squad all season.

Nice photo for you here, Eamonn:

http://www.astonvillapictures.co.uk/aston_villa_irish_players_2011-12/print/8190499.html

and here:

http://www.astonvillapictures.co.uk/aston_villa_irish_players_2011-12/print/8190533.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:03:05 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »

I think he just tweeted about him being sad seeing players leaving nothing more.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
I have only seen Jack play once. He came on as a sub in a next  gen game. Believe me he is going to as good as Sir Brian.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Some of these boys have been together at the Academy since they were 10/11 so it's deflating   to see few of your team mates not getting contracts and being released at the age of 16/17 but that's life and it will toughen him up to make the most of his own talent.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
We seem to have a healthy Irish contingent in the youth/reserve teams.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
I have only seen Jack play once. He came on as a sub in a next  gen game. Believe me he is going to as good as Sir Brian.
No pressure then :)

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
I think Burke came in against Tranmere and looked really good but this thread is about Grealish and I may be wrong?!?!

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Hey! A promising youngster! We haven't seen one of those coming through in recent times...

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
His little sister is in my daughter's class at school and his cousin is in my little boys class. It is always good to see a local lad doing well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal